Why become a member? ×

NBD: Sire P7 Swamp Ash/Maple 3 tone S’burst

Sweeneythebass

I was hunting for a back up bass and after being denied finance found a 3.7kg Sire P7 v2 on eBay. Don’t usually buy on eBay but a Sire at this weight I couldn’t resist! 

I’ve played it for about 35 mins and it’s unreal, so playable thanks to that 38mm nut, rolled fretboard edges and super smooth finish. 

Already owning a V7 which I’ve been incredibly happy with (apart from its 4.8kg weight), I’m familiar with the preamp and this one definitely feels similar. It’s strung with the factory strings which I believe are D’Addarios 100-40 NYXL super zingy to my ears (I’ve been playing flat wounds or semi flats for 3/4 years almost exclusively) lots of snap when you pop 😁! Very refreshing to a flats lover. I was gonna swap in some Dunlop flats but I’m torn, I might just keep these on! 

So looks wise it’s pretty cool in a vintage-modern way, 3 tone sunburst body (with some grain a poppin!), white pearloid scratchplate and maple fretboard. The maple neck also has some graining going on at the back which is cool.0A67944F-F308-4DA7-B5FD-9EE467F4AF67.thumb.jpeg.2d41aa2e5586921702e8dfdbfc61fcf3.jpeg

Edited by Sweeneythebass
Update
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Sweet looking bass with that finish, I picked up the alder version P7 in white and have nothing but love for them, rock solid bass for the money.

I did opt to switch out the strings for flatwounds, it definitely loses a lot of the zing but that preamp lets it slap more than it probably should with some tweaks.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So NBD update!

Still enjoying this bass but the knobs are probably the worst part! The stacked knobs especially the volume and tone pot are stiff and when you move one on the stack the other moves with it! I’ve never changed tone/volume knobs. Any recommendations/suggestions/dummies guide to removing/replacing? 

On 01/04/2021 at 17:31, TheGreek said:

I bought a V3 5er - maple board and JJ pups. Wish I'd held out for a P3 with Rosewood.

If your V has a maple board, it must be a V7. 
There isn't a P3 unfortunately. If there was, I'd snap one up. I

6 hours ago, Sweeneythebass said:

So NBD update!

Still enjoying this bass but the knobs are probably the worst part! The stacked knobs especially the volume and tone pot are stiff and when you move one on the stack the other moves with it! I’ve never changed tone/volume knobs. Any recommendations/suggestions/dummies guide to removing/replacing? 

They might just be pushed down too far on the pots. Try pulling the top one up a scooch. Might be all you need.

Edit: I saw you say dummies guide, when I say pull it up a bit, unless there is a grub screw on the knob, it'll just be a friction fit and a pull should have it sorted. If there is a grub screw, back it off, pull the knob up a bit and then tighten again. 

Edited by MichaelDean
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, MichaelDean said:

They might just be pushed down too far on the pots. Try pulling the top one up a scooch. Might be all you need.

Edit: I saw you say dummies guide, when I say pull it up a bit, unless there is a grub screw on the knob, it'll just be a friction fit and a pull should have it sorted. If there is a grub screw, back it off, pull the knob up a bit and then tighten again. 

Thanks 🙏 thought it would be something simple. Still I seem to have a habit of messing up simple things 😂

18 hours ago, Sweeneythebass said:

On my V3 I noticed that the bottom knob on stacked mid would sometimes catch the top knob, when I took off the top one I noticed that the bottom one was slightly off centre when I rotated it.
To fix mine I loosened the screw and removed the bottom knob, fitted a small piece of masking tape to the opposite side of where the screw would tighten on the pot shaft so it would sit more central when rotating.
Making sure the top knob isn't jammed right down against the bottom knob also helps, either raising it a fraction or using a little lubricant of some kind helps.

• Thanks 1

Yeh, loosen the screw - that helps free them up a bit.

They are rubber (compared to the jazz versions plastic) due to issues on design. Unfortunately that means they're more prone to sticking together, but can be sorted with a bit of time.

Edited by la bam
  • Thanks 1