Why become a member? ×

Best underwear for tone?

Stub Mandrel

Best Pants for Tone?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Which type of underwear gives you eth best tone?

• Boxers have the right level of aggression for my pick playing.
    • Briefs complement my fingerstyle.
    • My thong is essential for a real scooped slap tone.
    • Slightly off-colour billy-Ys give me an authentic 60's tone with my Hofner.
    • These frilly panties bring extra comp-lexity to those 7th b9th augmented 13th chords.
    • To get the best djent from my seven string I go commando under my lederhosen.
    • For an authentic sound it doesn't matter what you wear as long as it's roadworn.

70's ones which have been worn for years onstage and in the studio, infused with smoke and sweat and look like they have a story to tell. They have those authentic crease patterns and just feel more comfortable. You just can't replicate that feel or mojo with new jocks, even ones which have been relic'd by an expert.

2ED00A86-229A-4EEA-A5CE-3D0F0A1AFA62.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

26 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

70's ones which have been worn for years onstage and in the studio, infused with smoke and sweat and look like they have a story to tell. They have those authentic crease patterns and just feel more comfortable. You just can't replicate that feel or mojo with new jocks, even ones which have been relic'd by an expert.

2ED00A86-229A-4EEA-A5CE-3D0F0A1AFA62.jpeg

I can't afford genuine, vintage undercrackers so I buy the cheap ones from Lidl's 'Middle Isle Of Mystery', a twenty-four can slab of brown ale and a couple of microwave curries and get to work relicing my own. 

A top tip is to unpick a bit of stitching on the elastic to give a vintage vibe sag to the gusset. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, TheLowDown said:

What happens if you don't wear anything? Hypothetically of course, for science.

I feel like there are no restrictions and I can even play a 9 over a 7 chord.

Naturally winter limits some habits, but no underwear feels like smooth unlined fretboard.