gareth

Is this a fraud?

27 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I will be very impressed if the police do show any interest - I have never known them to before 

Someone once said 

‘In Britain, everything is policed except crime’

1 hour ago, paul_c2 said:

Taking the thread title, "Is this a fraud" - no it is not, because nobody has (yet) suffered a loss. There is no crime of "attempted fraud", it must be complete to stick a charge of fraud (legally) onto someone.

My understanding is there is a crime of 'attempted burglary'(even where the burglar does not manage to get away with goods) and certainly 'attempted murder'(even when there is no loss of life).

So are you sure that 'attempted fraud'  is not a crime?

I understand police officers are naturally incentivized by the existence of an angry victim. 

But just because no one has actually lost anything might not mean that a crime has not taken place. But without an actual loss, 'proving intent to commit a crime maybe more onerous(and therefore require more work)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TJ1 said:

My understanding is there is a crime of 'attempted burglary'(even where the burglar does not manage to get away with goods) and certainly 'attempted murder'(even when there is no loss of life).

I understand police officers are naturally incentivized by the existence of an angry victim. 

But just because no one has actually lost anything might not mean that a crime has not taken place. But without an actual loss, 'proving intent to commit a crime maybe more onerous(and therefore require more work)

This is part of the reason the fraud legislation was overhauled. An ‘attempt’ is defined as an act that is more than merely preparatory. You don’t even have to go that far with the Fraud Act.

30 minutes ago, gareth said:

Someone once said 

Sad but becoming truer and truer

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, TJ1 said:

Fully addressed in a previous post.

2 hours ago, gareth said:

Someone once said 

'Someone'..? Mark Steyn. Enough said. -_-

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dad3353 said:

'Someone'..? Mark Steyn. Enough said. -_-

If you like that you’ll love this one

It has become very apparent that British policemen are very aggressive when dealing with the passive, and very passive when dealing with the aggressive.

I suppose it’s because who wants to police the unpoliceable - much easier to police the policeable

A message here, I think...”

• Like 1

A message falling on deaf ears here. I've better to do with my time, including nothing. -_-

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, gareth said:

If you like that you’ll love this one

It has become very apparent that British policemen are very aggressive when dealing with the passive, and very passive when dealing with the aggressive.

I suppose it’s because who wants to police the unpoliceable - much easier to police the policeable

A message here, I think...”

What a load of old tosh.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Can someone who is on FB Marketplace copy&paste the guidelines/rules/advice it gives on sending payments? Thanks

I couldn't see any mention of payments at all in the UK Bass Gear for Trade and Sale group.

Just:

Some simple rules for the group.
1) Always include a picture, location and fixed price
2) Don't just put a link up to an Ebay listing, pre loved or anywhere else. It will be deleted
3) absolutely no auctioning or asking for offers. If you want a valuation ask elsewhere
4) Please remove your post once an item is sold
5) if you are looking to trade an item please put up the trade value of it

5 hours ago, TJ1 said:

At least in NZ there used to be a crime of ''going equipped'' for a burglary, meaning the cops didn't even have to catch you in the act, they only had to catch you carrying the tools.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

What a load of old tosh.

And the world is still flat

Hey fellers

Remember even the Flat earth society has members all round the world

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, deepbass5 said:

Hey fellers

Remember even the Flat earth society has members all round the world

Ha ha. All around the world. Very good. I like that 👍

4 hours ago, gareth said:

And the world is still flat

If you'd seen my garden you'd know that that's not true. -_-

3 minutes ago, Supernaut said:

The real shock here is... two grand for a bass... buying blind. 

I recently had a buyer from Derby who paid 2k for one of my amplifiers on the strength of a few pics - sent a courier with the money - I got a phone call from him later to say how delighted he was with his buy - so it can happen.

😎

• Thanks 1

FYI..................

Thank you for your email and I'm so sorry to hear what's happened.

I'd like to assure you that we are treating this as a formal complaint. One of my colleagues from the Customer Advocacy Team will be reaching out to you within the next four business days to discuss your complaint in more detail and talk you through the next steps.

Due to data protection regulations, I’m not able to give you any details about our investigation into your case. However, if you have shared any account/card details with a scammer or sent a payment to them, please inform your bank about this and they can contact us directly.

If you haven’t already done so, I’d also suggest reporting this scam to Action Fraud, who are the National Fraud and Cyber Crime Reporting Centre for the UK. You can find their website by clicking on this link, or you can call them on 0300 123 2040. They may be able to look into your case further for you.

Please do reach out if you have any further questions - we're happy to help.

Kind regards,

Megan Jones
Customer Advocacy Team, Monzo Bank

• Like 2