Why become a member? ×

New Sadowsky singlecut

TheGreek

Looking interesting...

https://www.guitarworld.com/news/sadowsky-launches-all-new-single-cut-24-fret-masterbuilt-bass-in-a-range-of-configurations

Sadowsky launches all-new single-cut, 24-fret Masterbuilt bass in a range of configurations

By Sam Roche a day ago

Each of the three variations features Sadowsky Soapbar pickups and a selection of high-end appointments

Sadowsky Masterbuilt 24-Fret Single-Cut Bass 

Following the announcement of limited-edition MetroLine and Masterbuilt bass guitars earlier in 2021, Sadowsky has added a trio of fresh Masterbuilt models to its lineup.

Each boasts the same deep-cut body shape and 24-fret, five-string configuration, but specifications differ between the three.

First up, there's an Olympic White-finished model, which features a chambered swamp ash body and a roasted birdseye maple neck and fingerboard with black dot inlays.Sadowsky Masterbuilt 24-Fret Single-Cut Bass

The second sports a chambered okoume body and Natural Transparent-finished Brazilian rosewood top, roasted flame maple neck and fretless ebony fingerboard. The third features a chambered swamp ash body with a spalted maple top, maple neck and flame maple fingerboard with black dot inlays. Sadowsky Masterbuilt 24-Fret Single-Cut Bass 

Sadowsky Masterbuilt 24-Fret Single-Cut Bass Other features present on all three models include active electronics – including Sadowsky Soapbar pickups and a three-band EQ – Dunlop Straplok systems and black hardware.

Says Sadowsky: “These three powerful and elegant single-cut five-strings represent what one can expect from the Sadowsky Masterbuilt models: Finest woods, best hardware and the devotion of the luthier down to the smallest detail.”

These Masterbuilt models are handmade to order, and have a delivery time of between five and six months. For more information, head to Warwick.

Get updates from all sorts of things that matter to you

Edited by TheGreek

41 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

Check the price on the link - you may think the price is an April Fool

About £7,500 for the ones that aren't listed as 'price on request', that's puting them well into Fodera territory.

• 4 weeks later...

I like the look - not over keen on the price tag...

https://www.notreble.com/buzz/2021/04/23/sadowsky-announces-masterbuilt-24-fret-single-cut-bass-models/

Price: $7,960

Sadowsky Masterbuilt 24-Fret Single Cut Bass, Fretless 5-String – Natural Transparent High Polish Specs:

Strings: 5
Body: Chambered Okoume
Top: Brazilian Rosewood with Black Accent Line
Neck: Roasted Flamed Maple
Fingerboard: Ebony
Frets: Fretless
Inlays: White Quarterlines
Pickups: Sadowsky Soapbars
Electronics: Sadowsky Treble/Bass boost tone circuit with Mid Boost and active/passive switch
Hardware: Black
Straplocks: Dunlop Flush Mount System
Price: $10,590

Sadowsky Masterbuilt 24-Fret Single Cut Bass, 5-String – Natural Transparent High Polish Specs:

Strings: 5
Body: Chambered Swamp Ash
Top: Spalted Maple Master Grade with Black Accent Line
Neck: Maple Maple
Fretboard: Flamed Maple
Frets: 24
Inlays: Black Dot
Pickups: Sadowsky Soapbars
Electronics: Sadowsky Treble/Bass boost tone circuit with Mid Boost and active/passive switch
Hardware: Black
Straplocks: Dunlop Flush Mount System
Price: $7,620

Edited by TheGreek

Gross.
Sadowsky appears to have become such a confused brand. I know this gets mentioned every time the brand does now, but they’ve gone from a simple, easily identifiable product range, where there was guaranteed quality top to bottom to something where the bottom rung is/was a catalogue of errors and a top line that’s not even made by the master luthier whose name is on the headstock. 

Edited by M@23
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, jonno1981 said:

So I could buy a custom shop p bass, jazz bass, a rick 4003 and probably still have change to get a secondhand nt warwick for the same money AND still have change for the bus ride home. I just don’t get the pricing model. 

My guess is the people these are aimed at already have all those and a handful of Foderas too.

• Like 2

The Warwick pricing means that their Sadowsky Masterbuilt 'limited run' production basses are in many cases more expensive than one off, custom built NYC single cut basses which are  still being built by Roger Sadowsky and his team. A look on the 'recently sold' section of the Sadowsky site reveals a number of single cut basses which were on average about $1,000 cheaper than the Warwick limited edition.

For example, just on the Sadowsky site is this single cut for the price of $6,950: 

8710_1_optimized.jpg

Granted, the woods on the above NYC are  not as exotic as the Warwick Masterbuilt basses, however, when it is possible to order/buy a Sadowsky built by Roger Sadowsky for a lower price point (and a considerably lower price point compared to the $10k plus models), it does raise a few eyebrows.

It is a tricky one for Warwick, as if one of their craftsmen/women spends the same amount of hours on a Sadowsky Masterbuilt as they do on a Masterbuilt Thumb  or Streamer, (which generally are sold at similar prices to the Sadowsky Masterbuilt line) then the prices will need to be charged by Warwick accordingly for the time spent on them by the craftsmen involved.

The prices are eye-watering, but Warwick have been charging similar fees for their limited Masterbuilt runs of Warwick basses every year, so I would guess there is a market for them. 

As it is, I love Les Paul guitars but I just don't like single cut basses.

Edited by thodrik
the usual poor grammar and punctuation
  • Like 1

I've found the Warwick pricing strategy quite odd for a number of years, simple as that. As above, why would I spend money on a Warwick Masterbuilt when it's comporable (or perhaps more expensive in some cases) than a 'real' NYC Sadowsky.
I kinda get the cheaper Sadowsky being outsourced, but yeah, the masterbuilts are confused.

The whole process from start to finish has been a marketing disaster quite frankly (IMO), which is a shame, because clearly Sadowsky is one of the top names in the bass world.

Si

On 24/04/2021 at 22:23, M@23 said:

Sadowsky appears to have become such a confused brand. I know this gets mentioned every time the brand does now, but they’ve gone from a simple, easily identifiable product range, where there was guaranteed quality top to bottom to something where the bottom rung is/was a catalogue of errors and a top line that’s not even made by the master luthier whose name is on the headstock. 

On 28/04/2021 at 17:35, Sibob said:

The whole process from start to finish has been a marketing disaster quite frankly (IMO), which is a shame, because clearly Sadowsky is one of the top names in the bass world.

These two posts summed up pretty much what I have been observing. I hold Roger in high regards, had and used a few of his basses (both Metro and NYC) and a RV5 Metro in white is still on my list but really... I am following all of this with a sunken heart. It all could and should have been going differently. 

• Like 1