Why become a member? ×

Hi! Thought I should post my transcriptions here, and update it whenever I do a new one. 

Transcriptions

All created for personal use and tuition, with a few commissions too. Some of the older ones are a little less consistent in quality and appearance, so I'm going through those and updating them when I get the chance.

Edited by Huw Foster
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

the_jacksons-triumph_2008-frontal.jpeg.1a5d7271bf8aa3852d1b23770f5be19a.jpeg

New transcription:

The Jacksons  - 'This Place Hotel' (a.k.a. 'Heartbreak Hotel') [notation / tab]

Bass by Nate Watts

I did a video for this one 10 years ago, when I still had hair (just). A student requested it a transcription, so I've revisited it. At the time of the video I thought that the original bassline was played in drop D, although it could conceivably be in Eb, which is how Nate Watts tends to tune his bass. It's hard to tell on the recording - there could be the occasional low D? Anyway, that's how I've transcribed it, but feel free to try in Eb!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Teena Marie - 'I Need Your Lovin' [notation / tab]

Original bass by Allen McGrier. Great bassline! The bass part and the song in general sound to me like something Rick James would write, which makes sense as he was Teena's mentor.

Video here, although unfortunately WMG have blocked it in most countries. If you have a VPN, go wild!

Edited by Huw Foster

Rudimental feat. John Newman - 'Feel The Love' [notation / tab]

Original bass: Renell Shaw (breakdown only - the rest is programmed synth)

Decided to transcribe this one as it's a request at a wedding I'm playing this week. Synth interpreted for bass guitar with octave pedal and other FX for the majority of the song, then clean electric bass for the breakdown.

All other transcriptions here

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

John Legend feat. BloodPop - 'A Good Night' [notation / tab]

Original bass: Ely Rise (keyboard/programmed)

Another wedding request. Tailor-made to be a first dance, which is a bit cynical tbh, but that's how the industry works! 

Original bass is definitely a virtual instrument played on keyboard, which means some of the jumps are a bit tricky if played on electric. A bit repetitive too... but hopefully other bass players will find this when in need of a quick chart at some point! 

All other transcriptions here

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

R-369059-1508891836-4210.jpeg.jpg.62d67a8f2477bb4a796b0d6c09897a01.jpg

Been a while since my last transcription!

Here's a classic that's been done many times. However, I just wasn't happy with the quality of some of the transcriptions I could find out there, so when a student requested this one, I quickly put together my own transcription.

Queen - Another One Bites The Dust [notation / tab]

Original bass: John Deacon

Transcriptions archive

Edited by Huw Foster
  • Like 1

On 15/01/2022 at 05:21, iconic said:

Wow, just realised I remember being so impressed by your Jermaine Jackson cover on YouTube and, here you are......Highway P bass? 

Thanks for taking the time and effort Huw, great work😎

Thanks! I look a bit different these days, haha. 👴🏻

My P-bass (still the only I've had) is a Fender Classic 50s vibe*, bought from this very forum in 2010 I think. It's probably my most recorded bass, every engineer I've worked with has loved it.

*Is that the model? I can't find it online anymore. It's Mexican-made, and was highly sought-after at the time - I think they were mostly made around 2007.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

A Patreon request! Hadn't heard this smooth jazz tune before. Bass sounds like it's synthesised, maybe using a Fairlight or something similar?

Transcribed for 5-string, but I did a 4-string version if anyone wants it - just let me know.

Sherry Winston - 'Love Mission' [notation / tab]

Original bass: Eddison “Elektrik” Sainsbury

Transcriptions archive