Why become a member? ×

Many of you may have seen my Stingray Special I had up for sale recently but pulled down after there was a credible reason for mysterious appearing holes....wood worm, well actually they're not worms having since researched them to not quite death - they're more likely to be beetle larvae ! On closer inspection, what i thought were small chips were actually further holes - I've now counted approx 10 holes in total. 100% bugs and the little funkers clearly have the munchies. Great bass weight loss program!

So I emailed both Musicman and GuitarGuitar. Both have been absolutely amazing.GuitarGuitar have spoken with Musicman who intend to replace the body and i will be sending the bass to GuitarGuitar (assume for assembly). Needless to say the bass is locked away in its case in a colder part of the house. I do remain slightly anxious the little funkers maybe out and about checking out my book case and woe betide any of my other basses - I will look to see if i can get anything that eradicates them at the weekend (tips please)...perhaps my closest religious affiliation is Buddism/Funkadelic but my inner peace will take a miss on this one.....the funkers shall rue the day!

I shall await the next stages from Musicman but it's all looking promising....and it's looking promising that i won't need to sell now -sorry for all those interested, i never wanted to sell if I'm honest and i cannot praise GuitarGuitar enough for their support - always been impressed with their commitment to customer support. A further massive shout out to the BassChatter who alerted me to this known issue - i would have never considered this in a millipede years ;)

Bye funkers:

IMG_3521.thumb.JPG.63669bf1cc3a9776e4a18cb9704413d0.JPG

Edited by Raslee
  • Like 12

So maybe emerald ash borer beetle, which is decimating American ash trees and can survive cold and heat and doesn't have native to America predators or trees genetically programmed to fight them, and is now heading our way from Russia

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

How many similar cases have there been?

Should probably go and check mine 😦

I've read about one other on the Internet - I think they replaced the bass as it was brand new (had a small hole appear in the body).

No wonder they stopped using ash and will definitely keep an eye on my recent ones. 

Edited by drTStingray
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, drTStingray said:

I've read about one other on the Internet - I think they replaced the bass as it was brand new (had a small hole appear in the body).

No wonder they stopped using ash and will definitely keep an eye on my recent ones. 

Just checked mine and there are no holes 👍

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

insect bored resonation channels could catch on and become a coveted selling point like rolled fingerboard edges or roasted necks.

They just need to come up with a marketing angle and they're onto a winner. 

'The all new Stingray. Now contains Toneworms.'

• Like 2
  • Haha 3