Why become a member? ×

Joni; jaco & Pat. Doesn’t get much better

Grahambythesea

Recently found this amazing performance on YouTube. Joni Mitchell, who’s guitar work is pretty good, with Pat Metheny, Jaco Pastorius and Michael Brecker on sax thrown in for good measure.  Jaco has a solo spot at around 24, but it’s his accompanying playing that I think is so good. He seems to be using a fretted jazz on track 1 before switching to the more familiar fretless. Enjoy.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Grahambythesea said:

Recently found this amazing performance on YouTube. Joni Mitchell, who’s guitar work is pretty good, with Pat Metheny, Jaco Pastorius and Michael Brecker on sax thrown in for good measure.  Jaco has a solo spot at around 24, but it’s his accompanying playing that I think is so good. He seems to be using a fretted jazz on track 1 before switching to the more familiar fretless. Enjoy.

Ah, you've touched a nerve here as I have often stated in these hallowed (web) pages that not only is Joni Mitchell (one of) my all-time favourite songwriter(s) but Shadows & Light is probably my all-time favourite live concert. (Get yourself the extended DVD version if you can). What really makes this gig one of the best (imho) is the excellent Pat Metheny (all-time fave Jazz guitarist) and Jaco ('nuff said!). You also mentioned Mike Brecker (brilliant) but I'll just give a huge shout out to the incredible Lyle Mays on keys (Pat's long-time musical partner) and finally highly-respected drummer and percussionist, Don Alias.

As for Joni Mitchell's guitar work being 'pretty good' - obviously not a lead guitar player, as such, she actually 'invented' many alternate tunings for herself. In short, this was because she contracted polio as a child and found it difficult for her left hand to play regular chords in standard tuning. (There's a ton of stuff online about JM but jonimitchell.com is a good place to start). :) 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I picked up this album many years ago by keyboardist/producer Michel Colombier which included Jaco and also Larry Carlton on guitar, Steve Gadd on drums, Airto on percussion, etc.

Michel Colombier: Amazon.co.uk: Music

But I was blown away by the track, "Dreamland", which (for me) features Jaco at his melodic and sublime best.

• Thanks 1

To continue @Jus Lukin comment, Jaco's solo here is utter bullsh*t and absolutely useless. I watched the whole concert today and must confess that there's indeed some kind of fighting between Joni Mitchell and the band. The trilogy studio albums with Jaco Pastorius on (non show off) bass are more interesting finally.

That said, I hardly can't stand folk or americana...

Just another impression on this, in view of the (perfectly valid...) opinions above, I've been a Joni Mitchell fan since... Well, forever, so some bias here. She has a very varied set of interests, and has, over time gone down several different rabbit holes, and explored many different genres. I find it perfectly fitting that, whilst respecting the more delicate numbers, there's a bit of 'raunch' on stages of the sort. There are other videos of more intimate occasions, and I found it refreshing to see and hear her evident enjoyment of this performance. I'll freely accept the reservations mentioned; it doesn't detract at all, for me, whenever I watch this video (and I've played it extensively..!). I can think of only one or two songs from her whole repertoire that I could be tempted to skip over, but even then I probably wouldn't. One of the Great Wonders of the Modern World, to me; her art and output have brought so much light and joy into my life. B|

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dad3353 said:

Just another impression on this, in view of the (perfectly valid...) opinions above, I've been a Joni Mitchell fan since... Well, forever, so some bias here. She has a very varied set of interests, and has, over time gone down several different rabbit holes, and explored many different genres. I find it perfectly fitting that, whilst respecting the more delicate numbers, there's a bit of 'raunch' on stages of the sort. There are other videos of more intimate occasions, and I found it refreshing to see and hear her evident enjoyment of this performance. I'll freely accept the reservations mentioned; it doesn't detract at all, for me, whenever I watch this video (and I've played it extensively..!). I can think of only one or two songs from her whole repertoire that I could be tempted to skip over, but even then I probably wouldn't. One of the Great Wonders of the Modern World, to me; her art and output have brought so much light and joy into my life. B|

Well said @Dad3353

She is one the few artists who's work and career arc (for want of a better phrase) have had that sort of spellbinding power over us mere mortals.. 

I used to have a book years ago called - I think - 'The Craft of Lyric writing', or something like that anyway... It was a great book, full of fascinating analysis and insight into the craft of lyric writing in popular music..and it had sections on writers like Dylan, The Beatles, Cole Porter etc, etc.. 

But the author reserved their absolute highest praise for Joni Mitchell, saying that she was just on another level to everyone else. 

