Why become a member? ×

String options for U-bass

Matt P

I bought myself a Kala U-bass (the mahogany acoustic one) many years ago and after a few months i swapped over to a set of the Aquila thunder reds, i've just been playing it and the A string has started to develop cracks around the 3rd to 7th fret area ( a quick check of my pile of musical receipts shows i bought these strings in August 2015 so they've not done badly). I've put the original strings back on as a temporary fix but i think it's time for some new ones and the available range seems much bigger than last time i looked so i thought i'd see what people had tried before i buy some.

these are some of the options i've seen, (at Bassdirect) which ones have people tried and how do they compare with each other?

Aquila  "Thundergut"  - White, red or black, 

Aquila  "Silver Rumblers", 

Pyramid roundwound string U Bass

Pahoehoe Black strings

KALA roundwound string set for U Bass, 4 

Galli Flatwound set for U Bass, 4

Galli Nylon Coated set for U Bass, 4

the Galli Nylon's look quite tempting as i've used nylon tapewound on other basses and quite liked the feel but at 50 quid a set their not the cheapest (but i know they will last a very long time)

Any comparisons or reviews would be gratefully received.

Thank you

Matt

1 hour ago, owen said:

I think I have a set of Pyramid roundwound string U Bass unused which I would be happy to sell at 60% of whatever they cost if you fancy them.

that's a very kind offer, i will keep it in mind, i've been watching reviews on youtube and it seems like the roundwounds give more of an electric bass sound, i'm not sure if that is what i'm looking for but i'll keep my options open.

Matt

1 minute ago, owen said:

For what it is worth, I keep going back to the flobadob originals. Nothing thuds quite like them.

this is kind of what's happening here, i only had the originals on for a few months (in 2015 whan i bought it) but they feel pretty good, just need them to settle down and stretch in properly. Maybe i don't need to buy new strings!

matt

• 3 weeks later...

I have the Kala/Galli flatwounds on my Ubass - bought from Mike Upton at the LBGS.

As these aren't as thick as the Pahoehoes/thunderguts etc, the nut had to be recut - Martin at the Gallery did a splendid job of this. The strings eare easier to play than rubbery ones but still have a low tension, however they sound tighter and more focussed. I hope they last forever as they weren't cheap.

53 minutes ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

I have the Kala/Galli flatwounds on my Ubass - bought from Mike Upton at the LBGS.

As these aren't as thick as the Pahoehoes/thunderguts etc, the nut had to be recut - Martin at the Gallery did a splendid job of this. The strings eare easier to play than rubbery ones but still have a low tension, however they sound tighter and more focussed. I hope they last forever as they weren't cheap.

ahh, that sounds interesting, i'm quite enjoying the original strings at the moment but i might make the leap and try out the flatwounds if i don't bankrupt myself with my new 5 string build 😀

thanks

matt