Why become a member? ×

Earliest Ever Footage of Slap Bass

Bean9seventy

I'm giving up.

Your comments are a nightmare to read and a total mess.

Can't you write simple sentences with a subject, a verb and a complement alongside the correct punctuation ?

If you have a message to pass, you have to learn the communication skills needed to do so, otherwise you'll loose all credibility.

Synthesise your thoughts, read and understand other users comments, ... and think before writing : everyone will thank you.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bean9seventy said:

nice hippy gig ,, there is a band from japan i found on youtube getting some slap down on the old grey whistle test from 1976 ,,, will try to surf & find that , cheers

Hippy?

That's a generation out!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hellzero said:

I'm giving up.

Your comments are a nightmare to read and a total mess.

Can't you write simple sentences with a subject, a verb and a complement alongside the correct punctuation ?

If you have a message to pass, you have to learn the communication skills needed to do so, otherwise you'll loose all credibility.

Synthesise your thoughts, read and understand other users comments, ... and think before writing : everyone will thank you.

i am a street funk bass player ,, besides i think everything has been said on this topic ,,

many enjoined it ,, understood the angle ,,

will return with another

1 hour ago, prowla said:

However, as far as earliest goes, here's something from 1954.

insane as the movie when Charlie Parker ran on stage trying to storm the band ,,, ??

how a simple new york be bop turn around turned into "southern be bop" , aka rock n roll & eventually pop music ?? ,, that happened probably faster than  larry graham did to disco music ,, ;D

many reasons why double bass jazz was omitted ,, yet contribution accepted ,, thanks

image.png.6a5fad8a715e4c1cbf779089f75199c6.png

10 minutes ago, Bean9seventy said:

insane as the movie when Charlie Parker ran on stage trying to storm the band ,,, ??

how a simple new york be bop turn around turned into "southern be bop" , aka rock n roll & eventually pop music ?? ,, that happened probably faster than  larry graham did to disco music ,, ;D

many reasons why double bass jazz was omitted ,, yet contribution accepted ,, thanks

image.png.6a5fad8a715e4c1cbf779089f75199c6.png

Aye - maybe omitted in the OP, but actually is at least as relevant as the guitar link there; based on that, I'd say that the funkers merely reinterpreted what already existed.

Since the guitar angle is allowed, though, it could simply be inferred to be interpretations of Flamenco guitar playing.

6 minutes ago, Bean9seventy said:

1970s hippies ? probably over shadowed by glam rock & counting, obviously heavy rock , think 70s hippy's were into progressive rock plus ,

Nah - Proggers were post- hippies.

Certainly jazz-rock (Bruford, Stanley Clark, Weather Report, Colosseum II, Chic Corea, Alphonso Johnson) was pretty far from being hippy stuff and some of it spanned into funk & disco.

Edited by prowla

1 minute ago, prowla said:

Aye - maybe omitted in the OP, but actually is at least as relevant as the guitar link there; based on that, I'd say that the funkers merely reinterpreted what already existed.

Since the guitar angle is allowed, though, it could simply be inferred to be interpretations of Flamenco guitar playing.

slap bass on upright was bop n jazz as clearly explained in you recent post ,, thanks 

think funk bass as we know it, leans towards delta blues ,, mid west picking ,, hendrix , you know ?? john lee hooker ,, muddy walters that rabbit hole ,, the street ,, the farm house etc

3 minutes ago, prowla said:

Nah - Proggers were post- hippies.

Certainly jazz-rock (Bruford, Stanley Clark, Weather Report, Colosseum II, Chic Corea, Alphonso Johnson) was pretty far from being hippy stuff and some of it spanned into funk & disco.

call it the "" Janek Gwizdala Syndrome "" yes there was a circuit of hippys ,,, rough name not exact ,, who in many ways were for running "world music" 

then one day disco went mega viral ,, world wide ,, the disco explosion changed everything & its shining star was ??     BASS   ??

Janek Gwizdala & those guys never seem to get the "viral ness" of disco ,, Funk Jazz quickly became Jazz Funk & made Fusion, the stuff Gwizdala plays wine bar music by the 1980s 

1 minute ago, prowla said:

On the prog side, though known as a pick player, Chris Squire had a percussive technique where he'd hit the note a second time with the edge of his thumb.

