Why become a member? ×

Earliest Ever Footage of Slap Bass

Bean9seventy

14 minutes ago, Bean9seventy said:

Janek Gwizdala will call larry graham as an inspiration ,, so what about any UK larry grahams ? who is the UKs larry graham or louis johnson or bootsy or james brown ??

surly we had some in the 1970s man ? ,, what about those very 1st gigs in the uk ""all about bass"" , before level42 ,, before people knew about jaco ,, jaco ?/ was into world music before disco Guys  ,, lol

our nick name for jaco lol ,, is LOL " the failed disco bass player " , ,:D  ok ? dig that

why >> because no one bother book jaco for a disco tune ,lol ,,

thread pt3 find me a jaco disco song played in studio 54 lol

,lol before people knew it was jaco on bass ,,

ps i nominate "" Paul Tubbs Williams "" even tho he may not be the 1st as The Uks answer to Larry Graham ,, 

BLADE RUNNER THE TRUTH

just to let bass chat guys know ,, i know mike edmonds ,, he knows i will never say a bad thing to jaco ,, it took a while before disco & got jaco ,, jaco got disco , great example right here

• Like 1

What the hell are you on about dude?

Calling Jaco a failed disco player, and bringing Janek in to it for no reason? Both these guys are killer players and irrelevant to your discussion. Just because their influences and styles are more from the Jazz world doesn't mean you should talk about them in a derogatory way in a thread about slap bass. 

As far as I'm concerned you've just invalidated your own discussion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Doddy said:

What the hell are you on about dude?

Calling Jaco a failed disco player, and bringing Janek in to it for no reason? Both these guys are killer players and irrelevant to your discussion. Just because their influences and styles are more from the Jazz world doesn't mean you should talk about them in a derogatory way in a thread about slap bass. 

As far as I'm concerned you've just invalidated your own discussion.

Yes, but what you fail to realise is that Janek mumble mumble something, whereas Jaco long sentence with lots of unexplained,,,,, commas. I hope that's clarified things. 

• Haha 2

I'm not really into slap bass. I think the only slap player I like to listen to is Les Claypool, and he does something pretty different with it.

No offence to all the slappers out there, but I sort of think it's the bass equivalent of hair metal shredders on guitar...

I literally just bought a Sire Marcus Miller bass though. Lol. I might have to put a sticker on the headstock or summat. 😅

On 02/04/2021 at 02:39, Bean9seventy said:

you know what mate >> ??  lol its a good point ,, when slap exploded round the world , 1978 - 1980 it was for some, like spam in monty python ,, others it turned into an ultimate critical speed battle on bass ,, 

Even Slade were recording slap in 1970, it was old hat by 78.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

It's not unusual behaviour for some people- they start a topic with a good idea of how they will respond to some predictable replies.

actually ,, i was getting a bit of stick on you tube over the same topic of larry graham finally getting credit post 1980 ,, not as well known as folks think in the 70s ,, & disco the moment bass went viral 

i have been in bass chat circles for a while ,, including meeting the hosts ,, i think they know i am not up to tricks ,,

i am a funky Street Bass player , since 1978 , before level 42 ,, thanks

4 hours ago, Rich said:

Yes, but what you fail to realise is that Janek mumble mumble something, whereas Jaco long sentence with lots of unexplained,,,,, commas. I hope that's clarified things. 

Paul Tubbs Williams ,, by the 1980s every wine bar wanted fusion

1 hour ago, Vin Venal said:

I'm not really into slap bass. I think the only slap player I like to listen to is Les Claypool, and he does something pretty different with it.

No offence to all the slappers out there, but I sort of think it's the bass equivalent of hair metal shredders on guitar...

I literally just bought a Sire Marcus Miller bass though. Lol. I might have to put a sticker on the headstock or summat. 😅

good for you

13 minutes ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

That solo!

A lot of Nobody's Fools was heading toward the funkier end as well.

the exception to the rule proves the point , wow ,, never made it to the dance floor ,,

my only reply is,,  i did sit in with a rock bass player ,, the set up of of strings was tremendous ,, never seen a set up like it before nor since ,, & he new his stuff ,, there are players like that ,, slades bass went all the way trough ,, thanks

peter barnes was no slouch

Now then, @Bean9seventy if you think I'm too hippy and non-street (though I will admit to having played slap bass in the street at least once or twice) you'll definitely think these two Brits were far too hippy (they certainly had long hair) but Neil Murray, in his pre Whitesnake days with one of the Canterbury sound bands with Dave Stewart, played a whole section of slap bass on a recorded piece, and I saw Alan Spenner play a sort of slap bass short solo with Kokomo..... Alan Gorrie also played some with the Average White Band (but he is Scottish.....) 😏 - more so in the 80s though (for instance Sweet and Sour; Into the Night).  

I agree with you regarding Larry Graham - his slap bass was not really that well known until Graham Central Station. 

Edited by drTStingray

10 minutes ago, drTStingray said:

Now then, @Bean9seventy if you think I'm too hippy and non-street (though I will admit to having played slap bass in the street at least once or twice) you'll definitely think these two Brits were far too hippy (they certainly had long hair) but Neil Murray, in his pre Whitesnake days with one of the Canterbury sound bands with Dave Stewart, played a whole section of slap bass on a recorded piece, and I saw Alan Spenner play a sort of slap bass short solo with Kokomo..... Alan Gorrie also played some with the Average White Band (but he is Scottish.....) 😏 - more so in the 80s though (for instance Sweet and Sour; Into the Night).  

I agree with you regarding Larry Graham - his slap bass was not really that well known until Graham Central Station. 

The late John McKenzie was another UK bass player who slapped and popped in the (late) 70s - with Steve Hillage and Annette Peacock.

He was a fabulous all-round player/musician...