Why become a member? ×

Hello from Andalucía!

neil___lien

Dear Fellaz & Fellazettes!

How is everyone doing ? 

Am good, here, procrastinating. Realised i have been a member of this forum for a while but had never taken the time to introduce myself to the community. Another excuse to procrastinate even further...

So here it goes: my name is neil, i am 37 years old, currently living in Dos Hermanas, right outside of Seville. I teach English here. Also i am currently homeless due to Covid affecting the number of students we have, & my wage, so i sleep in a classroom. Been there for the last six months.

Music CV: I started playing bass when i was 21 or 22, then had a 4 year depression during which i sold off my gear, & came back to music when i was 32 i believe. I am completely self-taught on guitar, bass, beatbox, singing & drawing. Guitar was my main instrument, but bass is my true love & i don't even own a guitar anymore (sold off my Ibanez AS83-STE to pay for car repairs).

I released an album in 2010 ("Introducing the Raggedy Zirkus"), right before i burned out, and another one in 2016 ("Cityzens Were Here", the typo is intentional), right after that hiatus. i composed, arranged & performed all the instruments on both, while the respective female singers of those projects brought their lyrics & voices.m to the table. 

Gear i own: after years of buying & selling, trying different things, being limited by tight budgets & low income jobs (cuz i wanted time for music), i have finally reached a decent point in terms of gear:

- RMI Quantum Dominic di Piazza Signature 6

- Ibanez BTB846SC-DTL 

- Fame Baphomet IV fretless.

All three active, neck-through basses. The first two are single-cuts. The RMI & Baphomet are strung with flats. I only own an Eden Ec10 combo in terms of amps.

G.A.S.: I am currently GASsing for a Rockbass Starbass 5... really bad. Can't afford it. I guess i am pretty frustrated with my life & that translates into browsing through second-hand pages & online retailers' catalogues.

Current projects: i play in a soul cover band of music veterans here in Seville. Haven't gigged yet as we started building a repertoir in July & have gone through a number of successive lockdowns.

Then there is this other covers project where we modify heavily spanish pop songs into something different. Not really my cup of tea, but it's the only project that landed me gigs last year.

& i write & compose for an actress here who has recently decided she wanted to put out an EP before the summer. So we'll see how that goes. 

Anyway this was me. Should U be interested, U can find me on social media as @neilelliottbeisson...

Hope U have a great day! It's time for me to stop procrastinating 😊

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Good morning, Neil, and ...

JziD0WZ.gif

Plenty to read and amuse you here, and lots to learn and share. rWNVV2D.gif

Yeah i have been a reader for a looong time but rarely do i write, most of the time because someone has already said the same thing in better words before, but yeah, been here a while! Just wanted to say hi!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jus Lukin said:

Hi Neil,

Sorry to hear of your current situation- I was technically homeless for a time a couple of years ago or so, always stayed at a house, although the last three months of that time sleeping at my Mum's was the most uncomfortable! 😄 Best of luck as things hopefully begin to settle down on the Covid front.

Quick question to an expert- is it Anda-loo-see-a or Anda-loo-sha? I've heard both in English, but not sure I've ever come across the Spanish pronunciation!

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

@Jus Lukin: it's Anda-loo-see-ya, with the strong sillable beeing the "see" 😊

And yeah i am homeless but i have a very nice boss that allows me to stay in class 5 of our school lol. It's weird but it's fine. I have 16m² for a bed, 3 basses & a combo. My clothes in a big suitcase. Don't need much more for now.

U guys should visit the region, when possible. There are so many beautiful things to be seen here...

Hi, and welcome here!

I've been in Andalucía a few times, and hope to be able to visit your region again when we're allowed to travel again. I've been in Sevilla a few years ago during the summer, when it was way too hot to do anything. I'd love to come back in spring sometime, it's such a beautiful city with all its tiny alleyways and patios. 

• Thanks 1

Yeah! Seville is beautiful (most of it). Then there is Córdoba & Granada & Cádiz & a bunch of other smaller villages that are really worth visiting! 

One thing i will complain about though is: the bass used market is crap here 🤣🤣🤣

Anyway, thank U all for the warm welcome! Good night!

7 hours ago, outtaseezun said:

Yeah! Seville is beautiful (most of it). Then there is Córdoba & Granada & Cádiz & a bunch of other smaller villages that are really worth visiting! 

Cádiz is still on my wishlist, and Ronda :)

Edited by LeftyJ
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, outtaseezun said:

Hope U have a great day! It's time for me to stop procrastinating 😊

Bienvenido Neil. Though I don't think I have known true depression, procrastination is something I'm very familiar with.  It's great to read your story and know that you have come through a dark time, ready to get out there and indulge your passion.  Seems to me there are as many reasons to make music as there are musicians.  I'm looking forward to keeping up with you and hearing about your gigs and projects.  Que tengas un buen día.

• Thanks 1

Ronda is quite nice too yeah, both the center & the little hikes that allow U to see the city from other angles!

Thanks @jazzburger! I guess i have learned a lot from those dark times yeah. The only two downsides are:

- it's no fun while U are in it,

- i've lost 4 years of practice on the instrument! 

But anyway, it's all part of the process ! Do U guys create Ur own music? Share it somewhere maybe?

5 minutes ago, outtaseezun said:

... Do U guys create Ur own music? Share it somewhere maybe?

Some participate in the monthly Basschat Composition Challenge, if that counts..? Easy to find in the 'Recording' section, and free for all to join in, as Voters (closes this evening for the March Collection...), or, even better, as Participants (with emphasis on the 'pants' notion for some of us... :$ ). It's only for fun, of course, but has the merit of, not only existing, but being visible:friends:

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, outtaseezun said:

Do U guys create Ur own music? Share it somewhere maybe?

15 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Some participate in the monthly Basschat Composition Challenge, if that counts..? Easy to find in the 'Recording' section, and free for all to join in, as Voters (closes this evening for the March Collection...), or, even better, as Participants

Also, Show us your playing videos! is where folk drop their clips of performances or practice recordings.

Edited by SpondonBassed
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

But the Composition Challenge is far, far better. 9_9

I keep saying I'll submit something one day but I never do... on either of those topics.  I think I have almost a whole minute of my playing on here and that's from two separate clips.

I can not argue.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

I keep saying I'll submit something one day but I never do... on either of those topics.  I think I have almost a whole minute of my playing on here and that's from two separate clips.

I can not argue.

Meanwhile there's a tie to be broken on the Challenge voting, so any new votes would be welcome. Here's the current crop; give 'em a listen and express your opinions..? (Question open to all...)

March 2021 BC Composition Challenge, Voting ...

• Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Meanwhile there's a tie to be broken on the Challenge voting, so any new votes would be welcome. Here's the current crop; give 'em a listen and express your opinions..? (Question open to all...)

March 2021 BC Composition Challenge, Voting ...

Realistically speaking, I may not have time to give all of the entries a decent listening to before the deadline.

I promise to do better on Thursday.  Just don't ask me which one.

• Thanks 2