Why become a member? ×

Tobias Toby Pro 5

vinnyd

Difficult to say, particularly for a left handed bass.  As a starting point there is a left handed MTD Kingston for sale, new at Bass Direct for £999.....(and it's been there a while) so that's the very top end!  It's one of those 'beauty (and price) is in the eye of the beholder' things.

GLWTS

On 30/03/2021 at 08:37, Piers_Williamson said:

Difficult to say, particularly for a left handed bass.  As a starting point there is a left handed MTD Kingston for sale, new at Bass Direct for £999.....(and it's been there a while) so that's the very top end!  It's one of those 'beauty (and price) is in the eye of the beholder' things.

GLWTS

I see where you're going but I think MTD Kingston is a bit of a red herring in this case. 

The Tobias "Toby Pro" basses were sold on musicyo in the early 2000s. It was a site Gibson used for Kramer, Tobias and Steinberger Spirit lines, plus some random drum stuff. All of it was dirt cheap but reasonable value, though nothing like the brand heritage would suggest. In 2001/2 I got myself a Kramer 5 string lefty fretless brand new, imported from the US for £250. I still use it now, and its more than a £250 bass in those days and now, but not a patch on something like a Sire that you can get for around £400, and definitely nothing at all like a pre Gibson Kramer. The Tobias basses were a similar price point, as were the Steinbergers. I know a bit about it because at 17 years old and getting in to gigging I drooled over that site, via dial up Internet, and agonised over what to buy with my 18th birthday present cash. Musicyo offered a good choice of lefties when my local music shops did not. 

• 1 month later...

I bought the exact same lefty brand new, just four-string rather than 5, in about 2004. Hard to remember exactly how much I paid, but I’d guess £300. 

Although it was a nice instrument to own, and my main bass for years, I was never happy with the sound. I bypassed the active circuit, but in hindsight the pickups were probably to blame. 

I wish I still had that bass. Congrats to you.