Why become a member? ×

Garden Studio Build Diary

WHUFC BASS

15 minutes ago, Paul S said:

That really is 'future-proofing' the roof.  How did this work re fibre glass?  Just pick a fine day and do it over the top of normal roofing felt or something more complicated? 

Quite easy all things considered. Particle board over the roof joists, felt on top, fibre glass solution over the top of that then a resin hardener. Finally a top coat finish which also waterproofs it.. You do need a couple of days of clear weather though, any rain and it'll be ruined. 

Edited by WHUFC BASS
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WHUFC BASS said:

I'll have to brush up on my engineering skills first before I start charging anything.

I'm sure you will have a selection of willing volunteers to practice your engineering skills on for free to get you there.

Great topic.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This is amazing, I am sort of on the same path.

At the moment I record and mix everything inside my house.

I realised the other day that I could possibly do up and use the concrete garage we have here with a bit of TLC or even knock it down completely and start again with a completely new build.

Can I ask what the dimensions of the building are going to be roughly please?

My garage is currently 6m long x 3m wide internally, if I knock it down and start again I could rebuild to 10m x 3.5m. Ive spoke to a few studio design companies and they all said it's too small for purpose in terms of mixing and tracking.

Wondering whether to stiff upper lip it and press on anyway, given the room I mix in indoors isn't an ideal size either and I'm getting good results. 

Definitely interested in the budget aspect of this  and the sizes you've got.

PS I've got a pug as well haha, she's 6 now and completely bonkers

Cheers man

Tim

Edited by Basszilla
  • Like 1

Too late now, but if I was to build from scratch, I don't think I'd have gone for parallel walls and floor/ceiling. It complicates things a little, of course, but helps a little acoustically, I think. Just sayin'; well done. :friends:

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Basszilla said:

This is amazing, I am sort of on the same path.

At the moment I record and mix everything inside my house.

I realised the other day that I could possibly do up and use the concrete garage we have here with a bit of TLC or even knock it down completely and start again with a completely new build.

Can I ask what the dimensions of the building are going to be roughly please?

My garage is currently 6m long x 3m wide internally, if I knock it down and start again I could rebuild to 10m x 3.5m. Ive spoke to a few studio design companies and they all said it's too small for purpose in terms of mixing and tracking.

Wondering whether to stiff upper lip it and press on anyway, given the room I mix in indoors isn't an ideal size either and I'm getting good results. 

Definitely interested in the budget aspect of this  and the sizes you've got.

PS I've got a pug as well haha, she's 6 now and completely bonkers

Cheers man

Tim

Well, the dimensions on mine is 3m x 5.4m so I'm really surprised that a few studio design companies have said that your dimensions aren't adequate. You'd be surprised what results you can get, certainly for mixing in a proper acoustically treated room. I've actually been in studios where the mixing has been done in similar sized rooms. Admittedly they had top quality monitors and the place was acoustically treated (not to mention that the engineer was really good at what he did). The main thing to get right is to eliminate the bass traps on the corners and any reflective surfaces need to be deadened with panels so as the sound doesn't bounce off. There's free software you can acquire that'll give you recommendations and you just work to that. I'd say go for it.

1 minute ago, Dad3353 said:

Too late now, but if I was to build from scratch, I don't think I'd have gone for parallel walls and floor/ceiling. It complicates things a little, of course, but helps a little acoustically, I think. Just sayin'; well done. :friends:

I get what you mean regarding sound deflection and bass traps but it would have put the price up, not to mention the man-hours required to build non-standard shaped buildings. I'm hoping proper acoustic treatment will negate the usual issues of sound reflection and bass traps.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, WHUFC BASS said:

Well, the dimensions on mine is 3m x 5.4m so I'm really surprised that a few studio design companies have said that your dimensions aren't adequate. You'd be surprised what results you can get, certainly for mixing in a proper acoustically treated room. I've actually been in studios where the mixing has been done in similar sized rooms. Admittedly they had top quality monitors and the place was acoustically treated (not to mention that the engineer was really good at what he did). The main thing to get right is to eliminate the bass traps on the corners and any reflective surfaces need to be deadened with panels so as the sound doesn't bounce off. There's free software you can acquire that'll give you recommendations and you just work to that. I'd say go for it.

