Why become a member? ×

Sealed 15 inch cab

Bloc Riff Nut

Hello everyone, 

I think im looking for a sealed 15 inch cab to pair with my combo.

The combo is a sealed valve Trace Elliot with a single 15 inch driver. It's slightly underpowered when playing with the band so I want another driver to add volume and was thinking another 15 inch cab would have a similar footprint for stacking. 

I associate sealed cabs with tighter low end but this is from playing a few decades ago and im not sure I'd that's still the case. 

The problem is you can't bloody go anywhere to try out gear so im hoping to narrow my search as much as possible b4 ordering anything. 

Any tips for an 8Ohm15 inch cab with tight lows is what im after. 

The amp im using is a Twin Valve

Cheers

Phil

Edited by Bloc Riff Nut
Spelling and ohmage

I have two Ashdown Rootmaster 15 cabinets and they are sealed. They have enough highs with tweeters. 300 watts ,less than 35 lbs. I wish they had used thicker plywood because the sides vibrate a lot . I haven't used them at a gig yet...

Edited by grenadillabama
spelling

They don't need thicker plywood, they need bracing. A single brace connecting the middles of two opposing panels has the same effect as making the panels twice as thick, with far less weight. More braces make things even better. There are three ways that manufacturers cheap out on speakers. One is to use inexpensive drivers, the other two are insufficient or even non-existent bracing and wadding. All three they get away with because you can't see it without taking the cab apart.

I associate sealed cabs with tighter low end

They have less low end than ported, which can seem tighter, especially in comparison with ported cabs that are too small, which results in boomy response.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bloc Riff Nut said:

I got a1153 second hand for 80 quid. It's perfect size but too deep/woolly for my tastes.  I've never heard of the plugs.  But I think have a search for them. 

Just roll up pieces of foam and stuff them in the ports. Cheap and enables you to experiment whether partially or totally blocking them works best.

• Like 1

On 27/03/2021 at 14:50, Dan Dare said:

Just roll up pieces of foam and stuff them in the ports. Cheap and enables you to experiment whether partially or totally blocking them works best.

(Back in the day) My Trace cabs came without the aforementioned plugs. I called them and purchased a pair for a tenner. Looked nicer, but in reality were no better than the tightly rolled-up small towels I'd shoved in them previously. 🤣

• Haha 1