Why become a member? ×

TRADED elsewhere, mods please close. Ibanez Mikro 5 string bass + gigbag
£170
CARDIFF

Marc S

The 5 string version of this bass doesn't come up very often (certainly here in the UK) - In fact, they seem to be unavailable in Europe currently too. Not sure if they've been discontinued?
I think this bass is classified as "X-short scale" The scale length is 26.5".

Bought as a travel / backup bass, and took a punt, hoping the B string wouldn't sound "flabby". I was very pleasantly surprised at just how deep and resonant the B string is, and just how much sustain it has for such a short scale - I really didn't expect it to sound so good :)
From memory, I paid around £230 or £240 for this bass new, that was pre import charges and sans case / bag. I'm throwing in a really nicely padded gigbag (which I think I paid around £40 for)
In great condition - can't see any dings or scratches and there is no fret wear. In all honesty, it could probably do with a teak in the set-up, but it plays nicely so I leave that to the buyers taste.....

Pictured here alongside a Hofner Violin bass for size comparison.
I would seriously keep this, as it sounds so thunderous for such a tiny bass - but the string spacing is a tad too tight at the bridge end for my tastes (or possibly clumsy fingers! lol).....

No trades - I'm thinning the herd (unless you've got a Wingbass, Fingy or similar)
Collection / meet-up preferred.... and I've got a decent battery amp when travel is permitted.
I have the box this cam in originally - but of course that won't fit the nice, thickly padded gigbag

IMG_20210215_170115038.jpg

IMG_20210215_170131800.jpg

IMG_20210215_170154827.jpg

IMG_20210215_170103346.jpg

Edited by Marc S

Have just found one of these on eBay - it's in the US and is currently over £260 inc postage, plus you need to add $89 import charges .... obviously that's without the gigbag I'm offering (pics of that later). So grab a bargain.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ibanez-miKro-GSRM25-Bass-Guitar-Black/383998947390?epid=8025954311&hash=item59681ef03e:g:yMAAAOSwdQpfGd-0

Edited by Marc S

I've forgotten to get a pic of the bass with its' gigbag. Anyhow - just remembered it's one of these "Vintage" brand bags:
https://astrings.co.uk/products/vceg1?_pos=15&_sid=9f5045f1b&_ss=r

So the gigbag was about £30. It's in great nick (looks brand new) and very well padded, and I can't recall if it's slightly smaller than standard guitar-size?
It's obviously smaller than usual Bass-size anyway, and this tiny bass fits in very snugly :)

Edited by Marc S

12 minutes ago, alyctes said:

Where do you get strings for this?

I've seen them online, but can't recall which company. There are several suggestions of alternative brands on a thread on here somewhere - might have been on a thread re one of the short scale / picolo bass builds?

Thinking back, I'm sure I saw a set on eBay. The ones on this bass are the originals. I haven't played it much, sadly - so the strings are still pretty lively.

• Like 1

Here's a set of strings for the bass, on eBay. There's definitely a retailer for them in the UK (can't find them ATM) but this is what the pack looks like. EDIT: they weren't this expensive from the UK seller.

As I mentioned above - other BC members may recommend / suggest different strings for 26" scale basses.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ibanez-IEBS-5-Coated-Nickel-Wound-Mikro-Bass-Guitar-Strings-IEBS5CMK/333956815193?epid=18009172789&hash=item4dc1609959:g:3WYAAOSwM~BgdISt

Edited by Marc S
  • Like 2

Just a couple of pics of the nut & bridge, to show spacing / dimensions.
please note though - the end of my tape measure is a bit bent / wonky - so it wouldn't sit true i.e. take a couple of mm off total width for each photo.

Nut width = 42 or 43mm
String spacing at bridge is approx 15mm 

IMG_20210413_231113326.jpg

IMG_20210413_231211445.jpg

Edited by Marc S

Just to let anyone interested know...... I'm considering part-ex'ing this bass against something else locally.

Once it's gone. it might be rare to see one of these pop up again. There are one or two left in the US - and as I've said, when you factor in postage and import tax..... you be paying double this price

I bought this as a travel bass & handy backup, but I've now got something else.

Last bump for this bass.

I've come across someone who imported one of these recently, and he's kicking himself, as he paid double my asking price, plus a few quid.

If I get the right trade-in against it tomorrow (for some other musical equipment) it will be gone. PM this eve or in the morning if you're interested...

Edited by Marc S