Why become a member? ×

Not as question to ask of ladies but..

You’ve probably had enough of how old I am. But just to say I hope I’ve got one or two more gigs left in me. I’ve got two in the diary and our weekly residency will resume again soon. And I can do a two hour gig no trouble at all.

But the trouble is that, even looking back ten years ago, I look so bloody old. It’s embarrassing to me and it must be embarrassing to the band.

So I’ve got most of my kit up for sale, I’ll just keep a bass and an amp- in case.

And I’m taking BA55 ACE off the car. It’s irrelevant

Sob

Edited by bassace
  • Sad 2

7 hours ago, bassace said:

... And I can do a two hour gig no trouble at all.

But the trouble is that, even looking back ten years ago, I look so bloody old. It’s embarrassing to me and it must be embarrassing to the band.

I reckon the only person at the venues you play that cares about your age is yourself. You wrote that you could do a 2 hour gig and I presume you can remember the songs, so what's the issue?

• Like 2

Despite being 48 myself, most of my bands are guys in their early to mid 50s. I assume I am there for the youth vote?! No wonder we're not more successful! We did a gig during 2020 with a 56 year old guitarist (obligatory pointing out of social distancing measure etc being in place etc) and some of the other guys are good to go for post lockdown shows. On the plus side, they are all vacinated now whereas I am still waiting.

Oh and reading this thread, a Basschat Happy Birthday to @Nail Soup who apparently reaches a thread appropriate 55 today. 

63 here and last few years before COVID were very busy  also some of the most enjoyable playing music I really loved. We were mostly a function pub band doing covers which appeared to go down very well. Looking forward to playing with a couple of the guys after lockdown  in a three piece one of them being 70 but still has the voice to impress.

The average age of my band members has been dropping lately as the newest recruits are all 20's and 30's. When we formed nearly everyone was greying to grey. Big band jazz still alive and kicking and playing to young and old.

8 or 9 years ago one of the trombone players was chuffed not to be the youngest in the band any more, looking at me. Trouble for him was he was mistaking my youthful looks and demeanour for less trips around the sun. It turned out I had four or five on him. Crestfallen about covers it. I had to call him Junior after that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1