Why become a member? ×

Setting a combination lock?

ped

Hi folks

I'm doing some fettling of my 3 bass flight case and it occurs to me that I've never used the combination lock. It doesn't seem to engage at all, the numbers spin but you can remove and close the lid, changing the numbers doesn't;t do anything.

Is there a way I am missing to set the code and engage the lock?

Here's what it looks like - nothing seems to move despite there being a little slider on the back that I assume is meant to work like a little bolt perhaps to set the lock - but it's blocked by the tongue which grabs the male part on the lid and although that flexes forwards and backwards it's always blocking the little lever...

I don't really NEED it to work but thought it would be fun to work it out anyway!

Cheers

ped currently locked inside a case

IMG_6837.jpeg

IMG_6838.jpeg

Thanks folks. The slider (C) doesn't move at all, it's blocked by the flap (B) which sits over the numbers. Flap B does move up and down a little but it blocks C the whole time.

Part A is the axle that runs through the lock and is sprung at the far end, but C still doesn't;t move because B is always in the way....

IMG_6840.thumb.jpeg.99b9142132512c7aa368ee430212ae43.jpeg

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Just a thought, It doesn’t push in and slide does it ?

No, it's completely blocked in by part B!

I've given up - I don't think the lock will be used anyway; I'm sure someone could get into the case if there really wanted to.

Instead, in an effort to reline and foam as much as the inside of the case as possible, I've foamed over the lock mechanism.

The case is 100% snug and safe for my three basses now (I'll update with a pic when the glue is dry!)

IMG_6843.jpeg

• Like 1

All done! Basses now correctly spaced... I had to get a bit creative with what little foam I had, literally nothing could go to waste. I might get a big block of neoprene and do a neater job one day but for now this is solid.

IMG_6847.jpeg

IMG_6846.jpeg

IMG_6845.jpeg

• Like 3