Why become a member? ×

Returning To The Fold?

spongebob

Hi BC'ers!

I've been out of the bass loop for around 18 months. 

I essentially grew tired of my own playing, the band I was in, just everything, really.....I really needed a break from it, so sold pretty much all my gear through the site here. No regrets. 

I've kept a look in occasionally, but obviously with COVID, all I've been doing is working 6 days a week, with no real interest in the bass world.

However, of late, I've begun to look here on a daily basis.....browsing Bass Direct.....just getting a bit of a bug to play again. I'd done about 25-odd years before I stopped. An old drumming pal contacted me about some possible recording.

Spotted a couple of items, the GAS has kicked in a little - I'd really like to almost start over, and really look at scales, technique, etc., which I never really bothered with before. Change my tone.

My only problem that's holding me back is my own reservation - ie, the chances of playing out again post-COVID. Opportunities around here were drying up long before I stopped (part of my reason), and I couldn't face being just a home player. I've no interest in playing covers in pubs, either (done that xxxx times over). Not making this easy, am I?! Originals I love doing.

Clearly, getting back in takes some cash, fine, but I'd want a decent bass - can't face anything less, as I'd only be selling it to upgrade weeks later!

Apologies for the rambling post....I guess I'm just sounding out loud for some validation, and some ideas of what's possible looking forward. I feel I'm ready to start over, just a little hesitant that I'll end up back where I was before. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, spongebob said:

Hi BC'ers!

I've been out of the bass loop for around 18 months. 

I essentially grew tired of my own playing, the band I was in, just everything, really.....I really needed a break from it, so sold pretty much all my gear through the site here. No regrets. 

I've kept a look in occasionally, but obviously with COVID, all I've been doing is working 6 days a week, with no real interest in the bass world.

However, of late, I've begun to look here on a daily basis.....browsing Bass Direct.....just getting a bit of a bug to play again. I'd done about 25-odd years before I stopped. An old drumming pal contacted me about some possible recording.

Spotted a couple of items, the GAS has kicked in a little - I'd really like to almost start over, and really look at scales, technique, etc., which I never really bothered with before. Change my tone.

My only problem that's holding me back is my own reservation - ie, the chances of playing out again post-COVID. Opportunities around here were drying up long before I stopped (part of my reason), and I couldn't face being just a home player. I've no interest in playing covers in pubs, either (done that xxxx times over). Not making this easy, am I?! Originals I love doing.

Clearly, getting back in takes some cash, fine, but I'd want a decent bass - can't face anything less, as I'd only be selling it to upgrade weeks later!

Apologies for the rambling post....I guess I'm just sounding out loud for some validation, and some ideas of what's possible looking forward. I feel I'm ready to start over, just a little hesitant that I'll end up back where I was before. 

I completely understand where you're coming from and, apart from not selling all my equipment (I've kept my one bass and my pedals but all my amplification is gone), it could have been me writing this - I think I've played maybe 6 times since March 2020.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, spongebob said:

Hi BC'ers!

I've been out of the bass loop for around 18 months...

'S'what comes of being 'picky', though, isn't it..? It's fine when the choices and opportunities are there, but becomes a bit 'painted into a corner' when the wheels stop turning. If there's only a few, limited situations that float your boat, get the work in in practising and learning, and wait for the golden opportunity to knock on your door, or start hustling to make it happen. It's not the easy route, though, so be prepared for either lowering your expectations (although that doesn't sound likely, given your stance...), or a struggle to meet all criteria. Go for the recording and take it from there, and use the occasion to strike up new acquaintances, open up the 'networking'. I hope it all works out, and BC is always here for ranting, kudos, jokes and (sometimes stale...) advice.
Other than that : welcome back. :friends:

• Like 1

Welcome back...

I don't think you're alone in your journey. I stopped playing in the 90s after hitting a plateau in my playing and discontent in playing other people stuff. When I started again I decided that I wasn't going to play covers, rather do stuff I actually want to.

Hopefully you've got an idea of want you want from playing bass and get the satisfaction you deserve from the hard work you put in.

• Like 2

Thanks chaps, really appreciated!

Glad to here I'm not alone in this - it's funny how taking the plunge back in, is in fact harder than quitting in the first place.

I've been kind of forced into a short period off work at the mo, and that's what got me thinking. I did try vinyl collecting in my bass-break, but that didn't go that well, so it's been sold.

I'm kind of back at where I left off - and that's the hard bit. Wish I had a time machine to see how things will end up, as I'm not mad on throwing a pile of cash at something which may prove fruitless. It's me, I know!