Why become a member? ×

What 34” 5 string under £500

41Hz

I know it’s way out of the budget you have posted, but this 5 string will be a belter and if you don’t get on with it, you won’t lose much, if anything. @Doodwill no doubt confirm.

As for the muscle memory thing, you’re just gonna have to suck it up, but it can be done. I swap between 4’s and 5’s, sometimes mid set and it is something you get used to.

Edited by hiram.k.hackenbacker
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, 41Hz said:

Yes! It’s a lovely bass but as I’m just dipping my toe into 5 strings so didn’t want to break the bank just yet.

Did make me smile that when you stipulated a bass for around £500, in typical BC fashion we managed to recommend one for £1,650! Sometimes sticking to a budget is not our strongest point 😁

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

3 times your budget, you might not like it but you can sell it for a small loss 😂

To my mind, there are basses with 5 strings and then there are 5 string basses. The one I suggested is definitely the latter. I would argue that if a deal could be reached with the seller that the OP would lose less (if anything if he felt he wanted to re-sell) than buying a new budget 5’er. I’d have it in a heartbeat, but I don’t need it.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

To my mind, there are basses with 5 strings and then there are 5 string basses. The one I suggested is definitely the latter. I would argue that if a deal could be reached with the seller that the OP would lose less (if anything if he felt he wanted to re-sell) than buying a new budget 5’er. I’d have it in a heartbeat, but I don’t need it.

😂, but he doesnt want to spend anywhere near that. He said that already, thats what makes it so funny. 

And as we know, there are plenty of bases that fit right in to his budget that are more than gig worthy, as have been posted here and plenty of other threads.

To my mind there are players that will just play what they feel comfortable on, and those that can only play the very top end of basses, because......well, its got the name on the headstock innit and costs a bundle 😁. Those people look at the headstock and price tag first, get a semi on then work down the neck 😂.

Just as well we all have different minds. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, 41Hz said:

Shamberg. 🤣

Yeah, I’d looked at those, a lot of bass for the money, I’d seen some reports the HBs could be pretty heavy and the QC can be a bit inconsistent but I guess if you get a lemon you can send it back.

Currently thinking for £350 I can get a Yammy BB235 or TRBX305. Based on the sound clips I think the 235 sounds better, but I already have P, J and PJ basses so the 305 would add a more modern sound. Plus the 24 frets would be nice. Is there a big step up with a BB435, I don’t hear the 235 mentioned as much.

As well as the 235 and 435, have you looked into the 425? It character might be a little further away from your existing PJ basses than the 235 and 435 would be. I think a used one might be findable at £350. My 424 was £300 and has totally outcompeted my TRBX604 which cost twice as much, the stronger tonal character enough to make up for the thicker neck, the heavier body, the fewer frets and the less pretty wood.

Edited by Ricky Rioli
Sodding autocorrect changed the model numbers :(

5 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

😂, but he doesnt want to spend anywhere near that. He said that already, thats what makes it so funny. 

And as we know, there are plenty of bases that fit right in to his budget that are more than gig worthy, as have been posted here and plenty of other threads.

To my mind there are players that will just play what they feel comfortable on, and those that can only play the very top end of basses, because......well, its got the name on the headstock innit and costs a bundle 😁. Those people look at the headstock and price tag first, get a semi on then work down the neck 😂.

Just as well we all have different minds. 

Well, I’m glad I’ve provided some amusement for you. Not sure there was quite the need for the tone you’ve used, but yes, it does highlight that we all have different minds.

The MM Sub 5-strings are great basses to play, sound spot on, and value is off the scale.   You can get a new one for £400.  Buy with confidence, as that feels like the point where diminishing returns kick in hard.  It will always re-sell for a good price, when you need to raise funds for a ££££££ MM Stingray V.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the tips.... I hadn’t looked at the 425, I assume it is just the previous version of the 435, is there much difference?

That Peavey looks nice, but I guess I’d have to wait for one to pop up for sale.

I’ve got a MM sub4 so know they are great, mine has 20mm string spacing so assumed the sub5 would be generous too, but found out they are only 16mm, which makes me a but hesitant.

I was going to bid on that Maruszczyk Elwood 5 mentioned previously but I found out it had been ordered with the extra narrow bridge instead of the 19mm it comes with normally - shame as it went for a bit of a bargain price in the end.

Edited by 41Hz

9 hours ago, 41Hz said:

I hadn’t looked at the 425, I assume it is just the previous version of the 435, is there much difference?

One of the biggest changes between the older 425/1025 generation and the current 435/P35 range of BBs seems to be in the character of the pickups. Finding enough good demos of the various models on YouTube that you can get a sense of the difference takes a while, but can be done.

In a nutshell the current models seem more Fender-ish, less 80s Yamaha, and thus perhaps less likely to offer you something new. But that rather depends on what yr existing Ps and PJs are :D

iirc my ears were guided back in the autumn by a thorough post by @dave_bass5 so it's him you'll be wanting to take notice of, not me.

All 5 strings are going to feel like the spacing is very narrow by the very nature of moving to a 5er. I struggled for a bit (half an hour) but like the Borg, I learned to adapt. It doesn't take long..

I, Borg - Wikipedia

I found that I had to put my 4 strings away and to persevere with the 5s solely - previous attempts to move to 5s when I had 4 strings out meant I would always go for a 4string.

Good luck

On 26/03/2021 at 16:53, 41Hz said:

I keep thinking about trying a 5 string, but I’ve been a bit reluctant up until now in case I like it and it makes my 4 strings redundant.

Ideally I’d like a 34” scale length so it doesn’t affect my muscle memory switching to my 4 strings. Also I don’t get on too well with narrow string spacing - prefer a pbass neck to a J, though not sure if it is the spacing or the thickness/width.

Any suggestions? I don’t want to spend loads in case it’s not for me, ideally under £500 but might go higher if needed.

Just saw this and thought of you.

6 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Just saw this and thought of you.

Thanks for the heads up. That would have been ideal, but I’ve already committed to the BB735 for sale on here, so I’ll see how I get on with that.

• Like 2

I can see I’m a bit late to this thread, but I’m very supportive of Ibanez. My one needed some doing up - neck dive otherwise - but it’s my go to 5er now. See the thread below.

I have owned Modulus, Musicman, Yamaha, Peavey, Pedulla, and many other 5ers. This one gets the job done for cheap (even after mods). It also has 18mm string spacing whilst having a great neck.

Edited by funkle

As 5 strings go I would not rule out a 35" scale just for the much improved B. I have a Sire V3 and a V7 Both are much better quality than what you  might think for what they cost. I had a Squier Vintage Modified Jazz and it was very heavy and was returned in short order. For 34" scale I would Suggest and Ibanez SR655 as it has a decent B string is relatively light and has Nordstrand designed Pickups with an Ibanez Preamp. But it can be switched out to passive and the sound either way is very good. Also Harley Benton make some decent models for short money.

apples and oranges a bit but it would be very hard to beat a BB435 for the $$$ . out shines any fender at twice the price or any Sire in the $1000 range , I have them all . It has a funky bridge and tuners but the neck is a killer and the headstock angle insures a fairly tight B .