Why become a member? ×

How did you get into it?

paul, the

Hello all,

This is currently unchartered territory for me, but I hope to be a little more comfortable around here in future.

I love to read through the build diaries, but am sadly too ignorant to post. But even though I haven't tried building myself, seeing other peoples' builds helps me to view my basses less as scary alien creatures that make pretty sounds and more as (in most cases) a skillfully crafted instrument made of wood, hardware and electronics.

Anyway, to finally get to the point; when I feel more confident that I can be tangibly creative, I'd love to know where to start.

So how did you all get into building basses?

Cheers,

Paul.

Spur of the moment purchase off evilBay. Body and neck. Something to keep me occupied. Definitely want to do it again at some point in the future.

A good place to start would be something that needs some TLC to get going. Try an eBay search for "bass project", "bass body", "bass neck" etc.

[quote name='neepheid' post='3361' date='May 21 2007, 08:47 AM']Spur of the moment purchase off evilBay. Body and neck. Something to keep me occupied. Definitely want to do it again at some point in the future.

A good place to start would be something that needs some TLC to get going. Try an eBay search for "bass project", "bass body", "bass neck" etc.[/quote]

Hey, thanks man. I've been searching for a long scale mahogany bodied EB-3 copy in non-cherry (I see you have an eppy). Although I'm not certain one exists. So I might try and collect bits.

I want to respray my p-special too, but that's not so much of a build. And I've done one before.

I'd like to hear about from tree to bass. But a bit of TLC sounds like a good start.

Paul.

[quote name='paul, the' post='3635' date='May 21 2007, 02:49 PM']Hey, thanks man. I've been searching for a long scale mahogany bodied EB-3 copy in non-cherry (I see you have an eppy). Although I'm not certain one exists. So I might try and collect bits.[/quote]

You missed out on this recently, not an EB-3 but a Les Paul stylee in white. I was tempted.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=007&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=170108479518&rd=1&rd=1"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...p;rd=1&rd=1[/url]

I was also hellish tempted by this, but I figured (and I've been told) that I should play the one I've just finished for a while at least.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=010&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=200106445681&rd=1&rd=1"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...p;rd=1&rd=1[/url]

I've always wanted to build my own but never have the money to back my ideas. I've had so many ideas (most likely unplausable). A Fenderman Jazzray, which had the body and pickguard of a stingray with the lovely neck of a Fender Jazz and the pickups to match. And the Jackson Thunderbird, a Thunderbird with Jackson neck. Probably for the best mind, I'd probably make a mess of it.

i broke my first bass :)
but then made a headless head bit and modded the tuners and hey presto
then decided i wanted to change the colour and so on just got a bit carried away

its all about trying to make what you have better, or atleast for me it is anyway