Why become a member? ×

NBD - G&L SB-2 Tribute

Greggo

Two NBD in a month! I traded an old Yamaha for a Squier CV Jazz V which I subsequently couldn't get on with and decided 4 strings is what I really want again. Sold the Jazz and a got me a lovely 2011 Bordeaux red G&L SB-2 Tribute.

I was originally shooting for a mexican Fender P-bass, but realised I might miss having the jazz pickup for blending. After doing some research online and through searches on Basschat I thought the SB-2 tribute would actually be the one and I wasn't wrong. Loving the slim neck and the punchy pickups!

Lack of tone control doesn't bother me, as I can always use some form of parametric EQ if I'm desperate, or just run the volumes lower. 

Definitely a good purchase and feels very well built and those pickups are superb.

Anyone else have one of these? 

IMG_20210327_143748892~2.jpg

• Like 10

These are very nice. I think it’s possibly the only Tribute model I haven’t owned though I did have a full fat USA SB-2 with a birdseye maple neck and ebony fingerboard. That one had been modded with a tone control but I liked the sound of the thing with the tone wide open. iirc the bridge pickup’s tonal characteristics and output meant it was best added in desired amount to give different flavours to the (main) split coil MFD pickup.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ahpook said:

I bought one a month or so. Very impressed with the sound and feel of it.

I've not really played any of my other basses since I got it - a month-long honeymoon period is an impressive feat in my book :)

Great stuff, they are great are they. The bass this one replaced had a honeymoon period of about 2 week's, but already can just tell this is the one. The setup on it was perfect so the previous owner must have fettled it nicely.

I think the pickguard has been changed form stock as it is meant to be white with this finish, but I'm liking the black.

6 hours ago, Greggo said:

Great stuff, they are great are they. The bass this one replaced had a honeymoon period of about 2 week's, but already can just tell this is the one. The setup on it was perfect so the previous owner must have fettled it nicely.

I think the pickguard has been changed form stock as it is meant to be white with this finish, but I'm liking the black.

Yes, the black looks grand.

I can't get over how good it sounds - just so even and full-sounding all across the fretboard.

On 28/03/2021 at 17:22, TheGreek said:

I recently sold mine - suspect I'll have sellers remorse at some stage - great bass for the bucks.

Who needs a tone knob??

I've just seen a post by you on Peds sb-1 thread with a picture of your SB-2. Yours had the black pickguard that wasn't standard - is there a chance that I have your previous bass?

34 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

Mine also had a black scratchplate....but I've deleted all the photos

That's what I mean, just wondered if it might be the same one, they normally come with white, unless both previous owner's ordered a black one from g&l

Very nice, I had a white one a few years back, great sounding/playing basses these.

I wish they would do an SB-1 Tribute.  I really don't care about bridge pickups, I always had it turned down/off on my SB-2.  There was/is a USA G&L SB-1 (it looks lovely in surf green), but if I'm going USA I'd rather get an L-1000 (in an equally fetching, if slightly bonkers purple metallic).   Only downside is that both of them cost more than my car did :)

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, neepheid said:

Very nice, I had a white one a few years back, great sounding/playing basses these.

I wish they would do an SB-1 Tribute.  I really don't care about bridge pickups, I always had it turned down/off on my SB-2.  There was/is a USA G&L SB-1 (it looks lovely in surf green), but if I'm going USA I'd rather get an L-1000 (in an equally fetching, if slightly bonkers purple metallic).   Only downside is that both of them cost more than my car did :)

I asked the question on G&L's FB page about a tribute SB-1 and a Kiloton.

They said, no plans but never say never.

On 01/04/2021 at 15:07, neepheid said:

On 01/04/2021 at 15:52, BassBunny said:

I asked the question on G&L's FB page about a tribute SB-1 and a Kiloton.

They said, no plans but never say never.

There's a really nice looking L2500 on Gumtree currently for £390

Yes, had one last year but had a trade offer that was hard to refuse.  I still have my L2000 Tribute to get my G&L fix but will perhaps get another SB2 later on down the road. 

Although a few other people I know who have the bass did the mod and added a tone knob, I didn't.  I thought of the jazz pickup as the tone knob to add the treble as needed , never used the pickup fully open or on it's own.  It's really more of a P bass with tonal options than your typical PJ bass.   

54800287_840978082943493_8082089296619634688_n.jpg

Many Years ago I had an original SB-2 with 2 jazz pickups it was a nice bass but kind of thin sounding. I traded it for a loaded Fender American Jazz In Ocean Turquoise (probably spelled that wrong). That was a Very Bad trade for me as the Fender was Lifeless sounding even with all the extras trying to make it work.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I

On 27/04/2021 at 22:07, ahpook said:

I still haven't felt the need to pick up any bass except my SB-2 since I got it,  just under 3 months ago.

It's my only bass now and pretty much does everything I need, I love it. I've just fitted flatwounds on it to see how it sounds. Not plugged in yet but I have a feeling I'm going to like it alot. I record a lot and have always found flats sound great in a mix and I think the full range of the MFD is going to really compliment flats.

• Like 3