Why become a member? ×

Behringer SF300

0175westwood29

Nice review, it's a great value pedal.

I was getting a bit obsessed with getting 'the' fuzz pedal last year....my conclusion was the SF300 isn't that different to pedals that cost nearly 10x as much and I probably shouldn't have bothered obsessing over it so much because an audience can't hear much difference in a band setting. Also, even in Stoner and Doom type band settings where it seems like the Bass needs a load of fuzz, in-fact more of a solid low Bass tone blended in and complimenting fuzzy guitar riffs often works better for a heavy wall of sound without treading on each other's fuzzy frequencies. 

In-case anyone is interested, these were my observations of the ones I got through. Lots comes down to personal taste about how 'good' fuzz sounds though so take it with a pinch of salt.

Behringer SF300 (£22)
Great value, a bit too harsh sounding for my taste though. Loses Bass and definition (can crank up the Bass though - it has Bass and Treble controls which is more than some fuzz pedals nearly 10x the cost). Also works as a boost.

EHX Bass Big Muff (£70)
Liked it but changed for deluxe to get clean blend and filters.

EHX Big Muff deluxe (£105)
Good, but lost note definition when got to the tone I wanted, or sounded a bit like 2 instruments when blending in clean.

EHX Green Russian (£75)
More of a solid, dark, in your face and synthy tone than the MXR Brown acid, doesn’t cut through mix of full band as well as the Brown Acid though. Seemed to work best when allowing it more space (e.g. just alongside drums- not up against drums and guitars and vocals). Using this with an LS2 for some clean blend I think could work really well.

Fuzzrocious Grey Stache (£140)
Quite versatile: 'Tone' changes the fuzz tone (as opposed to the Brown Acid where it seems to just add/remove the Bass) and it has mid control. Seems to lose some Bass though. I prefer the Brown Acid tone, but the Grey Stache is very close sound and is more versatile.

MXR Brown Acid (£140)
Winner! More guitar sounding than Green Russian, more complex tone- almost like there’s some chorus and mild filter going on, cuts through mix better. Bass and definition gets through at lower settings. It’s not very versatile- tone shaping is quite limited as fuzz tone basically stays the same and ‘tone’ is amount of Bass so needs to stay low. A bit one trick pony- but a great trick.

Source Audio Aftershock (£150)

Very versatile and good sounds but testing A/B with the EHX Big muff deluxe I had at the time I couldn't get it to sound quite as 'full' and couldn't get the crossover filter sounds or have all the on-hand controls and visual reference for things like the noise gate. Spent far too long tweaking it on phone/laptop which is a good and bad thing but kind of left me feeling a bit cold to it. Also wasn't keen on the small toggle to go between sounds so at the time thought I'd be best off with separate pedals - the EHX and a Mojo Mojo for similar cost.

Catalinbread Giygas (£180)
Tone similar to the Grey Stache but more angry sounding and more Bass. It’s the most versatile- Has the mid control of the Grey Stache but also an additional good EQ tone control (internal switchable so it suits Bass better), also has clean blend and low fuzz settings do a good milder distortion. I had problems with 100% wet signal going way louder than unity even with the ‘loud’ (volume) control set at zero and the fuzz tone didn’t quite do it for me- that’s a personal thing though, the MXR just sounded better to me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SumOne said:

Nice review, it's a great value pedal.

I was getting a bit obsessed with getting 'the' fuzz pedal last year....my conclusion was the SF300 isn't that different to pedals that cost nearly 10x as much and I probably shouldn't have bothered obsessing over it so much because an audience can't hear much difference in a band setting. Also, even in Stoner and Doom type band settings where it seems like the Bass needs a load of fuzz, in-fact more of a solid low Bass tone blended in and complimenting fuzzy guitar riffs often works better for a heavy wall of sound without treading on each other's fuzzy frequencies. 

In-case anyone is interested, these were my observations of the ones I got through. Lots comes down to personal taste about how 'good' fuzz sounds though so take it with a pinch of salt.

Behringer SF300 (£22)
Great value, a bit too harsh sounding for my taste though. Loses Bass and definition (can crank up the Bass though - it has Bass and Treble controls which is more than some fuzz pedals nearly 10x the cost). Also works as a boost.

EHX Bass Big Muff (£70)
Liked it but changed for deluxe to get clean blend and filters.

EHX Big Muff deluxe (£105)
Good, but lost note definition when got to the tone I wanted, or sounded a bit like 2 instruments when blending in clean.

EHX Green Russian (£75)
More of a solid, dark, in your face and synthy tone than the MXR Brown acid, doesn’t cut through mix of full band as well as the Brown Acid though. Seemed to work best when allowing it more space (e.g. just alongside drums- not up against drums and guitars and vocals). Using this with an LS2 for some clean blend I think could work really well.

Fuzzrocious Grey Stache (£140)
Quite versatile: 'Tone' changes the fuzz tone (as opposed to the Brown Acid where it seems to just add/remove the Bass) and it has mid control. Seems to lose some Bass though. I prefer the Brown Acid tone, but the Grey Stache is very close sound and is more versatile.

MXR Brown Acid (£140)
Winner! More guitar sounding than Green Russian, more complex tone- almost like there’s some chorus and mild filter going on, cuts through mix better. Bass and definition gets through at lower settings. It’s not very versatile- tone shaping is quite limited as fuzz tone basically stays the same and ‘tone’ is amount of Bass so needs to stay low. A bit one trick pony- but a great trick.

Source Audio Aftershock (£150)

Very versatile and good sounds but testing A/B with the EHX Big muff deluxe I had at the time I couldn't get it to sound quite as 'full' and couldn't get the crossover filter sounds or have all the on-hand controls and visual reference for things like the noise gate. Spent far too long tweaking it on phone/laptop which is a good and bad thing but kind of left me feeling a bit cold to it. Also wasn't keen on the small toggle to go between sounds so at the time thought I'd be best off with separate pedals - the EHX and a Mojo Mojo for similar cost.

Catalinbread Giygas (£180)
Tone similar to the Grey Stache but more angry sounding and more Bass. It’s the most versatile- Has the mid control of the Grey Stache but also an additional good EQ tone control (internal switchable so it suits Bass better), also has clean blend and low fuzz settings do a good milder distortion. I had problems with 100% wet signal going way louder than unity even with the ‘loud’ (volume) control set at zero and the fuzz tone didn’t quite do it for me- that’s a personal thing though, the MXR just sounded better to me.

some good options there, for me i dont mind paying a bit more ive got about 20 fuzz pedals tho, including for me the kings which are the Fuzzrocious 420 V2 and y Colorsound Bass Fuzz

the SF300 is a great clone of the Boss fz2 so no wonder it sounds pretty good, i do now just wanna get a FZ2 and 5 to compare

• Like 1

In case you haven't discovered it, you can wedge the switch between mode 1 and mode 2 to run both in parallel and get another sound out of it. Obviously it's not designed for it, but it's a delightful upside of behringer using the cheapest switches possible.

• Like 1