Why become a member? ×

Universal Audio LUNA, anyone using it?

Beedster

As it says above really, I've had it with Avid and the concurrent increasingly poor delivery and increasingly high cost of Pro Tools, and having just invested in an AUD interface LUNA looks like it might solve some problems and save some money. Keen to hear people's thoughts, although either way I'm going to do some experimentation this week. 

It's good, there are a few things it doesn't do well, elastic audio for instance, but more importantly, it sounds good.

I think I'll be moving over to Luna once Protools becomes un-wieldy, if it ever does.

It's quite a learning curve, as it looks similar but is quite different to Protools.

Edit: One thing, I use an Avid S3 control surface, and Luna doesn't;t support any external surfaces at all, HUI, Eucon etc. So I'll have t wait for that support before I switch permanently. 

Edited by WinterMute

18 hours ago, WinterMute said:

It's good, there are a few things it doesn't do well, elastic audio for instance, but more importantly, it sounds good.

I think I'll be moving over to Luna once Protools becomes un-wieldy, if it ever does.

It's quite a learning curve, as it looks similar but is quite different to Protools.

Edit: One thing, I use an Avid S3 control surface, and Luna doesn't;t support any external surfaces at all, HUI, Eucon etc. So I'll have t wait for that support before I switch permanently. 

Thanks WM, I like the 'looks similar' as I've found a few apps that don't and that in itself is a big part of the learning curve. Is it generally stable, loads OK, no crashes etc on your machine. Also, do you have to use iLok to run it - I was require to link the download to my iLok account - or is that simply for paid-for plug-ins?

It's stable as far as I ran it, which was not very far, I have UA interfaces and DSP expanders in the studio and I downloaded it out of curiosity, but was pleasantly surprised.

All the plug-ins and the app instantiate from the UA hardware, so not iLok is needed, it will run AU plug-ins though, so I imagine iLok support isn't too far away.

I'm keeping an eye on the updates for controller support, once that lands I'll take a very serious look at it.

• 1 month later...