Why become a member? ×

NBD - Overwater

Owen

I bought a 6 String 36" scale Overwater on here many years ago. I wanted to try F#.  It needed an awful lot of love from Overwater but they did it and it was a stupendous instrument. But the 6th string freaked me out so I sold it.

However, it sounded SO good that I promised myself when a 5 string one appeared that I would give it a crack. It did appear and it is quite the machine. It is a 5 string neck-through Custom Deluxe Progress Series III. It will be 20 years old in a month from today.

The clarity and evenness of response from the very bottom to the very top is really something to behold. I have been through WAY too many basses (but it was a lot of fun) and this is as good as the "best" it not better than all of them - but then subjectivity does come in at this level. There really is not much I have not tried and this is RIGHT up there. If it was built in the US then we would be laying eggs with excitment about them. The craftsmanship is all that and more. The marriage of pickups and preamp is beautifully balanced -  it is whisper quiet and the shielding is bomb proof. The B string is so organically part of the instrument that it is adictive. I have has some great B strings (see the start of this paragraph) so am qualified to comment. The voicing is such that I can wallow around at the bottom for veses and verses and it does not sound remotely "too much" or out of place. If you ever get the chance then do not hesitate. What a machine it is.

Edited by owen
to change emphasis
  • Like 5

Very far from ideal lighting, but you get the vibe. The neck through thang is very much of it's time and I cannot deny that aesthetically I would prefer a complete top with no stripes. I did consider having the top routed off and a complete piece of wood placed on it until someone much wiser than me told me to get a grip. 

• Haha 2

Very nice!. 

That neck through top reminds me a little of the Westone Thunder IIIA i used to covet back in the day. A very cool looking Bass - I'm a fan of the two under / three over tuner arrangement - nice short headstock good string break angles and less neck dive. 

Would love to hear some sound samples too. 

Enjoy your new, old Bass Day 👍