Why become a member? ×

PA Hire - ideas appreciated

MattW

Hi All,

Wondering if I ask for some opinions on possibly hiring out my PA.

At the beginning of lockdown last year PA prices plummeted, so I bought a relative bargain PA system from HH.   It's their Tessen TNE range which I think are really nice.  I bought it to use with a new project I have on the go, but also with a mind to possibly hiring it out to other bands and musicians locally.  I always seem to end up doing the sound for whatever band I'm in, and quite like the idea of doing it without bass duties sometimes!  Now that gigs are starting to book I am giving it more thought.

The package I bought puts out  3.2kw out front via two  2x15 active speakers, and also has 3.2kw foldback via two 1x15 active monitors. All have anti-feedback which is a nice feature.  Mixer is basic but decent and has digital effects, two monitor mixes etc.   I have a fair few mics, stands etc plus I also have various guitar, keyboard and bass amps, so could more or less provide a whole backline.

So my question is, do you think it's viable, is there likely to be much demand and where should I look/advertise, and what sort of rates do you think I should charge?  

If anyone has experience of doing something similar I'd really appreciate your thoughts and experiences - good or otherwise!

I'm not looking to make a living out if it, but if it helps fund new gear and gets me out working with bands then I'm happy!

Thanks in advance.

I have a similar sized PA to yours and occasionally hire my self out (or did, until all the lockdown/covid nonsense started). Like you, I always end up doing sound in the bands I play with and having the rig gets me more gigs. More people want me to play for them because it comes with me (for a small consideration, of course).

As for viability/demand, it depends on your local scene. I generally find that the size of rig we own is not quite large enough for bigger, better paid shows. I get a few jobs, but it isn't likely to pay off the mortgage. That's fine with me - I already have the rig, I enjoy doing sound and it's a paid night out. You may find you need some extra monitoring. I have 4 monitors, which I'd consider a minimum - people expect individual monitors these days (and often individual mixes). I can give them 3 mixes, so I run stage right and left and rear of stage, which covers most modestly sized situations. How many channels on your mixer? 16 really is the minimum you'll need for all but very simple bands/jobs.

As far as advertising goes, how would you go about hiring a PA if you needed one? Advertising wherever you would look would be a good place to start. Have some cards and maybe small, inexpensive flyers printed and put the word out among the people you play with, at rehearsal rooms, local music shops, etc. I get most jobs via word of mouth, but I've been doing it for a while and know a lot of local musicians.

Some may ask you if they can hire your rig minus you and provide their own engineer. That's a definite no no, unless you go with it and keep an eye proceedings imho. If you're providing PA and monitors plus full backline, you'll likely struggle to transport, rig and operate that (especially breaking it down and transporting it home after a long day/night), so I'd factor in the cost of taking/paying an assistant. Mics get hammered. I don't use my best ones when hiring myself out. I take out mainly old 57s and 58s and let people chew, dribble over and tread on them and leave my decent ones at home. Take a very long extension cable, plenty of plugboards and a good quality trolley.

Edit: Forgot to mention. You'll often need a PAT test certificate and I'd get insurance. If one of your cabs falls on someone's head, you could be sued for a lot of money.

Edited by Dan Dare
  • Like 2

When I've been in the opposite position i.e. needing to hire, I've always found that it hasn't really made economic sense, as the cost of hire has tended to be considerably more than we were getting for the gig. My concern would therefore be making it cost-effective for bands/ensembles but also making it financially worth your while for doing it.

Bear in mind if you're looking at doing the sound yourself (rather than just handing the PA over) you'll need to be first one there and last one out, which can be a long day/evening and can make it not really financially-viable. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

I have a similar sized PA to yours and occasionally hire my self out (or did, until all the lockdown/covid nonsense started). Like you, I always end up doing sound in the bands I play with and having the rig gets me more gigs. More people want me to play for them because it comes with me (for a small consideration, of course).

As for viability/demand, it depends on your local scene. I generally find that the size of rig we own is not quite large enough for bigger, better paid shows. I get a few jobs, but it isn't likely to pay off the mortgage. That's fine with me - I already have the rig, I enjoy doing sound and it's a paid night out. You may find you need some extra monitoring. I have 4 monitors, which I'd consider a minimum - people expect individual monitors these days (and often individual mixes). I can give them 3 mixes, so I run stage right and left and rear of stage, which covers most modestly sized situations. How many channels on your mixer? 16 really is the minimum you'll need for all but very simple bands/jobs.

As far as advertising goes, how would you go about hiring a PA if you needed one? Advertising wherever you would look would be a good place to start. Have some cards and maybe small, inexpensive flyers printed and put the word out among the people you play with, at rehearsal rooms, local music shops, etc. I get most jobs via word of mouth, but I've been doing it for a while and know a lot of local musicians.

Some may ask you if they can hire your rig minus you and provide their own engineer. That's a definite no no, unless you go with it and keep an eye proceedings imho. If you're providing PA and monitors plus full backline, you'll likely struggle to transport, rig and operate that (especially breaking it down and transporting it home after a long day/night), so I'd factor in the cost of taking/paying an assistant. Mics get hammered. I don't use my best ones when hiring myself out. I take out mainly old 57s and 58s and let people chew, dribble over and tread on them and leave my decent ones at home. Take a very long extension cable, plenty of plugboards and a good quality trolley.

Edit: Forgot to mention. You'll often need a PAT test certificate and I'd get insurance. If one of your cabs falls on someone's head, you could be sued for a lot of money.

Thanks @Dan Dare that's really helpful, and good point about the mixer and monitor channels.   Mine's 16 channels but only 9 mic inputs and 2 monitors outs.  I either need to upgrade, or may get a second one and link them.

I had a look at Insurance before and it's not dear so will definitely get that before its first trip out!

7 hours ago, Jakester said:

When I've been in the opposite position i.e. needing to hire, I've always found that it hasn't really made economic sense, as the cost of hire has tended to be considerably more than we were getting for the gig. My concern would therefore be making it cost-effective for bands/ensembles but also making it financially worth your while for doing it.

Bear in mind if you're looking at doing the sound yourself (rather than just handing the PA over) you'll need to be first one there and last one out, which can be a long day/evening and can make it not really financially-viable. 

@Jakester Yep the finances are tricky.  Don't want to undersell myself but equally need to cover time and wear and tear.   Definitely don't want to do just hire unless it was to close friends.

Seems to be that £10/hour for me plus say £50 hire change would end up being somewhere around £100-£150 a night.   Can't decide if it's too much or not enough!   I'd be happy with that if it was a fun night though.

22 minutes ago, MattW said:

Thanks @Dan Dare that's really helpful, and good point about the mixer and monitor channels.   Mine's 16 channels but only 9 mic inputs and 2 monitors outs.  I either need to upgrade, or may get a second one and link them.

I had a look at Insurance before and it's not dear so will definitely get that before its first trip out!

A pleasure. If you're a MU member, you get insurance as part of your membership.

5 hours ago, MattW said:

Definitely don't want to do just hire unless it was to close friends.

That's one way to find out how close they are.

My advice ''sorry, I don't let it out'', and no exceptions. Otherwise it will get roadworn at best and wrecked is a strong possibility. You really don't want to be dealing with that.

Edited by Downunderwonder
  • Like 2