Why become a member? ×

Cheap second hand EUB question

lksmks792

Hi all

Today at a local music store I noticed an unbranded EUB sitting in the corner. There were slight traces of use and the salesman informed me that it had been repaired at the neck joint (it was visible at well). Electrically though it seemed to be in order. They demoed it for me and to my ears there was definitely nothing wrong with the sound or the controls. The store in question used to be owned by a renowned luthier so if he did the repair, it should be well done. I'm not sure whether that's the case though.

I've been thinking about getting into playing upright bass for a while but the prices for even a cheap instrument have always held me back. This bass however was only 300 euros. The people at the store told me this was because even they didn't really know anything about it and because of the repair. The store has recently been taken over by a chain so I guess it's just an instrument that was already there about which they don't have any information.

I was thinking about maybe making an offer of 200-250 euros for it. If it's not my thing, I figure I could probably get my money back by selling it.

Because I obviously know nothing about EUB's, I thought it would be wise to ask around first. What are the risks, could it be worth it, should I be concerned they're 'only' asking 300 euros, ...?

Sadly I don't have any pictures but except for the repair at the neck joint and the slight marks of use it seemed well enough made. 

Thanks for any advice you guys could give me!

Lukas

Hi, if it's unbranded, I would check the scale length (nut to bridge measurement) - there's no standard but 3/4 acoustic basses are usually between 41 and 42 inches. Some EUBs are 34 inches like a bass guitar and won't be as good. Also check that the finger board is curved so that you can bow it. Some EUBs have flat finger boards. Both these things mean that if you switch to an acoustic bass later, it will feel familiar. 

Also I'd check the pickup - piezzo is usually better than magnetic if you want a more acoustic sound.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Geek99 said:

Need pictures really ....then someone can probably identify it and you can find it’s value 

Hi - thanks for your reply. I thought of it to late and anyway I doubt the salesman would allow me to take a picture in the store. I hoped there'd be some general advice anyway. But of course I do understand it's difficult to assess without pictures.

1 hour ago, petebassist said:

Hi, if it's unbranded, I would check the scale length (nut to bridge measurement) - there's no standard but 3/4 acoustic basses are usually between 41 and 42 inches. Some EUBs are 34 inches like a bass guitar and won't be as good. Also check that the finger board is curved so that you can bow it. Some EUBs have flat finger boards. Both these things mean that if you switch to an acoustic bass later, it will feel familiar. 

Also I'd check the pickup - piezzo is usually better than magnetic if you want a more acoustic sound.

If I had to guess I'd say the scale length was longer than a bass guitar's. I 'played' it for a bit and the experience was definitely different. The fingerboard did have a curve to it so I guess that's a good thing. There's also a piezo in it (I asked) but the man from the store said something about '2 pickups', I wouldn't really know what the second one would be though (neither did he anyway). There wasn't a magnetic pickup in sight anyway. I'd think if there's a piezo it would be underneath the bridge, but I wouldn't know where a second one would be. 

Thanks for your reply!

i think that when it comes to cheap EUBs there are only really 2 models on sale, the Palantino and the Stagg, (i'm willing to be corrected though) i think both of theses are sold under a few different names as well.

have a look through the classifieds and see if you can identify which one it is, there are 2 different versions of the Stagg with different headstocks, the earlier ones were known for having issues with the headstock so my money is on it being one of these.

I have one of the later Stagg ones and i'm very happy with it (mine is slightly modded with a new tailpiece and different strings)

once you've identified which one it is then working out a value is much easier.

Matt

1 hour ago, Matt P said:

i think that when it comes to cheap EUBs there are only really 2 models on sale, the Palantino and the Stagg, (i'm willing to be corrected though) i think both of theses are sold under a few different names as well.

have a look through the classifieds and see if you can identify which one it is, there are 2 different versions of the Stagg with different headstocks, the earlier ones were known for having issues with the headstock so my money is on it being one of these.

I have one of the later Stagg ones and i'm very happy with it (mine is slightly modded with a new tailpiece and different strings)

Matt

Hi 

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Looking at pictures of both of those brands I don't think it was either of those. It did look most like a Palatino though, with its slimmed down 'classical' styling. Biggest difference with the Palatino I could find was it having control knobs on the back instead of on the side. There might be or have been a Palatino with controls on the back of course, but I only find information about one model on the internet.

The bass looked as if it could be about 20 years old though, so it might just as well have been made by a manufacterer that has long been gone.

Any way I've decided to think about it for a week or so and then maybe ask for more information and make an offer. 

Thanks to all of you for replying!

1 hour ago, Matt P said:

Matt

I think Harley Benton do some too - check out https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_db01_sb_electric_double_bass.htm, if only for comparison purposes.  You'll notice that neither these nor the Stagg are expensive, even  by comparison with the one you've found.  Might be better to get a new one, if only for the warranty.  I had a Stagg for a while - it had a great tone, but was just a massive object in the context of my very small studio.

Good luck.

Pete

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lksmks792 said:

... I doubt the salesman would allow me to take a picture in the store...

I can't think of any valid reason for objecting to the taking of photos, especially if you're showing an interest in buying it. Such a refusal, without acceptable motivation, would make me assume the worst; that there's maybe something fishy going on, and I'd back away. Next time you're passing that way, ask the bloke; he should say 'Yes', especially if it helps identification.
Just my tuppence-worth... :friends:

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Geek99 said:

Why not ask if you can hire it for a week for a minimal sum plus deposit ?

That's actually a great idea, I might just try that!

Anyway, yesterday it was announced stores here in Belgium will be closed again starting on saturday for about four weeks, so I'll have some time to think. 

Thanks to all of you for the advice!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1