As the years have gone by, I'm more and more convinced that the author was 100% correct. Joni Mitchell is the greatest storytelling songwriter of the last 50 years... 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Because of this I watched “Shadows And Light” and then “Live at the Victoria Theatre in London” straight afterwards, but I would have really liked to have seen footage from the “Miles Of Aisles” era, not sure if there is any? 

7 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

5 hours ago, silverfoxnik said:

Well said @Dad3353

She is one the few artists who's work and career arc (for want of a better phrase) have had that sort of spellbinding power over us mere mortals.. 

I used to have a book years ago called - I think - 'The Craft of Lyric writing', or something like that anyway... It was a great book, full of fascinating analysis and insight into the craft of lyric writing in popular music..and it had sections on writers like Dylan, The Beatles, Cole Porter etc, etc.. 

But the author reserved their absolute highest praise for Joni Mitchell, saying that she was just on another level to everyone else. 

As the years have gone by, I'm more and more convinced that the author was 100% correct. Joni Mitchell is the greatest storytelling songwriter of the last 50 years... 

TOTALLY!! :) 

Edited by Stingray5
  • Like 1

On 25/03/2021 at 10:41, Grahambythesea said:

Joni Mitchell, who’s guitar work is pretty good, with Pat Metheny, Jaco Pastorius and Michael Brecker on sax thrown in for good measure. 

On 'In France They Kiss on Main Street', Pat's lick when he's tidying up his solo always gets me (4:41) ...Then straight after, his quote at around 5:32.

A great way to warm up and start a gig... :D

On the ballads and slower tunes, I particularly like Jaco's touch, feel and tone. Although, I lost interest in his solo spot when it slithered up his backside a bit.

I thought the whole concert had great dynamics from Joni and the players, and for me, the musicians on show oozed bucket loads of skill, feel and technique.

VID unavailable ? 

where's it gone

I've only recently listened to Joni Mitchell with the Wild Things Run Fast album. Not Jaco on bass but its an amazing album. I can see me buying more of her albums. Altho i respect and appreciate Jaco i wouldn't buy an album just because he's on it. The album needs to stand on its own merit and not because it has famous musicians.

Dave

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

VID unavailable ? 

where's it gone

I've only recently listened to Joni Mitchell with the Wild Things Run Fast album. Not Jaco on bass but its an amazing album. I can see me buying more of her albums. Altho i respect and appreciate Jaco i wouldn't buy an album just because he's on it. The album needs to stand on its own merit and not because it has famous musicians.

Dave

'Both Sides, Now (2000)', Is really worth a listen.

The terrific Vince Mendoza arranged and conducted the Orchestra. The musicians credit list is pretty formidable, but don't let that put you off as a chops album, it's not.

Both Sides Now (Joni Mitchell album) - Wikipedia

Edited by lowdown
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, lowdown said:

'Both Sides, Now (2000)', Is really worth a listen.

The terrific Vince Mendoza arranged and conducted the Orchestra. The musicians credit list is pretty formidable, but don't let that put you off as a chops album, it's not.

Both Sides Now (Joni Mitchell album) - Wikipedia

absolutely amazing album, stellar work on all sides IMHO

• Like 1

Over the years I've fallen in and out of love with the Shadows & Light project.

When I was younger and it first came out I loved it, mainly due to Joni and Jaco. As the years have passed it's not something I tend to listen to/watch that often - first time I saw the concert was on BBC2, I think, and even then I'm not sure it was the full recording.

I don't think the project has been particularly well handled by the various releases over the years as they've been a bit 'all over the place' - the first issue of the CD omitted tracks from the original double album release, then there was a subsequent version that contained all tracks from the album, though no release contains all tracks from the film! At least I don't think they do - there's every chance I'm wrong!

In terms of the band, I think it was her intention to put together a kind of 'superstar' group for this (fairly short US only) tour off the back of the Mingus album. Big players, with big personalities from a jazz background to bring a different approach/sound to her songs. I think she was prepared to accept a bit of overplaying here and there in order to embrace that improvisational jazz approach.

This was an interesting time in her career, where the Mingus album was pretty much panned by critics across all genres (even Mingus himself was said to be disappointed by how some of it had turned out). The album was her least successful (in terms of sales) of all of her 70s output, and for me marks the end of a particular era of her music. The next album would throw up a different sound and approach to her songwriting - crafted around a more production/poppier approach.

I love pretty much all of her work, and her approach to the Mingus album (whether it turned out particularly well or not) is something that I think her marks her out from most other artists, where she possessed a genuine desire to take risks in her music, and damn the consequences and what other people thought.

She can pretty much do no wrong for me...

• Like 2