Why become a member? ×

What do you want better bass demos of?

BadHands

Reasonably self explanatory.

Thanks to the good people here, on Talkbass and Reddit, I've put together a nice little manifesto for my demonstration channel, but now I want to know if there are any particular effect types/specific pedals you feel are underserved when you're looking for gear?

Not sure about undeserved but on overdrive pedals I’d like to gear them with a touch of break up rather than full on. Additionally I’d like to see demos of pedals with Jazz or Precision type basses rather than coffee table type basses. Nothing against those basses, it’s just with a Jazz or Precision I can get an idea of how the pedal would sound for me, whereas demoed with a bass that I - and many I’d guess - have no experience of it’s difficult to gain an understanding of how the pedal would work for me.

• Like 5

17 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Not sure about undeserved but on overdrive pedals I’d like to gear them with a touch of break up rather than full on. Additionally I’d like to see demos of pedals with Jazz or Precision type basses rather than coffee table type basses. Nothing against those basses, it’s just with a Jazz or Precision I can get an idea of how the pedal would sound for me, whereas demoed with a bass that I - and many I’d guess - have no experience of it’s difficult to gain an understanding of how the pedal would work for me.

This is something that's come up quite a bit, and I'll definitely be doing. I'm also thinking of using a stingray to show active sounds, and P for passive. Means I actually have to change the P's strings though ;)

You might be limiting your audience but I'd be keen to see reviews of some of the more boutique pedals (and not brand new ones) that don't already have comparison videos.

If there are already 20 videos for something popular like the EHX Big Muff then there isn't really a need for another one, plus those pedals are relatively easy to buy/try/return online or try in shops so I don't need video reviews so much. 

There aren't many videos for something like the COG Tarkin though which is more tricky to try out - and what videos  there are don't tend to have A/B comparisons with similar pedals so is difficult to really know how it'll sound. Likewise DHA pedals and I'm sure loads others but they are just two I've bought lately and hadn't been able to find many useful video reviews of. 

• Like 1

Guitar pedals which work well for bass. I feel like there's a tonne of stuff out there marketed for guitar which would work great for bass, but I haven't got the time or money to experiment, so it would be cool if there was a channel doing it.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

As we are at it, be structured, organised and consistent, always using the same pattern for demoing, like the exact same riff played dry and wet. Play fingerstyle (no f*cking useless slap). And if you use different basses, please use the same strings and in the same situation with the same pickup(s) settings. Ideally quite similar basses (not a full maple neck bolt-on compared to a neck though ash neck with wenge fingerboard, for instance) with same setup.

Follow @Lozz196 idea with a standard jazz and a standard precision as we all know how they sound.

Start with a dry flat setting riff (and show the settings onscreen) and repeat it with the wet settings (avoid extreme settings that are really useless).

There are already so many totally useless demos on the web, don't add some... 😉

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

If a pedal can't do unity gain ( or close ) between off and on then it's dead to me

This is in the manifesto for sure :D Thanks!

5 hours ago, Hellzero said:

As we are at it, be structured, organised and consistent, always using the same pattern for demoing

This is a big one that I'm keeping in mind. The whole reason I've decided to do this is I want consistent tests.

Thanks for your answers - I'll be asking all of you for feedback when I start getting them up. Be brutal.

• Like 1