Why become a member? ×

1 hour ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I think I would have seen some indication by now given I’ve had it for two and half years.

Maturing Into A Beetle & Exiting The Wood

After four years or so, the larvae will start to mature around springtime. It will start to bore closer to the surface and create a pupil chamber, a hollowed out cavity which is used as a resting spot where it will spend about five weeks maturing into an adult beetle. After this maturation period is complete and the young beetle has gathered strength and hardened its shell, it then chews its way to the surface. This is why pieces of infested timber show a smattering of multiple 2mm round holes on their surfaces.

Another year and a half and you are in the clear...

Although it depends on the species, the death watch beetle can take ten years before emerging...

Edited by Stub Mandrel
  • Like 1

@Raslee - Have you put your serial number through the MM database? On the assumption that it’s wood from the same batch that is subject to this infestation, it would interesting to know if my bass was in the factory at the same time. Here’s mine....

2EA9AA89-457E-4EF1-A84D-E2C06B52A170.jpeg

Edited by hiram.k.hackenbacker
  • Like 1

I had this happen to the the body of the guitar I made myself back in the late 70s. Some two years after the instrument had been completed, one day I noticed a number of small holes had appeared in various locations on the body exactly like the one shown in the OP. I rushed out to the local hardware shop and purchased a small tin of woodworm fluid which I injected into the holes as directed. No more holes appeared, whether that was because there were no more insects left to emerge or because the treatment had killed off the others I don't know. However the glued-in neck joint failed about a year later, again whether that was due to insect activity I don't know, but several of the exit holes were in the area of the neck body joint. 

16 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

OP seems to be taking this well...

It would really bug me....

(sorry....couldn't help myself)

That’s mean, the guy is in a hole and the situation is gnawing him up from inside - be nice 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

@Raslee - Have you put your serial number through the MM database? On the assumption that it’s wood from the same batch that is subject to this infestation, it would interesting to know if my bass was in the factory at the same time. Here’s mine....

2EA9AA89-457E-4EF1-A84D-E2C06B52A170.jpeg

Mine is Nov 2018, different build code to yours too. Thanks for sharing the database, never knew it existed.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TheGreek said:

OP seems to be taking this well...

It would really bug me....

(sorry....couldn't help myself)

I'm pretty chilled, i have a stressful day job (NHS), so by comparison this can be sorted pretty easily. I'm pretty confident i won't need to 'slug' it out with Musicman 😉

My house on the otherhand........

animals-house-home-pest-control-destroy-

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, drTStingray said:

Same here 👍

To be honest there was a single pin hole when i purchased mine - GuitarGuitar knocked some money off and we thought nothing further of it...i thought maybe it was a pin hole someone one maliciously did ...but in reality who would do such a thing.

7 hours ago, Andermtc said:

I take it the 2000 Stingray that is on it's way to me should be okay.....

The ash borer issue is a fairly recent phenomena - it remains to be seen whether any other manufacturers have experienced problems which have got into production - I think Musicman was the first manufacturer to stop using ash (for scarcity reasons) - Fender was at least 6-12 months later (presumably they keep more stock, or else respond to external factors slower). 

Musicman still use it for the Joe Dart signature bass (recently made available to buy internationally from 'The Vault' - and yes - I have been considering it!!! )

The other bass I mentioned seeing discussed on the Internet was discussed by the owner on the Musicman bass forum. Musicman make far more guitars than basses but I'm not sure what other instruments they use ash for these days. Certainly not Stingrays. 

Edited by drTStingray
  • Like 1