Why become a member? ×

NBD Ibanez EDA900 (to go with the EDB & EDC)

Lfalex v1.1

Thanks to @PaulThePlug, my latest addition; An Ibanez EDA900. Weird and wonderful, but lightweight and well-balanced. The ergonomics really are very good.

Controls are bonkers; Magnetic Vol, Piezo Volume, Magnetic Bass& Treble (twinned, not stacked!) Piezo treble.

'Round the back... 4 Piezo saddle level matching pots, 1 Piezo level trim pot and set & forget piezo bass level control.

The magnetic pickup seems to be the same as the ones used in the EDB and EDC700/705, but the piezo is the real power house in this instrument. If it's not kept under control,  it can dominate the tone.

Mixed in conservatively,  it works well with modulation effects,  and solo'ed it does a passable impersonation of a plugged-in electro acoustic. It got very close to the bass tone on "Alice in Chains Unplugged" and Sevendust's "Southside Double-wide Acoustic Live" 

In summary, an idiosyncratic oddity, but quite versatile. 

The EDB605 is more jazz-like and the 3band eq can deliver a decent selection of tones.

The EDC915 is a bit of a one-trick-pony, but like a 2EQ Ray, it's quite a trick.  

20210329_141918.jpg

20210329_141203.jpg

Edited by Lfalex v1.1
  • Like 8

Had one of these for ages - sounds as odd as it looks! Very lovely, lightweight, playable thing, SR-ish skinny neck, which I love.

Can't remember the last time I played it, but I'm still quite unreasonably attached to mine!

EDA900upscale.thumb.jpg.4f82a10dcd4d14a8c37adf7ba203ee7b.jpg

• Like 1

On reflection, I can't help but to think that these would make excellent instruments for beginners, but for 3 things;

The aesthetic really isn't for everyone

The EQ would surely bamboozle those new to bass

Having played one, it might be difficult to transition to heavier instruments with (much) chunkier necks

Otherwise, they seem to tick all the boxes, particularly the lightweight, comfortable ergonomic aspects.

13 hours ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

Controls are bonkers; Magnetic Vol, Piezo Volume, Magnetic Bass& Treble (twinned, not stacked!) Piezo treble.

Can you elaborate further? I'm quite intrigued, since you mention five parameters but there's only 4 knobs. I'm curious about that EQ, and especially the twinned-bit. Do you mean the magnetic EQ is like a balance pot, but between the bass and treble frequencies? 

It's the Magnetic Bass & Treble that's causing the misunderstanding.

Both are on the same (single-knob, not stacked) pot.

(Viewed as though playing)Turn it clockwise, bass and treble decrease. Turn it anticlockwise, bass and treble increase. 

It works, but it's weird. Stacked B&T Eq for both Mag and Piezo might've made more sense. 

I'm convinced that one of the reasons they weren't more popular is that no one could make any sense of the controls in a shop environment, even if the explanatory sheet of plastic was still present. Furthermore,  if some of the rear pots weren't properly set, the whole thing would sound broken!

No one would buy a bass they couldn't coax a decent noise out of!

Edited by Lfalex v1.1

4 hours ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

(Viewed as though playing)Turn it clockwise, bass and treble decrease. Turn it anticlockwise, bass and treble increase. 

Wow, that sounds very weird and unusual! Still kind of cool though, and I can definitely see that working well as long as the EQ frequencies make sense :)

I was into Ergodyne basses a while back, I had the EDA900, EDA905, EDB400, EDB600 and an EDC700.  I wanted to get an EDC715 but couldn't find one (it's the EDC variant with the single triple rail pickup). 

Greatly underrated basses that got a bad rap for the Luthite being used as a material in my opinion.  

One thing to be wary of for anyone looking for the EDA900, test the Piezo pickup.  I've run into a few where the Piezo doesn't work or work fully (even if you try to adjust the pots in the back).  Some owners somehow snag the piezo wire when changing strings, I think Ibanez even warns about changing the strings carefully.  Test it by playing each string with the piezo pickup on exclusively.  

Congratulations on that weird wonderful bass. 

Edited by Maxdusty
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Maxdusty said:

I was into Ergodyne basses a while back, I had the EDA900, EDA905, EDB400, EDB600 and an EDC700.  I wanted to get an EDC715 but couldn't find one (it's the EDC variant with the single triple rail pickup). 

One thing to be wary of if you're looking for anyone looking for the EDA900, test the Piezo pickup.  I've run into a few where the Piezo doesn't work or work fully (even if you try to adjust the pots in the back).  Some owners somehow snag the piezo wire when changing strings, I think Ibanez even warns about changing the strings carefully.  Test it by playing each string with the piezo pickup on exclusively.  

Congratulations on that weird wonderful bass. 

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll be super-careful when I change the strings. 

Shame you missed  out on the Triple-coiled EDC, it can be a bit of a monster! That pickup was good in its ATK application, too.

It's the EDC 700/705 that's escaping me at the moment. I'm watching one (an EDC700) on Ebay, but I'm not sure on the condition. 

If I can find another EDA, there's a danger that I might de-fret it or have it made into a fretless with a 'board change.  I get the feeling they'd make a good fretless. I believe that EDA900/905 "F"s exist,  but I don't think I've seen one in the flesh. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll be super-careful when I change the strings. 

Shame you missed  out on the Triple-coiled EDC, it can be a bit of a monster! That pickup was good in its ATK application, too.

It's the EDC 700/705 that's escaping me at the moment. I'm watching one (an EDC700) on Ebay, but I'm not sure on the condition. 

If I can find another EDA, there's a danger that I might de-fret it or have it made into a fretless with a 'board change.  I get the feeling they'd make a good fretless. I believe that EDA900/905 "F"s exist,  but I don't think I've seen one in the flesh. 

I think a fretless EDA would be terrific actually - that's a good plan imo. :) 

These Ergodyne basses are getting harder to find and the values have been trending upwards, I highly regret selling or trading mine (in a fit of momentary insanity, I went on an all-passive basses period). I even had a lighter shaped like the EDA for goodness sake, I liked it that much ha ha....Hang on to that beauty.  

21766549_10215199397966873_1512130820279426702_n.jpg