Why become a member? ×

How I turned my £30 P Bass Copy into a Pro Instrument

greghagger

2 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

Nah, it's a flex.

You've come onto a bass forum, had your post ripped to shreds and attempt to elevate yourself by talking of the venue sizes that you are reputably playing at.

Flex.

If it wasn't a flex, you wouldn't need to state such things.

You do know that anybody can google your name, and derive the required to raise an eyebrow? 

Anyway...

Absolutely, all the information is out there online if anyone wants to look!  Nothing to hide there! 

Anyway about that neck 😜

Just now, greghagger said:

Yep the bulk of my gigging work is was in the West End.  

Well done 10 points for being able to use Google.  Keep going though...

Corrected for you.

I think you think too much of yourself if you think I'm gonna spend more than the 30 seconds it took to find out all I needed to know.

Theatre (West End or not) <> Stadiums/Arena.

Get a grip and get your flex game in check.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

Corrected for you.

I think you think too much of yourself if you think I'm gonna spend more than the 30 seconds it took to find out all I needed to know.

Theatre (West End or not) <> Stadiums/Arena.

Get a grip and get your flex game in check.

You are absolutely hilarious my friend. I’m just a working pro who also has an educational website.  That’s it!  I’m proud of what I do but I certainly don’t think too much of myself, whatever that means anyway.  

If you are going to try and have a pop at me then do the proper research or you are going to start to look a bit foolish.  You certainly won’t find anything online to contradict what I am saying.

as I said previous, I am happy to talk basses with you but not interested in this playground banter!  Go troll someone else...

Guys come on - I think the point has been made with civility early on, but watching this descend into a pack of trolling BC'ers is frankly very unpleasant. We're better than that.

Greg - I've now watched your video and checked your YT channel. Great job for the time and effort you've put into spreading the word about bass to a wider audience and fantastic that you're up to nearly 4K subscribers. 

I hope that you and all the musicians on this thread, who've had a torrid time financially over this past 12 months, get to see some light at the end of the tunnel really soon.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

15 hours ago, Ricky Rioli said:

I once did some searching for opinions on wiring a split in parallel, and found quite a few people being straightforwardly dismissive of the idea. Are these people simply blinkered, or is it that the DiM has enough welly not to be enfeebled by the parallel wiring?

I've been stupid for the idea of those pickups since I came across a demo video of an early 80s Ibanez Blazer and was told that the glorious sound was probably a combination of one of them and Rotosound 66s.

It's thinner-sounding but I'd say still useable, did the same thing with a push/pull pot on another P fitted with a Model P. In fairness the see-through one's so heavy it has its own gravitational field & weather systems, meaning it doesn't get played too much. That & the neck's a bit sh!t. :D

Regarding that Ibby Blazer - don't know if I'm about to shatter any illusions - but they weren't fitted with DiMarzios as standard. A lot of people assume they were because of the hex poles & cream covers, but that was the fine art of imitation at work there. Ibanez called it a 'Super P-4', and they were probably made by Maxon.

And just to keep things a bit more on-topic - I have done the OP the courtesy of watching his video. Hmm.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Bassassin said:

Regarding that Ibby Blazer - don't know if I'm about to shatter any illusions - but they weren't fitted with DiMarzios as standard. A lot of people assume they were because of the hex poles & cream covers, but that was the fine art of imitation at work there. Ibanez called it a 'Super P-4', and they were probably made by Maxon.

I never knew that! I always thought they were DiMarzios. Still, they sound great!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Bassassin said:

I've checked my illusions and there seems to be no damage at all - if they look and sound the same, then what I've understood about the noise they make is intact, right? :)

I did wonder about a cheap instrument, as it was then, having a brand name pickup.... Naivety, will I never shake myself free of you?! 😔

As per @Al Krow's post. This is a very friendly and inclusive forum, and reading this thread doesn't show Basschat at it's finest. People are struggling with lockdown but just prior to that we had the whole #BeKind movement which doesn't seem to have fully extended to this thread.

If you don't like a thread, opinion or video, go find something else on Basschat that you do like. @greghagger, please do get involved in the rest of the site too. Your videos obviously show you to have a certain level of experience and something to offer so please help by supporting the rest of the site too. It's a great community.

It'd be a shame to lock the thread which has developed some interesting discussion because of a few silly comments that drag it down for everybody else.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

I subscribed to @greghagger

's free email service, which I've found mainly useful (I didn't expect everything to be relevant to me).

