Why become a member? ×

Unexpected bass player sightings

Nicko

With lockdown TV being so very dull I ended up watching Baby Driver on one of the film channels t'other day, and was surprised by none other than Flea playing a bone fide walking and talking part.  Where else have you seen a bass player pop up when you were least expecting it?

Baby Driver is in no way recommended.

17 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

I remember seeing quadrophenia when it came out , was sting was that well known then

The Police's debut hit single Roxanne was released in '78, so I'd say Sting would have been pretty well known when Quadrophenia (the movie) came out in '79. Remember he also had a fairly big role in Dune (1984).

• Thanks 1

Does the other way around count as well? I know of a number of unexpected actor sightings in bands xD

I know Johnny Depp plays bass (but is more famously known as a guitarist), and I've seen footage of Keanu Reeves and Ryan Gosling with a bass. And Gary Sinise has the "Lt Dan Band", named after his Vietnam veteran character in Forrest Gump. 

• Like 1

It was unexpected when we moved to our current house and found that Vernon Dudley Bohay-Nowell lived up the road at No 10. We occasionally get to chat a little about the weather and stuff. Nice guy, mad as a hatter, a ray of sunshine in a grey street.

13 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

I enjoyed Baby Driver. Flea has been in several films hasn't he? He was definitely in Point Break

Was he? Keidis was. 

Flea and Keidis were in some other film in a van I seem to remember. Probably something with River Phoenix. 

22 hours ago, Nicko said:

Where else have you seen a bass player pop up when you were least expecting it?

I had a friend who was Tech Director for the Allman Brothers Band in the late 70s and early 80s. I decided to drop in unannounced for a tour date in the next state (I had an open invitation), and walked into the venue mid-afternoon with my bass in hand, as I was on my way to visit with my brother another state away after the show. There were no security people or roadies in sight so I just walked right in and up onto the stage, which was already fully set up. Not a soul in sight anywhere in this whole arena, which seemed quite odd actually. I figured someone would come along soon enough, and after a while I was confronted by someone with a heavy Brit accent who asked: "Hey mate, what's in the case? Mind if I have a look?" I look up and it's Jack Bruce. Turned out that he and Billy Cobham were in the opening act, which wasn't even advertised ahead of the show anywhere I looked. We had a very nice chat and Jack tried my Travis Bean fretless and was very encouraging to this rookie bassist who had only played a handful of gigs to that point. Eventually my friend showed up and he arranged to have me sit at the monitor board onstage during Jack's set, which was pretty sweet. Not so unexpected to see a bass player pop up, but that bass player was certainly unexpected! 😎

• Like 8

I bumped into Jet Harris at the NEC 'Mad About Guitars' show maybe 20 years or so ago. We smoked a cigarette together and chatted for 5 or 10 minutes. He was very personable. I then watched his demonstration/performance and the same later that afternoon with Hank Marvin. 

All in all a good day out. 

• Like 1