Why become a member? ×

Garden Studio Build Diary

WHUFC BASS

4 hours ago, owen said:

I have a friend who needs to convert a garage to give music lessons. There will be no drums so there is no need for super soundproofing. Can I share a plan and ask for advice?

Of course mate. There are plenty of things that I'd do differently and would hate to see someone make the same mistake!

2 hours ago, owen said:

Excellent! Tell us how to do it!

Garej.jpg

If sound is an issue then the roof and neighbour's wall will need attention. What kind of roof is on this room? The wall next to the neighbours will need some kind of soundproofing if noise is an issue. If the walls are bare brick wall then sound reflection will be an issue. Can you elaborate a bit more on the concerns and requirements ?

Edited by WHUFC BASS

OK, they're quite high frequency / pitch instruments so I'd recommend firstly sitting / standing facing the back garden with some sort of sound absorption or diffuser on the back wall. If he's in anyway handy then some kind of isolation booth with heavy blankets or duvets draped over the top. You'd be surprised how effective they are. We've recorded loud guitars (and I mean loud - think a 120 watt 5150 amp cranked reasonably high).  The bottom line is bare brick wall is not going to be good at absorbing sound, especially the frequencies that recorders and violins pump out.

15 hours ago, owen said:

Thanks WHUFC. There will be very little DIY happening, but what builders recommend is often what they have in stock or already know so we are looking for the correct ideas rather than what is right for the builder.

You'd be surprised what some strategically placed duvets can do for sound absorbtion. Obviously won't kill the sound dead, but it'll be a lot quieter to the point where the neighbours won't be banging on the walls.

16 hours ago, owen said:

The instruments being taught will be piano and violin. There will be no rock and roll volume happening. It is in a residential area and the sound treatment is to minimise sound leakage which would disturb neighbours. 

Piano, can be loud (the clue is in the instrument's full name) and have a considerable bass content which will need proper sound proofing to keep it in check, particularly if the properties share any walls etc.

• 3 weeks later...

Managed to find a decent desk on eBay and picked it up quite cheaply. Also started on the acoustic treatment today too. I still need to install the computer and hook it up to everything. I also ordered a 16 rack unit which turned up damaged (thanks UPS) so I have an abundance of rack gear waiting for a home.

I also got one of them portable vocal booths and managed to get some Producer's Choice sound blankets to cover it. The results are quite good actually and as it can be taken down it also saves on space.

20211004_181950.jpg

Edited by WHUFC BASS
  • Like 7