I appreciate the effort that people like Greg put into getting this material together, and although I'm no fan of YouTube, still find ot useful on occasion.

I block YouTube videos on this site by default, and only unblock them if they're of interest.

I suggest those offended by this sort of thing do the same. 'YouTube Culture' is a thing, but so is going out  of the way to be offended/outraged/appalled by other people's posts.

Man up.

I still sadly remember how Scott from SBL was hounded by some BC people - not a good look.

Live & let live.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Maybe it's the way some go about things is what annoys people.

Anything which overtly pushy or marketing speak I switch off. Which is why I haven't and won't check out Greg's videos.

Also, anyone using caps in the title - DON'T!!!!!!! No need to shout. *Rant over* 🤣

• Like 1

What a way to start the week! (I know it's already Tuesday, no wise-cracks necessary)

What @Cat Burrito said (three posts above) – this thread has shown a hint of 'angry mob with pitchforks' – chill the feck out people

Mods: Maybe we need a sticky or whatever to lay down some rules about self-promotion via Youtube etc so we can avoid hurting people's feelings

Edited by Fishman
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ricky Rioli said:

I did wonder about a cheap instrument, as it was then, having a brand name pickup.... Naivety, will I never shake myself free of you?! 😔

Not without precedent though - in the early 80s Hondo - which was definitively far more in the bargain-basement low-end cheap copy arena than Ibanez ever was - started having DiMarzios fitted as standard on a lot of models. For a while used ones were a good source of bargain pickups! They also featured on cheaper (while not cheapo) instruments like Westbury & MIJ Vox.

Yeah I know it's OT but I like to think I'm contributing to the thread not getting locked! :D

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Bassassin said:

Not without precedent though - in the early 80s Hondo - which was definitively far more in the bargain-basement low-end cheap copy arena than Ibanez ever was - started having DiMarzios fitted as standard on a lot of models. For a while used ones were a good source of bargain pickups! They also featured on cheaper (while not cheapo) instruments like Westbury & MIJ Vox.

Yeah I know it's OT but I like to think I'm contributing to the thread not getting locked! :D

I have one of said Hondo’s and would say it’s a very good bass. From what I have read online having sullied their reputation making some really shoddy instruments Hondo tried to revive their reputation by making instruments in Japan again in the same factory as Tokai. I have a MIJ Hondo Professional with the Dimarzios it is a lovely bass. I bought a Hondo 2 at a bargain price hoping it would be as good. It  wasn’t 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, tegs07 said:

I have one of said Hondo’s and would say it’s a very good bass. From what I have read online having sullied their reputation making some really shoddy instruments Hondo tried to revive their reputation by making instruments in Japan again in the same factory as Tokai. I have a MIJ Hondo Professional with the Dimarzios it is a lovely bass. I bought a Hondo 2 at a bargain price hoping it would be as good. It  wasn’t 

True that - Hondo tried to position itself upmarket in the early 80s, as Japanese brands like Ibanez & Aria Pro were transitioning to original designs with pro endorsements. I've read about this idea of Tokai Gakki in Hamamatsu building Hondos but there's no evidence for it - Tokai was a small concern that had to outsource its own production to the likes of Kasuga Gakki so it's doubtful they'd have taken on high-volume OEM mainstream brand production. However there are Matsumoku-stamped Hondos, & very high quality stuff came from Samick in Korea, who built the majority of the brand's output.

Don't know which manufacturer this came from - but I want one:

HondoPP2.thumb.jpg.1785904becc7cbedd186a9ca97b10345.jpg

• Like 5

That’s one of the few double P’s where I really like the aesthetics.
Is it a Hondo decal on the headstock?

I would definitely buy another MIJ Hondo Professional if I saw one. QC is definitely not of the Tokai or Aria Pro 2 standard.. a bit of DIY is required but it’s a half decent instrument for small change (or was the whole lawsuit cobblers /mythology may have changed that)?

Edited by tegs07
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, tegs07 said:

That’s one of the few double P’s where I really like the aesthetics.
Is it a Hondo decal on the headstock?

Yes - it's a Hondo.

qwu2a5dku3ehmvsn2qtc.jpg

There was one on Reverb, in Italy. Not my idea of Hondo money, tbh!

https://reverb.com/uk/item/32293146-hondo-professional-bass-hp1216-vintage-year-1981-made-in-japan-matsumoku-factory

FWIW I don't think it's Matsumoku - that's a Chushin bridge used on MIJ Washburns & other Chushin-made basses, never seen one on a Matsumoku.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1