Why become a member? ×

How I turned my £30 P Bass Copy into a Pro Instrument

greghagger

4 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

£200 neck.. £100 pickup...

Triggers Broom?

What a great sketch!  You are the third person to mention that today!  

yep £200 neck, £100 pickups, £30 body - what a bargain for a great bass! 

You tempted to have a go putting one together? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, PaulThePlug said:

'Prolly just go for a Harley Benton or a Squier...

Good plan, you can pick up a good instrument if you shop carefully!  If you happen to have an old bass laying around and you are adventurous, you could end up with a bespoke instrument for similar money with pickups of your choice! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

No need, the next post told me to spend big. Problem solved.

Ha ha!  If you have the cash, then why not! 
Obviously not the video for you then, leave it to the ones who are interested in this sort of thing.  

2 hours ago, greghagger said:

This P bass sounds excellent and is really nice to play too.  Get some tips from the video so you can do the same thing yourself. 

1 hour ago, greghagger said:

Watch the video if you are keen to find out!  

How different people choose to upgrade their instruments could be an interesting topic, but your posts are against the spirit of a forum, which is to discuss and share ideas and information openly.  You use it only a place to spam your YouTube channel.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 4

This is like that "Are YOU A Boring Bass Player?" guy all over again.

Looks like the OP's been a member here for 12 years - surprising then, that it hasn't clicked that we're largely a bunch of middle-aged, highly experienced, frequently pro/semi-pro musicians, many of whom will have been knocking up bitsa basses for the last three or four decades!

Oh, and here's one I made earlier. :)

pink1200.thumb.jpg.dff4fa9278980e35f71954fbbfc4274f.jpg

Edited by Bassassin
  • Like 10

3 hours ago, Bassassin said:

This is like that "Are YOU A Boring Bass Player?" guy all over again.

Looks like the OP's been a member here for 12 years - surprising then, that it hasn't clicked that we're largely a bunch of middle-aged, highly experienced, frequently pro/semi-pro musicians, many of whom will have been knocking up bitsa basses for the last three or four decades!

Nice bass!  Obviously the video wasn’t meant for someone with such experience as you have, but I am sure others don’t have as much experience as you and judging by the response to the video, on YouTube, this is an interesting topic for many. 

4 hours ago, jrixn1 said:

How different people choose to upgrade their instruments could be an interesting topic, but your posts are against the spirit of a forum, which is to discuss and share ideas and information openly.  You use it only a place to spam your YouTube channel.

Thanks for your perspective, I’ll run my posts through with you first to ensure that they are suitable for you! 

• Sad 1

Hey @greghagger there’s no rule currently against people coming here to advertise their YouTube channel although it does look a bit like spam when it’s the only thing you post. You’ll see that the demographic here is quite different from the sort of audience you might need to attract via YouTube itself. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Bassassin said:

Instead of being happy to concentrate on the transparent body and the pg-matched headstock, I find myself with three questions: what does the little switch do? is that a Di Marzio PAF? does anyone ever use tort for the block inlays on a maple fretboard?

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, ped said:

Hey @greghagger there’s no rule currently against people coming here to advertise their YouTube channel although it does look a bit like spam when it’s the only thing you post. You’ll see that the demographic here is quite different from the sort of audience you might need to attract via YouTube itself. 

Cool, point taken and great that there is a forum for bass mods as I found out from @LukeFRC

Thanks for your reply as it’s good to get a mature discussion rather than some of the earlier immature, slightly trolling comments! 

Also I am always happy to get involved and help out when one of my posts raises a discussion as what has happened with some of my earlier topics.

Good advise though, much appreciated.

• Like 1