Why become a member? ×

Pedal That Gives "Palm Muting" Effect?

thebrig

Is there a pedal that can give a palm mute effect? I know I should be doing it with my palm, but since severing a couple of tendons in my hand almost a year ago, and the onset of arthritis in both hands, I find it very difficult to do.

I consider myself lucky that I can still play, albeit, with some pain, but some of the songs we play require some palm muting, so I was wondering if there is a pedal that I could just kick in to give me a muting effect as and when needed, I've tried foam which works well, but sometimes I only need the muting in parts of the songs so its not really practical.

4 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Very true, and they don’t come up for sale very often either 

When we do eventually get back to gigging again, I often use a different bass so I would need more than one of these.

Out of interest, do they come off without damaging the finish? I'm a bit wary of sticking things on my basses.

1 minute ago, thebrig said:

Out of interest, do they come off without damaging the finish

They fix with double sided tape, I originally had it on one of my jazzes and it came off with no damage, but I wouldn’t trust that to happen to one with a nitro finish

32 minutes ago, ezbass said:

That might be worth a punt

Edit: Thinking about it, it would still prevent me from being able to change to muting during the song as and when needed 🤔

Edited by thebrig

You could try the Source Audio C4 pedal with an envelope with a quick attack and very short sustain to emulate the muting? You can use your dry signal with the envelopes in the pedal. Probably the closest you’ll get to emulating a physical technique with an effects pedal. @Quatschmacher could probably be more specific about the details. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, dodge_bass said:

You could try the Source Audio C4 pedal with an envelope with a quick attack and very short sustain to emulate the muting? You can use your dry signal with the envelopes in the pedal. Probably the closest you’ll get to emulating a physical technique with an effects pedal. @Quatschmacher could probably be more specific about the details. 

Thanks I will look into what they can do

In the past, I was muting with my pinky. It's another (not so well) known technique, but it's very effective when mastered.

That said, I ended up putting an Elio Martina Bass Mute that @jrixn1 mentioned on my gigging main bass, which was way more easy for the lazy guy I can be.

On 06/04/2021 at 00:09, rze99 said:

John Deacon used foam up against the bridge which works well.

I've used foam in the past which does work, but in some songs I only want the muted effect in certain parts, hence the need for something I can kick in and out when needed

9 hours ago, thebrig said:

I've used foam in the past which does work, but in some songs I only want the muted effect in certain parts, hence the need for something I can kick in and out when needed.

Sorry missed that point. As a guitarist. when I play bass I find I just do this automatically on both guitar and bass, playing with a plectrum. Wen playing bass with finger I do what Sting does  - use my thumb and mute with my palm.

I'm playfully imagining some form of G bender -like contraption that automatically lifts a mute under the strings when you pull down on the strap....

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, rze99 said:

...I'm playfully imagining some form of G bender -like contraption that automatically lifts a mute under the strings when you pull down on the strap....

We're on it; just a few little kinks and details to sort out :| ...

KHw4LVg.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1