Why become a member? ×

Mr Brightside - The hit that just won't die

Nail Soup

BBC news just said Mr Brightside by the Killers has become the longest chart song ever or something. 

"According to the Official Chart Company, Mr Brightside is streamed 1.2 million times a week on average, and has sold 3.52 million copies since it was first released in 2003."

Mr Brightside: The hit that just won't die - BBC News

Here's some others.

image.png.7270c53c9b16457f57e917035169f2b3.png

Wow, it's 18 years old, I guess that qualifies it as a modern classic. The song was everywhere when I was at Uni, many fond memories attached to it. That's probably why it's streamed so much, folk in their mid 30's trying to hang on to their youth 😂

Edited by Crawford13
  • Like 2

Reading the BBC article, it’s actually quite cool how chuffed he is to write a song that has stood the test of time and to have written another ‘Streets Have No Name’ or whatever.

It’s one of those songs that you can shout along to after a few beers, even if you can only know some of the lyrics. As long as you remember ‘jealousy’, ‘price I pay’ and ‘Mr Brightside’, you’re good to go! 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, gareth said:

I always liked this version with some very nice bass lines

I don't get it? The bass is simplified to eights (the best bits removed) and the drums (and the track) have had all the life sucked out of them?

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Wow, it’s streamed 1.2 million times a week ,  I had to google it and still don’t know it😁

You’re not alone, well up to a point, I’m aware of the title and The Killers (I’ve heard the tune  previously, somewhere or other, now that I’ve listened to the YT link). However, if you asked me to hum it, I wouldn’t know where to start without being reminded of it.

Our cave looks rather splendid IMO. 😁

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, peteb said:

Reading the BBC article, it’s actually quite cool how chuffed he is to write a song that has stood the test of time and to have written another ‘Streets Have No Name’ or whatever.

It’s one of those songs that you can shout along to after a few beers, even if you can only know some of the lyrics. As long as you remember ‘jealousy’, ‘price I pay’ and ‘Mr Brightside’, you’re good to go! 

If I had a hundred quid for every time I've played that song in front of a bunch of happily singing punters...oh, wait...I pretty much have... 😀

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

29 minutes ago, ezbass said:

You’re not alone, well up to a point, I’m aware of the title and The Killers (I’ve heard the tune  previously, somewhere or other, now that I’ve listened to the YT link). However, if you asked me to hum it, I wouldn’t know where to start without being reminded of it.

Our cave looks rather splendid IMO. 😁

I only know it because my daughter did it for her Rock School Grade 5 bass exam.

No, because not only was it a very lifeless version, it's also nearly nine minutes long...I managed about half that...I've just gone back, and yep, it's the same stuff, just with some distant vaguely Hooky-type noodling starting at 7:45...still don't get it. It's probably just me... Although Hooky starts a song like that, at least... 😀

Edited by Muzz

1 hour ago, Muzz said:

No, because not only was it a very lifeless version, it's also nearly nine minutes long...I managed about half that...I've just gone back, and yep, it's the same stuff, just with some distant vaguely Hooky-type noodling starting at 7:45...still don't get it. It's probably just me... Although Hooky starts a song like that, at least... 😀

Well I like the noodling and I think the noodling is mighty fine noodling 😂😂😂

33 minutes ago, BassApprentice said:

To be fair, if you listen to a lot of Killers Mark Stoermer has a very distinctive tone and has some nice bass lines too. 

Good song with a lot of memories attached to it. 

I think he’s a very good bass player with a distinctive sound 

If you listen to some of his bass lines ask yourself could I have created these?

• Like 3