Why become a member? ×

I have a bass player neighbour!

AndyTravis

Sat in the garden and can hear someone plodding through bass exercises, they’ve been at it for a good hour - more than I’ve practiced for months.

Fair play, I remember how exciting that first voyage of discovery into bass was. 

I need to play more.

So that’s definitely a 4th bass player I know of on our estate. Lovely to hear that familiar thump.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, AndyTravis said:

... I’ve put a note on the community page to say “keep it up - sounds great” ...

That'll counter-balance the other neighbours (you know: the grumpy ones...) with their 'Turn it down..!' notes. xD

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dad3353 said:

Just as soon as the Grumpy Ones find out where that sound is coming from..! 9_9

(Oh, not that kind of Bash..? OK, then -_-...)

If I actually plugged my rig in I dare say the neighbourhood watch team would flip...0A71D782-0FCC-4CB7-9E4E-8DB27EA8D8CC.thumb.jpeg.d52c00dbed0c28e3c13adb81fbb0eda1.jpegAC410888-800A-4737-A229-305827E1F74F.thumb.jpeg.961dc40023891307fe6e24c740730ee1.jpeg

• Like 2

We were out for a walk yesterday and as we walked back into the village there was someone in a shed giving a drum kit some stick. Not very musical and sounded more like they were just seeing what sound each drum and cymbal made over and over. But they were in a shed hitting a drumkit, and that's what counts. 

🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Maude said:

We were out for a walk yesterday and as we walked back into the village there was someone in a shed giving a drum kit some stick. Not very musical and sounded more like they were just seeing what sound each drum and cymbal made over and over. But they were in a shed hitting a drumkit, and that's what counts. 

🙂

Maybe tuning the kit, in preparation for shed-building..? ;)

Edited by Dad3353
  • Haha 2

I was out with my nine year old lad last week. Walking past one of his school friends houses I spied a Fender bass headstock of some sort in the living room.

The family walk past our house to the park most days so I got chatting to the dad who it turns out is the bassist.

He’s been using lockdown to get properly into it while his daughter is learning guitar. Used his time a bit more wisely than me then. 

Edited by bassbiscuits
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, SH73 said:

I don't understand why someone would want their distant neighbours to hear their bass playing, surely it can be done with closed windows (not that hot yet) or at lower volumes?

When i was 15 I used to fire up a 100 watt amp feeding a 150 watt 80s Peavey amp and thrash through every song I knew over and over. It was fun! 

1 hour ago, uk_lefty said:

When i was 15 I used to fire up a 100 watt amp feeding a 150 watt 80s Peavey amp and thrash through every song I knew over and over. It was fun! 

When I was 15 I plugged my bass into family hifi radio/amp blew one speaker. When I was 17, I had a Peavey black widow 300 w, still have it storaged. Gain on full playing Anastasia- Pulling Teeth. My neighbours loved it all the time as they used to say, have you been playing again. I know now what they meant.  

• Haha 1

Loosely related but I had a new neighbour move in last weekend. I did my usual "if bass frequencies are coming through the wall, let me know" type spiel to which she replied "It's okay, my ex is a drummer - if anything I will be asking you to turn up!" :sun_bespectacled: 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, SH73 said:

When I was 15 I plugged my bass into family hifi radio/amp blew one speaker. When I was 17, I had a Peavey black widow 300 w, still have it storaged. Gain on full playing Anastasia- Pulling Teeth. My neighbours loved it all the time as they used to say, have you been playing again. I know now what they meant.  

When I was in my early teens and just starting to learn bass, our old neighbour was a lovely old lady who used to say she loved to hear young ones doing what young ones did. She never complained and it must have been some horrific sounds coming through the wall. I cringe when I think back and realise that those types of people are very rare indeed.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ubit said:

When I was in my early teens and just starting to learn bass, our old neighbour was a lovely old lady who used to say she loved to hear young ones doing what young ones did. She never complained and it must have been some horrific sounds coming through the wall. I cringe when I think back and realise that those types of people are very rare indeed.

I couldn't say the same about our neighbours when I was a child/teen. But I would play Time if the ancient mariner bass solo several times a day to cheer them up

• Like 1