Why become a member? ×

Machine head position

verb

On 01/04/2021 at 08:42, verb said:

Hi,

I'm hoping some of the more experienced builders here can give me some advice.

What is the recommended or minimum distance from the machine head hole edge to the edge of the headstock?

TIA

Verb

It depends on the machine-heads themselves.  Strength-wise, there isn't really an issue, but it needs to be far enough in to make sure the back of the machine-heads or the top washers don't end up hanging over the edge, and far enough out to make sure that the tuner knobs don't hit the headstock.  On most of mine that usually ends up at 7-9mm but, as I say, it depends on the machine heads and the angle you are planning to fix them at.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

It depends on the machine-heads themselves.  Strength-wise, there isn't really an issue, but it needs to be far enough in to make sure the back of the machine-heads or the top washers don't end up hanging over the edge, and far enough out to make sure that the tuner knobs don't hit the headstock.  On most of mine that usually ends up at 7-9mm but, as I say, it depends on the machine heads and the angle you are planning to fix them at.

Thanks for your reply.

It is the strength that is my concern. My initial headstock design gives me 13mm of wood between a 17mm diameter hole and the headstock edge, without any overhang of tuner or washer, and plenty of knob turning room.

1 hour ago, verb said:

Thanks for your reply.

It is the strength that is my concern. My initial headstock design gives me 13mm of wood between a 17mm diameter hole and the headstock edge, without any overhang of tuner or washer, and plenty of knob turning room.

Plenty :)

• Like 1