Why become a member? ×

Bass purchase advice - budget up to £1,200 or so

mm85

33 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

The OP hasn’t been back since the topic was opened, so we’re all talking amongst ourselves for the time being 😂.

I've been watching from afar! ;) Thanks for all the advice. It's a little difficult at the moment with Covid restrictions and not getting the chance to try ones out...but all advice taken onboard.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mm85 said:

I've been watching from afar! ;) Thanks for all the advice. It's a little difficult at the moment with Covid restrictions and not getting the chance to try ones out...but all advice taken onboard.

Ah, welcome back. You said 'what to buy next'. What bass(es) do you have already and what do you like/dislike about them?

7 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

this kinda thing @mm85? (on Facebook) 215928492_Screenshot2021-03-31at15_14_51.thumb.png.d02118f92f666954edbb3cb1185013be.png

Lovely - although never the colour I'd have initially thought about. Unfortunately they don't deliver, which rules it out. But a second hand Euro does fit the bill...

Spector's are great, but the ergonomics don't suit everyone. I am besotted with my rebop visually, but I can NOT get it to sit comfortably on a strap due to the smaller top horn and off centre bottom strap peg.

Sandberg's are built phenomenally, but I ended up ripping all the pick ups and electronics out of mine as they just didn't cut it, their PJ pick up placement in particular creates a huge inherent mid scoop.

Personally for your budget, I'd suggest a Yamaha 734A. It'll leave you with a good chunk of change, and the build quality and tonal coverage is tremendous! I pick mine up over my Sandberg and Spector every time. The build quality is comfortably up there with basses twice its cost, and it has great features like a battery indicator. 

Side note, I've just gotten an ibanez EHB1005ms... While the aesthetics may not be for everyone, quality, tonally and playability wise I'm blown away, and it's within your budget with change. It'd cover all the ground you need as well.

Edited by thisisswanbon
Spelling correction
  • Like 1

On 30/03/2021 at 16:24, Philip said:

If you can find an Fbass they are absolutely magical.

I agree, but there's no way you're going to get one for anywhere near the OP's budget.

If you're drawn to Spector, then you're probably best holding out for one. I know someone who picked up a Euro LX 5 for £1000, so they are about. Alternatively, you can find some killer deals on Warwick Streamers. I found my Streamer LX 5 ('98 German model) for well under half your budget.