Why become a member? ×

Is this a 70s japan made p bass?

Martyno

You asked if it’s a good deal - personally I’d avoid this one, it’s got low quality tuners and the body is not solid, so for me this is a cheap bass and wouldn’t be worth the risk or extra money needed to put it right. Not liking the look of that neck either to be honest. 

Edited by Chiliwailer

Yeah, I wasn't sure about the layered body either. The owner actually said it seemed to have been kept in moist conditions for a long time, so he refurbished the neck and scraped off the name. He said on one side it said "Maple" and on the other "made in japan". And he doesn't have a picture from before, so it seems a bit sketchy. Also mentioned that the potenciometer, jack input and strings need changing. Anyways, thank you for the replys, can't wait to dive into this community!

• Like 1

£15 car boot trash, on a very good day.

Doubt it's MIJ, has what looks like a mahogany neck which on instruments like this (mid 70s or later, at an educated guess) is typical of Korean manufacture, as is the wonky, half-formed headstock shape. The missing/broken tuner could be a hint at that too - Korean versions of this style (originally Gotohs) have chromed plastic keys which crack & fall off, which is likely what happened to the original.

It's in an awful state, original finish stripped & badly Ronsealed, showing the cheap & nasty plywood build, random, broken components. Not even any use for firewood as plywood burns really badly.

B2ED4A42-7AA2-480E-8F35-A33E520A7EC0.gif.43bd259d82dcae8409876db115dd8119.gif

"Don't bother chucking that on the fire".

Edited by Bassassin
  • Like 1