Why become a member? ×

SOLD SOLD .... Yamaha BB2000 1982 with orginal hard case
£1100
LONDON

Richard Jinman

Having recently bought a BB1600 to join my BB11000s I've decided to sell the granddaddy of my small herd, the BB2000. I bought this from a UK dealer on Reverb and it is everything they say it is. It's pretty gorgeous obviously with Yamaha's sunburst finish and the thru neck. And it has a sound to match: deep, deeply funky with amazing sustain if required. It's been described as the ultimate funk bass and that's probably true, but my chops aren't really advanced enough to prove it. Anyway, it's made in Japan (were any of these made in Taiwan?) and the serial number on the headstock is 068909. I believe this dates it to 1982. The bass came to me with the original case with its fetching (retching) green interior and the stickers. The frets are in incredible condition which leads me to suspect it's been refretted prior to my ownership. Tuners are straight, solid and the bass stays in tune. It's currently wearing a set of DR Sunbeams 45-105 which have plenty of life in them. The neck is straight and the action is comfortable. She does have some war wounds as you might expect for a bass that came out of the factory the same year Duran Duran released Hungry Like the Wolf. The most noticeable dings are on her backside near the strap lug and you can see them in the photos next to a 20p coin. There is a tiny (really tiny) scratch at the very dusty end of the neck which I've tried to show in a photo (but failed). The electrics all work as they should although I'm not the kind of basschatter who has the knowledge or confidence to pull a bass apart. You'll see in the photos there is some corrosion on the pup screws. In terms of weight I have done a very rudimentary (me plus bass minus me) weigh in on the bathroom scales which puts her at 4.7 kilos. This seems too heavy to be honest because Yamaha literature always lists the bass at 4.1kg. I''ll try to find some better scales, but I suspect the actual weight is closer to 4.1 than 4.7. The case is in decent condition with cosmetic damage to the plastic veneer on the handle. The clasps all work and it does a fine job of protecting the bass. 

Please ask me any questions you like. The bass is in central London (EC2 Y8DH) and I'm happy to do a socially distanced handover or courier it at buyer's expense. I'd be using UPS who cost a bit more, but have never let me down.  Thanks for reading, best Richard.

Tui-2.jpg

Tui-3.jpg

Tui-4.jpg

Tui-5.jpg

Tui-6.jpg

Tui-7.jpg

Tui-8.jpg

Tui-9.jpg

Tui-10.jpg

Tui-11.jpg

Tui-12.jpg

Tui-13.jpg

Tui-14.jpg

Tui-15.jpg

Tui-16.jpg

Tui-17.jpg

Tui-18.jpg

Tui.jpg

Edited by Richard Jinman
  • Like 12

Just now, Richard Jinman said:

Thanks silverfoxnik ... she's a lovely thing allright

+1

I've always rated the vintage Yamaha BB range of basses, having had a 300, 400 and 800 over the years which were all great in their own way.. 

But this one must be like the 'One Ring' of the BB range right?

One bass to rule them all, etc, etc... 😁

Yeah, I love vintage BBs too. There's something really simple about the design that's great, but it's still distinctive. I'm a reformed guitar player and I always owned Yamaha acoustics because they offered such amazing bang for the buck. The basses are the same IMO, although prices are creeping up of course. 

• Like 1

Mine is a shade over 4kg, I use a luggage scale. I have to throw some praise here too.. I have whittled my collection down to 7 basses now, and I can see I have 5 basses i can never sell. The quality of these, the playability, the tone ahh.. This is my 'PJ' of choice, and is my desert island bass for sure and the only bass tone complement i ever got..GLWS

• MB1 locked this topic