Why become a member? ×

What 34” 5 string under £500

41Hz

I keep thinking about trying a 5 string, but I’ve been a bit reluctant up until now in case I like it and it makes my 4 strings redundant.

Ideally I’d like a 34” scale length so it doesn’t affect my muscle memory switching to my 4 strings. Also I don’t get on too well with narrow string spacing - prefer a pbass neck to a J, though not sure if it is the spacing or the thickness/width.

Any suggestions? I don’t want to spend loads in case it’s not for me, ideally under £500 but might go higher if needed.

For your budget I'd recommend a used Yamaha BB1025 or used Sire P7v5 Mk2, both 18mm string spacing. And given the quality and popularity of these you shouldn't have too much problem moving them on without much, if any, loss. 

You may actually prefer a flatter neck on a 5 as being more comfortable, given you're starting with a wider neck in the first place.

Hopefully you're not too attached to your 4 strings 😁

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, 41Hz said:

I keep thinking about trying a 5 string, but I’ve been a bit reluctant up until now in case I like it and it makes my 4 strings redundant.

You're just worried you'd need to change your user name to 31Hz?🤣

Another shout for the Yamaha... Maybe even something like the BB235. Ok it's not the same spec as the 1025 mentioned above, but they're well under budget, share the same dimensions, and play and sound great.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, NickD said:

You're just worried you'd need to change your user name to 31Hz?🤣

I needed to give that a 😂 too, but was restricted to one reaction! 

3 minutes ago, NickD said:

Another shout for the Yamaha... Maybe even something like the BB235. Ok it's not the same spec as the 1025 mentioned above, but they're well under budget, share the same dimensions, and play and sound great.

I suspect the 235 won't be a million miles from the 1025, and it's had a very good write up from the few owners on the Yammy BB thread who have both the 235 and one of the higher end models - good shout.

• Haha 1

I have a Sire V3 and a MM Sterling SUB - both within your budget - no reservations about recommending either.

There are going to be loads which do the job within your budget - I'd look to see what you can borrow short term or try till the shops open.

• Like 1

I have a MM Sub4, it’s a great bass for the money. The sub5 was definitely on my radar and I was thinking of posting an ad to see if anyone wanted to swap a 5 for my sub4

I’m also a Yamaha fan, my first bass was an RBX270. 

The sires look like great value.

8 hours ago, Geek99 said:

What about the squier vintage modified jazz 5? They regularly come up on eBay for not much 

Yes, I’d consider one of those.

8 hours ago, 6feet7 said:

There's a Maruszczyk Elwood 5 on eBay for £499 at the moment. About 1/4 of what it was new.  I'd have it if I didn't have two already. 

That looks very nice! I’ll keep an eye on that thanks.

1 hour ago, 41Hz said:

Yes, I’d consider one of those.

That looks very nice! I’ll keep an eye on that thanks.

You can move it on for similar money if you don’t get on with it. I’ve played the 4 string version and they’re very nice even in stock condition 

• Like 1

Isn't there a Yamaha TRBX 5er on here for £350 or so.  Rock solid I believe but I've never played one.

The Maruszczyk on ebay is about 4.6kgs (I asked) so not exactly lightweight!

34 minutes ago, ead said:

Isn't there a Yamaha TRBX 5er on here for £350 or so.  Rock solid I believe but I've never played one.

Wow! They’re not normally so weighty.

1 hour ago, ead said:

1 hour ago, ezbass said:

Wow! They’re not normally so weighty.

Ouch. Both mine are just over 3Kg. Anything over 4 is just plain silly.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 6feet7 said:

Ouch. Both mine are just over 3Kg. Anything over 4 is just plain silly.

4.6kg is definitely at the higher end, but your bog-standard Elwood 5 is about 4.25kg.  You pay extra for the chambered ones (I think those are called "Elwood L".)

Have a browse at https://www.public-peace.de/bass-guitars/maruszczyk/elwood/5-string

26 minutes ago, jrixn1 said:

4.6kg is definitely at the higher end, but your bog-standard Elwood 5 is about 4.25kg.  You pay extra for the chambered ones (I think those are called "Elwood L".)

Have a browse at https://www.public-peace.de/bass-guitars/maruszczyk/elwood/5-string

I've got two Maru's at just over 3kg so already know the website. Absolutely wonderful basses, but lightweight is the way to go for me nowadays.

I have the 4-string version of this, which is well-constructed, though I wasn't happy with the passive volume & blend -> active EQ wiring. I call mine the Shamberg, and it's currently wired passive 2V2T with some EMGs on the way in a few weeks.

Shamberg. 🤣

Yeah, I’d looked at those, a lot of bass for the money, I’d seen some reports the HBs could be pretty heavy and the QC can be a bit inconsistent but I guess if you get a lemon you can send it back.

Currently thinking for £350 I can get a Yammy BB235 or TRBX305. Based on the sound clips I think the 235 sounds better, but I already have P, J and PJ basses so the 305 would add a more modern sound. Plus the 24 frets would be nice. Is there a big step up with a BB435, I don’t hear the 235 mentioned as much.

I had a TRBX 505 for over a year. Loved it at first, but felt the overal tone, and the B string to be lacking life and punch. I guess it depends on what you expect, but it seemed like a dulled down bass. 

I replaced it with a Sire V7 (first gen) and that was so much more livelier and useable. Not light though. I also have a BB425 that i love, and was so cheap its just not even worth selling (not that i would). The 425 is now my go to 5 string, cant see me getting much use out of the Sire, but this is a P vs J thing rather than anything else. 

I had a 435 for a free weeks, and was blown away with it. 8lbs, proper ‘Fender’ P tone. Stupidly sent it back as we went in to lock down. Ive tired to track it down by no luck. 

Obviously these are standard P/Jazz basses though. 

Another option would be a Lakland Sykline 55-01. Although that’s a 36in its a step up as far as playability goes for me. My first ‘real’ 5 string bass. 

• Like 1