Why become a member? ×

Jazz cover of Enter Sandman

oldslapper

4 hours ago, Paul S said:

Not doing it for me.  Jazz by numbers.  Nothing clever. 

Guitarist: cardigan, check.  Tie, check.  Pulling ecstatic faces while playing simple chords, check. 😂  

All IMO etc etc.

😂

I'm easily pleased Paul. I love a roll neck. 

1 hour ago, Ricky Rioli said:

What's the point of a jazz cover that drains the song of all its emotional content? 

The cover posted by the OP actually allowed me a greater appreciation of the original track, of which I previously wasn’t really a fan of.

I like it when I hear something that opens my ears and gets me thinking about things in a different way.

Different strokes for different folks, and all that. 

• Like 1

I like it too. Great guitar playing; great singing.

Must be honest, I don't really get people slagging off music they don't enjoy listening to, often to the point of prejudging it before a note is played. It's a free country (more or less...), but if you don't like it then why not just say so and be on your way?

When the thread title starts with the words 'Jazz cover' it's not exactly aerospace engineering to work out what it's likely to sound like, surely?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Old Man Riva said:

The cover posted by the OP actually allowed me a greater appreciation of the original track, of which I previously wasn’t really a fan of.

Likewise. I can't stand Metallica, but at least I got to the end of that and now appreciate there is a song underneath the original racket 🙂.

The vocalist was very close to Sinatra, and that's a good thing. Very smooth but with just a hint of menace in the delivery, no more than Frank would have though. The solo guitar in the middle felt out of place - presumably in the original there is a shreddy guitar section which he was copying? Better to have left it out and just served the vocal.

10 hours ago, leftybassman392 said:

I like it too. Great guitar playing; great singing.

Must be honest, I don't really get people slagging off music they don't enjoy listening to, often to the point of prejudging it before a note is played. It's a free country (more or less...), but if you don't like it then why not just say so and be on your way?

When the thread title starts with the words 'Jazz cover' it's not exactly aerospace engineering to work out what it's likely to sound like, surely?

I dislike most  jazz but I like Enter Sandman so why wouldn't I check out the thread? I just find the cover in the OP intensely dull

Of  course there's plenty of 'old school' Metallica fans who hated  the original 'Enter Sandman' and the entire Black album as the moment Metallica 'sold out'.

I think it's inevitable that 'classic' songs are going to get reworked and reinterpreted into other styles and genres.

It's hardly a new phenomenom.

I remember going through my my parents record collection in the early 80s and finding this absysmal swing cover of 'Mrs Robinson' by Frank Sinatra complete with altered lyrics.

Edited by Cato