Why become a member? ×

Singlecut bolt on neck build planning

Jimothey

4 hours ago, Jimothey said:

I've been thinking about doing a single cut bolt on neck since seeing @Andyjr1515 build

Heres what I've come up with so far....... 

1584399372_newbass.thumb.png.508bce884abfbb4392e9f55ba32bc4a4.png

Not sure on the body wood yet I really want to do a Black Limba top but we'll have to see if funds will permit me......... 👍🏻 

That looks very nice :)

• Thanks 1

I've been thinking about doing a single cut bolt on neck since seeing @Andyjr1515 build

Heres what I've come up with so far....... 

1584399372_newbass.thumb.png.508bce884abfbb4392e9f55ba32bc4a4.png

Not sure on the body wood yet I really want to do a Black Limba top but we'll have to see if funds will permit me......... 👍🏻 

Looks great! 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Matt P said:

I'm liking the look of this, limba top with ash back and ebony demarcation will look fantastic.

any thoughts on pickups?

Matt

Hopefully it will look good! 

I'm gonna try and put a MM in a ramp style pickup cover but I'm hoping to cut the square out of the top and then use it as the top of the pickup/ramp cover so the grain all matches bit like this..... 👍🏻 

_20210325_134232.thumb.JPG.1c8996e8ed624a584b073f4d5b81ed2c.JPG

• Like 4

I thought before I buy the timber for this I'll do a bit of a test body to see how its going to work, its just going to be Redwood back with some left over Oak on top I had kicking about, I'm going to try and ceruse the top black with white grain filler instead this time? You never know if it looks good I might just keep it that way?? 

_20210327_085412.thumb.JPG.2827c0c5f38ae4d2fe38ec2badefbe06.JPG_20210327_085443.thumb.JPG.5be01485b9079b6aa3b11a24dc91d0b4.JPG

On paper imo it looked really good but I'm not so sure now its kinda in the flesh, and I can't use a tune o'matic bridge like I planned because it brings the neck out way too far so it didn't look right, back to a standard bridge?...👍🏻 

Edited by Jimothey

1 hour ago, Jimothey said:

I can't use a tune o'matic bridge like I planned because it brings the neck out way too far so it didn't look right

Yes - it can make a big difference.  Clearly, you can 'stretch' the body length to compensate but it does change the sit on the strap and the feel of the scale length.  With a bridge fully back, you can get a 34" scale feeling more like a short scale and vice-versa.  I can never believe that a Cort Curbow is full scale 34" when I put one on the strap...

What scale is this?

Its 34" I don't like short scale

I was considering stretching the body but just from an aesthetic point of view I don't think it would look right?

I planned it so the bridge would sit as far back as I could get it as my inspiration came from this... 

_20210327_105217.JPG.34b32166029054cae0956de9080f8d89.JPG

Which I suppose I could still do and just have the saddle part and not the tailpiece?...... 👍🏻 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TheGreek said:

RIM basses.

TRADED: RIM Marseer Custom 6 - Basses For Sale - Basschat

RIM Custom Basses – Welcome to Luthier Directory

I get what you mean now! It's a CG Lutherie bass  Yeah thats kinda what I'm thinking of doing, but I don't know if it would be better doing the tailpiece as a metal insert or just rout out a keyhole in the body itself?? 

@Andyjr1515 I wanted to use a 2 piece bridge as I've never done a bass with that style bridge and I really like the way the strings are held in place on the pic I posted earlier and I'm just trying to figure out the best way to do it??..... 👍🏻 

I wanted to use a 2 piece bridge as I've never done a bass with that style bridge and I really like the way the strings are held in place on the pic I posted earlier and I'm just trying to figure out the best way to do it??....

It's back to my adage that building basses and guitars is a series of compromises held together by hope xD

If you didn't have the cutaway at the tailstock, then you could fit a two piece in without moving the neck or stretching the body.  Or you could leave the cutaway and stretch the body...or move the neck.  

It's sometimes a bit like parking in an empty...having too many choices is sometimes more challenging than not having enough ;)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

It's back to my adage that building basses and guitars is a series of compromises held together by hope xD

If you didn't have the cutaway at the tailstock, then you could fit a two piece in without moving the neck or stretching the body.  Or you could leave the cutaway and stretch the body...or move the neck.  

It's sometimes a bit like parking in an empty...having too many choices is sometimes more challenging than not having enough ;)

I think I might make the cutaway at the bridge smaller and still try and inset a tailpiece (for no other reason that I think it would look good!?!) and bring the neck back a little bit more? 

I'll have a play about with it  to see how it looks tomorrow when I go back to work...... 👍🏻 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Jimothey said:

Had a bit of a play on inkscape and heres a actual to scale pic so I think the dimensions are looking better?.........👍🏻 

1351618788_newbass(1).thumb.png.d9fe5359222a12ebf986ab8e5fd960dc.png

Dimensions or proportions, @Jimothey ?

Proportions look about right to me.  Dimensions...no idea.  On my screen, it looks a bit small with a scale length of around 53mm :D

Looks nice, whatever :)

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Dimensions or proportions, @Jimothey ?

Proportions look about right to me.  Dimensions...no idea.  On my screen, it looks a bit small with a scale length of around 53mm :D

Looks nice, whatever :)

Ha ha bit of both I've done it so the all the sizes of the fretboard etc are the correct size and the centre line you can see is 34" so I can check the position of the bridge/pickup are accurate but it might end up being a 5er not sure at the moment 

Hopefully when I print the body off it will look better this time?..... 👍🏻 

Edited by Jimothey
  • Like 1

I like how the lines on the lower body flow into each other. Personally I would shorten the lower horn to the same point as the end of the fretboard. I know this is quite significant but I'm not a fan of long lower horns.

Expect a letter from Ernie Ball's lawyers - you know they have copyrighted the 3+1 headstock design - No, really.

59 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

I like how the lines on the lower body flow into each other. Personally I would shorten the lower horn to the same point as the end of the fretboard. I know this is quite significant but I'm not a fan of long lower horns.

Expect a letter from Ernie Ball's lawyers - you know they have copyrighted the 3+1 headstock design - No, really

I get what your saying re the lower horn but I like the slightly longer lower horn on this design, where as on my neck thru build a stubby lower horn does look better so I think I'm going to stick with the design at present but once I've cut the body if I decide to I can always shorten it?

P. S 🖕🏻to Ernie ball and any other company (especially them that shall not be named!!) that gets irritated by hobby builders borrowing their designs to build an instrument for themselves!! But fair enough if you start commercially building guitars..... 👍🏻 

Edited by Jimothey

• 2 weeks later...