Why become a member? ×

Dream bass heartbreak

bassatnight

I have been saving for quite a while for my dream Fretless a Wal MK (anything) in four or five string, then early this morning I get a mail from a mate who has seen one for sale on the Bass Gallery and go to the website immediately, I eagerly pop ithe beauty into the basket and pay.

I am over the moon with the thought of my dreams coming true, I receive the email confirmation and then try and work out how to hide it from the other half and two hours later I get a phone call from them, and my face goes from smile to frown in a second, there is a mix up and someone bought it overnight via bank transfer...

ouch and double blooming ouch!

Not so smiling Steve.

• Sad 4

I feel you. When Steve Harris royal blue Fender p bass was still available in stores , I hesitated. When I finally decided to get one, they discontinued. I phoned around many, many retailers across UK, Europe. Nothing. Then sometimes later I found one in the good old Basschat. I'm sure one will pop up here.

• Like 3

The problem is, I think, that the website shows the bass as 'sold' if someone buys it online, but if someone calls up to buy it then it'll show as in stock until someone manually updates the inventory.

I had the same worry when I bought a bass I was desperate to find. I paid online and called the next day to check if I was indeed first, half expecting that the item was gone already. I was lucky but it was hard to sleep that night!!

Just tell yourself that the bass could have been a dog and the right one will come along eventually...

• Like 2

19 hours ago, TheGreek said:

I (well, @philw) found my Wal custom through the Wal forum on FB.

Are you looking there?

Yes, a lot of folks pop advance warning up at the Wal Bass Lovers Of The World Unite FB group before they consign them or launch their TB/BC/Reverb ads... Well worth a look.

23 hours ago, bassatnight said:

I have been saving for quite a while for my dream Fretless a Wal MK (anything) in four or five string, then early this morning I get a mail from a mate who has seen one for sale on the Bass Gallery and go to the website immediately, I eagerly pop ithe beauty into the basket and pay.

I am over the moon with the thought of my dreams coming true, I receive the email confirmation and then try and work out how to hide it from the other half and two hours later I get a phone call from them, and my face goes from smile to frown in a second, there is a mix up and someone bought it overnight via bank transfer...

ouch and double blooming ouch!

Not so smiling Steve.

That's gotta hurt, I've all but given up the idea of owning another Wal, I had a 4 string Pro 2 in the 80's and I'd love a Mark 2 or 3 5 string fretless, but I have neither the patience or the money.