Why become a member? ×

How I turned my £30 P Bass Copy into a Pro Instrument

greghagger

6 minutes ago, greghagger said:

I’ve give you one guess at what modification a teenager in the early 90’s foolishly thought might have been a good idea! 😂

Either re-shaped the headstock, or more likely, defretted (badly!)

:D

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, greghagger said:

To answer your last point first, the idea of this video isn’t to find out the cheapest way to get a bass.  But if you are up for making a video on that, I would watch it. 

I brew beer, and I’m pretty sure I can buy it cheaper, but I love the process and also enjoy picking the hop profile and malts for the final taste.  That said, in regards to my bass, I knew I wanted Bare Knuckle pickups and if I had brought one of the brands you mentions and replaced the stock pickups, it would work out more expensive that way.  Essentially you can get a bespoke instrument that doesn’t cost the earth with sentimentally as well, which is very appealing to some people. 

To start answering your other questions, I am going to hunt for my old neck and post a photo when I find it.  You will then realise why I replaced the neck.  I’ve give you one guess at what modification a teenager in the early 90’s foolishly thought might have been a good idea! 😂

Thanks for the reply, look forward to seeing the neck!!

I know it’s not about getting the cheapest bass, and I see your video is there to encourage others, it was more about contextualising for people out there and for increasing the content of the video.

Regards company made basses, I get you about buying and swapping, but let’s not forget off setting cost with selling other parts, buying second hand etc.

The main reason for the context is and @tegs07 (who also pops together a mean bass) has played a couple of my bitsa’s with judicious buying and patience - sometimes buying new you can get an incredible deal and bass. One I did was mainly new parts (aside from tuners) but it was very specific - however it cost less than a max fender new for example and I know would blow it out the water.

Another I did would be equivalent or slightly less to a second hand mex fender - and again would hammer them (assuming my time is free and non charged)

That was more the angle that may encourage more I was referring to, which I think is the purpose of the video if I am correct

Edited by Cuzzie
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

Thanks for the reply, look forward to seeing the neck!!

I know it’s not about getting the cheapest bass, and I see your video is there to encourage others, it was more about contextualising for people out there and for increasing the content of the video.

Regards company made basses, I get you about buying and swapping, but let’s not forget off setting cost with selling other parts, buying second hand etc.

The main reason for the context is and @tegs07 (who also pops together a mean bass) has played a couple of my bitsa’s with judicious buying and patience - sometimes buying new you can get an incredible deal and bass. One I did was mainly new parts (aside from tuners) but it was very specific - however it cost less than a max fender new for example and I know would blow it out the water.

Another I did would be equivalent or slightly less to a second hand mex fender - and again would hammer them (assuming my time is free and non charged)

That was more the angle that may encourage more I was referring to, which I think is the purpose of the video if I am correct

Ah, sorry misunderstood your first reply! 

After putting this bass together, I sold my 50th Anniversary Fender P-Bass (I think I have the anniversary correct here!).  The Fender bass went for £800 and it came nowhere near to the sound of this bass.  I sold it because I knew I would really play it anymore.  

Ah, the ship of Theseus.

Going to pretend I knew of it before Wandavision.

Or as must of us UK 'chatters will call it - "The broom of Trigger".

For feedback and future reference, I think the reason this has rubbed some people the wrong way is that the title of the video and sentence you left underneath the link just invites us AWAY from the forum, presumably to your benefit (Views etc), without contributing something to the forum directly. 

As a side note, I see you've since seen there was a more appropriate place to post it on this forum too, which shows that you didn't do your due diligence. 

You win or you learn. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, BadHands said:

Ah, the ship of Theseus.

Going to pretend I knew of it before Wandavision.

Or as must of us UK 'chatters will call it - "The broom of Trigger".

For feedback and future reference, I think the reason this has rubbed some people the wrong way is that the title of the video and sentence you left underneath the link just invites us AWAY from the forum, presumably to your benefit (Views etc), without contributing something to the forum directly. 

As a side note, I see you've since seen there was a more appropriate place to post it on this forum too, which shows that you didn't do your due diligence. 

You win or you learn. 

“I didn’t do my due diligence” 😂 come on man this is a casual bass guitar forum.  Where is all this self-importance coming from?  

If the post doesn’t interest you then move on and leave it for the ones who are interested.   If you are put off by the fact that the video is hosted on my Greg’s Bass Shed YouTube channel, and the free pdf means that you end up on my website (which by way offers a lot of free resources to help bass players learn) then also move on!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ped said:

See? It’s the YouTube mentality. Eventually they all learn that click bait only gets them so far, and then the insults start. The sense of entitlement comes with the territory. 

