Why become a member? ×

Using gloves whilst playing

ReeV0

Hi guys,

In order to complete a fancy dress look, I need to find some black gloves to wear whilst playing. Does anyone have any suggestions? I need some gloves that will still allow me to do fast fretting on the left hand, with slapping/fast fingerstyle on the right hand. Would something like silk gloves do the trick? Just thinking because they should be pretty low resistance...

Thanks

Inspired by the Cameroonian bass player Etienne Mbappé our old friend @xilddx regularly rocked a pair of black silk gloves and expressed his complete satisfaction.

Xilddx bought his gloves from Jasmine Silk, possibly these https://www.jasminesilk.com/silk-gloves-liner-black/p30 although it was ten years ago and his gloves might have been different.

On the subj. of gloves M. Mbappé has himself observed:

Lots of readers want to know… why do you wear the gloves when you play?
I wear black silk gloves because they keep my strings bright, and I really like the bigger and smoother sound they provide.

And the second most popular glove question: how can you play and slap and still get that brilliant tone?
Not that easy to do, but I am used to it now! That took a lot of time and a lot of practice to get used to those gloves. And you know what? They are becoming more famous than I am with the not-so-easy-to-pronounce name, MBappé. Just say, “the bass player with the gloves”, and people will say “oh yes…”

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Nail Soup said:

Oh, come on!  Scott wears white gloves :facepalm:

White? You're thinking of Dirk. And it was socks, not gloves. 🙄

3 hours ago, Maude said:

Only for refereeing snooker matches, for playing bass they're usually a very pale ecru. 

😁

Ecru? Surely they're silver!? 🤷‍♀️

Edited by Ricky 4000
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...