Why become a member? ×

Earliest Ever Footage of Slap Bass

Bean9seventy

Decided to share out this early 1960s footage of Slap , tho not on Bass its actually on guitar , this footage goes back to 1968 from the movie Performance ,, Question ? can anyone  find any earlier footage without going into rockabilly upright concert bass , cheers " B970

https://youtu.be/jJ6AjE3Gcw8

• Confused 1

I hope you're not being serious.

That's a song called 'The lady in my Life' from Michael Jackson's Thriller album, which was recorded in 1982. The bass player was Steve Lukather. 🙂

However, it would be interesting to find the earliest genuine footage of the genesis of slap playing. 👍

• Like 1

4 hours ago, musicbassman said:

That's a song called 'The lady in my Life' from Michael Jackson's Thriller album, which was recorded in 1982. The bass player was Steve Lukather. 🙂

However, it would be interesting to find the earliest genuine footage of the genesis of slap playing. 👍

after watching the movie i couldn't get the sound & vision out of my mind ,,

when learning & uploading the above said MJ joint ,, with your extra detailed info of who recorded the bass line ( i am jamming over the top of the steve lukather bassling btw ) i had to do a meme ,,

the point is Jagger is clearly slap & popping the guitar  in the movie, its some kind of dark blues thing ,, yet we see the slap pop in sight the right way ,, the mission is to find any earlier footage ,, if not ,, then 1968 is the earliest slap recorded visually so far ,, cheers

2 hours ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

What's with the music? 😂

its a meme ,,,

5 hours ago, musicbassman said:

if you find the raw video of Performance ,, the movie, & listen to Jagger ,, who plays some blues tune from the abyss ,, you will note & hear Jagger clearly slaps & pops the guitar ,,

its 1968 12 years before Level42 & Shakatak ,, its right,,

the mission is to find anything earlier,? if not 1968 is the earliest possible year where slap was recorded visually so far ,

i put MJ music as a mod con over the top because that's how "the meme" materialized  cheers

Ok, now for the slap thing, Larry Graham who is considered to have invented the slap technique as we know it has developed it in ... 1960 and used it on the first record of Sly and the Family Stone in 1967, so before this pseudo 1968 footage. The band started touring in 1966 with Larry Graham already slapping on electric bass.

Here's Larry Graham himself explaining the genesis of the modern slap technique and especially why:

He used the slap intensively on the next album called Dance to the Music and released in 1968.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, ped said:

I have no idea what's going on

Did Lukather really play bass on that track? Thought it was Louis Johnson

not sure ,, the above guy called musicbassman called out the name ,, i just took it for granted , forgetting louis johnson got most of the MJ gigs ,,

thanks for putting the train back on the track

11 hours ago, Ricky 4000 said:

I know, but can it be ignored?

I love LG's playing, but there's no way he hadn't heard the slap (double) bass sound before he 'invented' doing it on the electrical bass... 🦄 :ph34r:

yes ,, think most know about double bass slap ,, tho admit i do wear my jealous hat ,, when i see some of those rocker billys slap ,, still 1968 ,, yet a great video from 1955 ,,, amazing guitarist ,,, he did everything but pop & slap

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Hellzero said:

Ok, now for the slap thing, Larry Graham who is considered to have invented the slap technique as we know it has developed it in ... 1960 and used it on the first record of Sly and the Family Stone in 1967, so before this pseudo 1968 footage. The band started touring in 1966 with Larry Graham already slapping on electric bass.

Here's Larry Graham himself explaining the genesis of the modern slap technique and especially why:

He used the slap intensively on the next album called Dance to the Music and released in 1968.

yet the above video of larry "explaining" how to slap is from 1980 ,,, in fact there are no videos of any funk "bass lessons" before that date of 1980 ,, some 20 years after larry 1st did it

its one of the reasons why i am doing this binary blog ,, eg there isn't even really any significant footage of larry slapping at woodstock in 1969

its not who played it ,, we all know larry invented it ,,, its when was it 1st recorded visually so far its 1968 ,, checkmate ,, thanks

Edited by Bean9seventy

@Bean9seventy Are you a revisionist ? Or maybe a conspiracy revisionist ? It's so hype today, I know...

You have all the proofs before your eyes that, at least, one person was playing slap before 1968 on a bass.

Do you understand what is written in all the comments here, because it seems that you don't ? I clearly wrote : "What about this more modern technique dating back to 1965..." Here, the more modern technique is referring to tapping not slapping.

That said who gives a f*ck about knowing who was the first to use slap... You know some unknown manouche guitarist certainly did some slap on his guitar way back in the 1940's without knowing that he invented a new technique.

Even if you have footage and evidences of the fact that Larry Graham already played slap in 1960, you'll keep denying the facts, because you've found that 1968 footage of a guitarist slapping a note (that nobody here can see) on a 1982 tune !?! Did he also invent that DeLorean time machine ?

And about the fact that there's no slap bass lesson video before 1980, urm, urm, do you know that these lessons were written lessons in magazines, in the early days...

Check this, but I guess you'll say it was recorded this year, no ?

Edited by Hellzero
YouTube common issue
  • Like 1

Can we all just agree that I invented slap in 1362? I went back in time in my hot dog powered time machine and funked so hard that all the hobbits grew into normal sized people, this is actually why there are no hobbits left today. There, problem solved.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2