Why become a member? ×

Why are dealers posting in the classifieds?

dave_bass5

Question

Ive noticed a few, but one in particular that posts basses for sale on a regular basis in the classifieds. 

My question is what constitutes a dealer and a private seller?

Ive not got a problem with it as such, just wondering what the difference is. 

Edited by dave_bass5

3 answers to this question

They shouldn’t be - let me know if you identify any and I’ll have a word. 

For clarity, I classify a dealer as someone who has a commercial profile on eBay and/or Reverb and/or a website shop. 

Without those I’m afraid all by myself I’m not able to prove one way or another and I know there are a few sellers who get through basses more quickly than I do clean pants but like I say flag it if you find it!

Cheers

ped

• Haha 1

Cheers Ped. I dont to come across as a CHIS (sorry, got that stuck in my head at the moment lol). I’m talking about those who buy to sell, then sell on here and other places. Definitely not a just gear head’s with high pass though. 

I thought one or two might be so obvious it was just allowed for a certain reason, thats really why I’m asking. Ive no idea if they have web based shops or not. Wouldn't surprise me if they did though. 

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Cheers Ped. I dont to come across as a CHIS (sorry, got that stuck in my head at the moment lol). I’m talking about those who buy to sell, then sell on here and other places. Definitely not a just gear head’s with high pass though. 

I thought one or two might be so obvious it was just allowed for a certain reason, thats really why I’m asking. Ive no idea if they have web based shops or not. Wouldn't surprise me if they did though. 

Feel free to flag any that you’ve seen - if I can find a web shop or commercial presence they will get the boot. I suspect there are several who definitely come under the HMRC definition of a trader but as a one man operation I am not able to do anything if they say they aren’t and I can’t prove it either way, which is frustrating but no way around it. Another idea would be to limit the number of sales per year but that would require some adapting of the software which isn’t happening for the foreseeable. I’m banging my head against a brick wall most of the time these days

• Sad 1