Thanks man, yes I've got some nice monitors and panels and traps installed inside the house now, so it will be nice to free up space inside and take my studio outside to a different space. 

You've given me the get up and go to get things done now 👍🙂

Would love to gain some info regarding total cost (once you've finished) to get an idea of the dent in the wallet. I'll drop you a PM as your thread nears completion if you're ok with that.

Tim

30 minutes ago, lurksalot said:

Great idea , I may have missed it but have you got damp proof membranes in there somewhere, I can’t see that you’ve included any under the base and brickwork ? 

There's a damp proof membrane under the concrete base. There'll be another damproof membrane going down under the flooring. I'll also be putting in a vapour barrier on the walls and ceiling too.

1 hour ago, musicbassman said:

Not wishing to rain on your parade,  best wishes to you - but I can't imagine this has gone down too well with the neighbours. Did you get planning permission for this ?

Permission from the neighbours? Umm ... nope. Don't think I need permission from the neighbours. 🤔

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, nilebodgers said:

Might be granny+eggs, but worth checking with this: https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/43/outbuildings

Probably permitted development if none of the criteria apply and there are no local overrides (conservation areas etc.).

Yes, it's the required height and width. Our garden slopes quite steeply at the end where this is built and the datum is taken from the level of the ground the house is situated on so effectively this is being built in a dip.

10 minutes ago, WHUFC BASS said:

Yes, it's the required height and width. Our garden slopes quite steeply at the end where this is built and the datum is taken from the level of the ground the house is situated on so effectively this is being built in a dip.

It doesn’t look very high , you’ll have to be careful with your headstocks 😁

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, sammybee said:

Did you need/get planning for this? Looks like it will be awesome when finished

Don't need planning permission for this. It's a building that's more than 2m away from the main dwelling and the height is less than 2.5m from the point of the base of the main dwelling. The actual questions asked for planning permission are:

The shed can’t cover more than 50% of the total garden space - It doesn't. There's almost 50% just by the house and I'd say there's another 25 % to the sides and rear of the new building.

It can’t be forward of the front wall of the house (so you can’t put it in the front garden) - Yep, obviously haven't done this.

It must be no higher than 2.5 metres at the eaves or an overall height of 3 metres - It fully complies with these stipulations.

If it is within 2 metres of the edge of the property, it can’t be more than 2.5 metres high - This isn't the case, it's not more than 2.5m high and it's about 5m away from the back fence anyway.

Edited by WHUFC BASS
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, WHUFC BASS said:

Don't need planning permission for this. It's a building that's more than 2m away from the main dwelling and the height is less than 2.5m from the point of the base of the main dwelling. The actual questions asked for planning permission are:

The shed can’t cover more than 50% of the total garden space - It doesn't. There's almost 50% just by the house and I'd say there's another 25 % to the sides and rear of the new building.

It can’t be forward of the front wall of the house (so you can’t put it in the front garden) - Yep, obviously haven't done this.

It must be no higher than 2.5 metres at the eaves or an overall height of 3 metres - It fully complies with these stipulations.

If it is within 2 metres of the edge of the property, it can’t be more than 2.5 metres high - This isn't the case, it's not more than 2.5m high and it's about 5m away from the back fence anyway.

Looks much bigger in your photos :) I will be watching your progress with anticipation as I'd really like to do this too - albeit with one wall of glass so I can have a bit of a view when I work.

Are you doing the actual building work yourself? 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, sammybee said:

Looks much bigger in your photos :) I will be watching your progress with anticipation as I'd really like to do this too - albeit with one wall of glass so I can have a bit of a view when I work.

Are you doing the actual building work yourself? 

The foundations, brickwork and roof were all done by a local building company as will the electrics (I'm not going anywhere near them!). The door and window I'm in two minds whether to tackle it or get a proffessional in. I've never fitted double-glazing or hung a door and I don't want to radge that up. The internal insulation, stud work, plasterboarding, flooring etc. will be done by me. 

• Like 1