Why become a member? ×

Current doubler - reverse to half?

SumOne

I'm fairly sure this is a stupid question:

I've got a current doubler (combines 2x 9v pedal power supply outputs go into 1x with same voltage but double current ) I now need the opposite: 1x power supply output split into 2x low current pedal outputs.

I assume I just use the cable in reverse with no dramas (it's going from a  single 9v 500ma current output so is more current than both pedals need). But is there anything potentially wrong with this, like will it also be halfing the voltage to each output? I've already tried it and seems to work fine, not too sure of the voltage thing though and if it could cause damage giving lower than needed voltage? 

https://www.andertons.co.uk/t-rex-current-doubler-green-cable-55cm-currentdoubler?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=surfaces&gclid=CjwKCAjwpKCDBhBPEiwAFgBzj5qCGrK48b9bWw3KoHlamjcyQwLKgye9sJkT5LyzorMCLJ9Mo65xyBoCOXIQAvD_BwE

You just need a daisy chain cable.  Analogue pedals are usually ok with sharing a power supply though it helps if the 9v outputs on your power supply are isolated.

Digital pedals prefer their own dedicated supply but you can always try it and see if you get much noise.

https://www.andertons.co.uk/guitar-dept/guitar-pedals/pedal-power-supplies/tourtech-5-way-dasiy-chain-pedal-power-cable

The above is for a 5 way but search around and yo'll find a 2 way somewhere.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, BillyBass said:

You just need a daisy chain cable.  Analogue pedals are usually ok with sharing a power supply though it helps if the 9v outputs on your power supply are isolated.

Digital pedals prefer their own dedicated supply but you can always try it and see if you get much noise.

https://www.andertons.co.uk/guitar-dept/guitar-pedals/pedal-power-supplies/tourtech-5-way-dasiy-chain-pedal-power-cable

The above is for a 5 way but search around and yo'll find a 2 way somewhere.

Yeah, there are 2 way ones cheap, I've just bought one for £2.99. I was just trying to be tight and reverse-use the current doubler I've already got though as I assume (but aren't sure) it's basically the same thing. 

Edited by SumOne

1 hour ago, AJ567 said:

The current doubler is just a 2 way daisy chain, used 'backwards'. So yes you can also use it the other way round as you propose (which is the same thing as a 2 way daisy chain used in the normal way). 

Nice one.

^^^

The current doubler works fine by going  2x male plugs into 2x female sockets of a multiple output power pack - then going into one male plug into the pedal that needed high current (or in reverse to power 2x pedals with half the current). 

It won't half the current reversed (well obviously it kind of will since it is then only plugged into 1 single power outlet at half the power, but that would be screaming obvious, and so would any other regular pedal power cord. It won't half the current of that one power outlet though), otherwise daisy chaining would be worthless, but I assume that wasn't what you actually meant?

Also no electrical device ever in history has been damaged by receiving lower power than needed, it might just not work as it is supposed to or might not work at all.

In fact feeding distortion and fuzz pedals with lower voltage than needed to work as intended is actually an old trick to get the sagging dying battery effect which some people desire for some applications, some dirt pedals even implement a voltage sag control in their design, though it doesn't work equally well for all dirt pedals. 

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

20 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

I stand corrected then.

I am curious to which does then though?

Power amps pre introduction of all the fancy low voltage protection cutouts draw extra current until the fuse blows. Sometimes the fuse doesn't blow in time to prevent damage.

Edited by Downunderwonder
  • Like 1