Not exactly funkaholic, but a sideline to the development.

Chris Squire great bass player ,,, because i do not have much money,  i never go in shops & pull their best Rickenbacker off the shelf ,, he always springs to mind if i do ,

my own customized Bootsy Rickenbacker as always been on my fantasy wish list , thanks

11 minutes ago, prowla said:

It's difficult to tell if Fred Thomas played thumb/slap back in the day, but he certainly did later on.

find the movie footage is the topic ,, else we might get someone with notes from Plato saying he plucked the notes out of the air ,, 1632 the earliest yarn so far , thanks ,

26 minutes ago, Bean9seventy said:

call it the "" Janek Gwizdala Syndrome "" yes there was a circuit of hippys ,,, rough name not exact ,, who in many ways were for running "world music" 

then one day disco went mega viral ,, world wide ,, the disco explosion changed everything & its shining star was ??     BASS   ??

Janek Gwizdala & those guys never seem to get the "viral ness" of disco ,, Funk Jazz quickly became Jazz Funk & made Fusion, the stuff Gwizdala plays wine bar music by the 1980s 

Not quite sure how Janek Gwizdala fits into this, seeing as he wasn't even born until 1978...

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Bean9seventy said:

find the movie footage is the topic ,, else we might get someone with notes from Plato saying he plucked the notes out of the air ,, 1632 the earliest yarn so far , thanks ,

if Janek Gwizdala & co bassists reads this ,, yes i met the guy in Denmark St ,, tho at the time i never knew it was him ,,

if Disco went even more viral than it did ,, the royal family would have been "air slapping" level 42 bass on the balcony on weddings & party's etc ,,

bear minimum doing the travolta disco pose : D  

disco gave Bass to the world ,,& only then did they realize it was a band many mainly knew too ,, similar to stevie wonder ,, Sly & the family Stone , it was their bass player who 1st did it a guy called larry graham ,,

3 minutes ago, Rich said:

Not quite sure how fits into this, seeing as he wasn't even born until 1978...

the Janek Gwizdala crew of bass players & coffee drinkers see the history of bass in a different way , which is another reason why i am doing this thread ,,

larry graham invented it ,, bootsy tried to spread it ,, but , it wasn't until a euro type pop disco tune went mega viral ,,, that  everybody wanted to do it ,, BASS

we have been nodding our heads ever since ,,

yes the guys in demark st saw us both rambling,, Janek Gwizdala met someone who had played funk from beyond 1978

,, i stood my ground & said roughly "Paul Tubbs Williams" is who you should respect not a bag of big names who mean a hill of beans to no one

, i was certain in this encounter he never knew even who tubbsy was let alone the relevance ,, thanks

1 minute ago, Bean9seventy said:

the Janek Gwizdala crew of bass players & coffee drinkers see the history of bass in a different way , which is another reason why i am doing this thread ,,

larry graham invented it ,, bootsy tried to spread it ,, but , it wasn't until a euro type pop disco tune went mega viral ,,, that  everybody wanted to do it ,, BASS

we have been nodding our heads ever since ,,

yes the guys in demark st saw us both rambling,, Janek Gwizdala met someone who had played funk from beyond 1978

,, i stood my ground & said roughly "Paul Tubbs Williams" is who you should respect not a bag of big names who mean a hill of beans to no one

, i was certain in this encounter he never knew even who tubbsy was let alone the relevance ,, thanks

Janek Gwizdala will call larry graham as an inspiration ,, so what about any UK larry grahams ? who is the UKs larry graham or louis johnson or bootsy or james brown ??

surly we had some in the 1970s man ? ,, what about those very 1st gigs in the uk ""all about bass"" , before level42 ,, before people knew about jaco ,, jaco ?/ was into world music before disco Guys  ,, lol

our nick name for jaco lol ,, is LOL " the failed disco bass player " , ,:D  ok ? dig that

why >> because no one bother book jaco for a disco tune ,lol ,,

thread pt3 find me a jaco disco song played in studio 54 lol

,lol before people knew it was jaco on bass ,,

ps i nominate "" Paul Tubbs Williams "" even tho he may not be the 1st as The Uks answer to Larry Graham ,, 

BLADE RUNNER THE TRUTH