Interesting that sharing a video is click bait and interesting that previous insults were allowed to happen.  Look back near the beginning of the thread if you missed it! 

No entitlement here, I just think that it’s fair enough that I can answer the comments, especially the insulting ones.  

To be fair though, the positive comments about bass have been great and the video is aimed at those interested.  Others don’t have to watch it and can choice whether to get a bee in their bonnet or not about marketing! 

It is a bass forum after all and we are not saving lives! 

11 minutes ago, greghagger said:

Interesting that sharing a video is click bait and interesting that previous insults were allowed to happen.  Look back near the beginning of the thread if you missed it! 

No entitlement here, I just think that it’s fair enough that I can answer the comments, especially the insulting ones.  

To be fair though, the positive comments about bass have been great and the video is aimed at those interested.  Others don’t have to watch it and can choice whether to get a bee in their bonnet or not about marketing! 

It is a bass forum after all and we are not saving lives! 

The point is that you only ever come to post your videos and when called out on it you call people keyboard warriors etc. You obviously have some great knowledge to share, it’s just a shame you don’t do it in the spirit of the forum but instead use the forum to bump up your views on your channel. Again, no law against that but don’t be surprised when people get a bit guarded against it. 

Your lack of ‘due diligence’ shows in that you clearly haven’t sensed the vibe of the forum and could in fact do a much better job of turning us into viewers if you tried. 

Anyway best of luck with it! Maybe pay someone to help you with marketing. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, ped said:

The point is that you only ever come to post your videos and when called out on it you call people keyboard warriors etc. You obviously have some great knowledge to share, it’s just a shame you don’t do it in the spirit of the forum but instead use the forum to bump up your views on your channel. Again, no law against that but don’t be surprised when people get a bit guarded against it. 

Your lack of ‘due diligence’ shows in that you clearly haven’t sensed the vibe of the forum and could in fact do a much better job of turning us into viewers if you tried. 

Anyway best of luck with it! Maybe pay someone to help you with marketing. 

Thanks for your advice.  Unfortunately because of COVID and my job as a professional bass player being taken away for over a year now, I don’t have the income to pay a marketer.  Online bass education is something I have been doing for a few years now, and it has been especially important to me to keep my family going over the last year. 

So yes, maybe I do sometime misread a group or get my marketing off.  BUT I do think that some people are losing a bit of perspective here.  After all Basschat is fine with people posting their YouTube videos.  I have learnt over the last few years that jealousy does also come into play. The very fact that someone puts a video out on YouTube makes a particular sort of person jealous that they ether can’t or haven’t themselves. 

By ‘keyboard warrior’ I mean the general sheep mentality that you sometimes find online. One person slags something off and predictably the online bullies pile in.  It’s easy to hide behind their computers and I’m not sure of the boldness that would actually happen in a real life exchange. 

Anyway the post is out there, enough important opinions have been cast.  Let’s move on and if anyone wishes to chat about the contents of the video and basses in general, I would be very happy to oblige!  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, greghagger said:

Where is all this self-importance coming from?  

I think you've misread the tone of my message. It was so you could learn WHY the people at the top of the thread took umbrage with your video/title/post, and what you could do to make your posts more effective and ultimately get you more views next time. 

On 03/04/2021 at 21:36, greghagger said:

Find out how I turned my £30 cheap bass into a pro instrument. 

This P bass sounds excellent and is really nice to play too.  Get some tips from the video so you can do the same thing yourself. 

Some people have mentioned triggers broom but I say that if you got yourself a decent bass for a modest amount of cash then good for you, most of those people are probably the same ones that will buy a £200 Squier and spend another £200 modding it.  Got to say, I love the bridge on that bass

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, BadHands said:

I think you've misread the tone of my message. It was so you could learn WHY the people at the top of the thread took umbrage with your video/title/post, and what you could do to make your posts more effective and ultimately get you more views next time. 

Read my message above. Happy to talk about basses my friend! 

7 minutes ago, shoulderpet said:

Some people have mentioned triggers broom but I say that if you got yourself a decent bass for a modest amount of cash then good for you, most of those people are probably the same ones that will buy a £200 Squier and spend another £200 modding it.  Got to say, I love the bridge on that bass

Cheers, it would actually be interesting to find out more about the bridge.  Maybe someone has some knowledge of Encore bridges?