Why become a member? ×

What's your favourite hardware colour?

What's your favourite colour for the hardware on a bass?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favourite colour for the hardware on a bass?

• Chrome
    • Nickel
    • Black
    • Gold
    • Don't have any preference
    • Rust!
    • That strange satin hardware Ibanez used to use
    • Cosmo black

I’m with Bob, it depends on the colour of the bass.

Still can’t understand why we’ve not perfected white hardware yet. It’s been about 30 years since I first asked why it hasn’t happened yet 🤣

• Like 1

Much prefer the appearance of chrome or nickel, irrespective of bass colour really. Black can be okay but not if it makes the bass look too rock/metal.Can’t stand gold, either to look at or especially when it tarnishes which it seems to do quite readily. I don’t like gold finishes on anything really though - watches and jewellery etc. Somehow looks a bit cheap/tacky to me. 

1 hour ago, Dood said:

I’m with Bob, it depends on the colour of the bass.

Still can’t understand why we’ve not perfected white hardware yet. It’s been about 30 years since I first asked why it hasn’t happened yet 🤣

It has. It's all powder coating - but white hardware looks pretty naff in most cases.

43f7c805ccfa0dee4b021c8c1b222d94.png

Jack White telecaster

Edited by EBS_freak

Depends on the Bass, Styling and Finish. Both of mine are black hardware on plain wood finish... 

But the Ibanez Cosmo Black, a sort of Smokey Silver, not quite gun metal, but rather than sparkly chrome is nice and a little understated.

Gold will usually clash with the frets (so may look nice on a woody fretless) n strings...

Edited by PaulThePlug

3 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

It has. It's all powder coating - but white hardware looks pretty naff in most cases.

43f7c805ccfa0dee4b021c8c1b222d94.png

Jack White telecaster

Blimey, how did I miss that! (for more reasons than one!!)

57 minutes ago, Dood said:

Blimey, how did I miss that! (for more reasons than one!!)

Yeah, it's all doable - it's all dependant how much you are prepared to pay for it.

For example, black hipshot is just power coated. If you are looking at a specific colour, I'm sure that Hipshot will take you some unfinished hardware for you to then send off to your local power coaters so you can have whatever colour applied to it, whether it be matte, or gloss etc. Hipshot are super, super accommodating in all my dealings with them.

2 minutes ago, Chezz55 said:

I think 'Gold' hardware is just wrong on any bass, guitar or drum kit.

Glad it's not just me, I can't get on with gold hardware at all. I passed on a load of nice Ibanez BTB basses when I was looking for one a while ago because they all had gold hardware.

I've got two Ibanezes with a darker colour chrome hardware which I like, not sure what Ibanez call that, Schaller do straplocks that colour and call it "Ruthenium" but I'm pretty sure that's not what they're made out of.